Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 407

post #6091 of 17627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMateoHead View Post


I have tried Nickelback. Most rock, and hard rock, is recorded like s***.

 

Is Nickleback even a real rock band anymore?  biggrin.gif   wink.gif

post #6092 of 17627

No, they're pop.  ;)

post #6093 of 17627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Come on people...don't make me break out the PS

 

I broke out the Photoshop the other night when I had to caption some political pictures.  Pretty funny stuff.  I just won't tell all of you which ID I use on the Interweb to post such comedy.  I try to keep the different aspects of my life private from others.  eek.gif    tongue.gif

post #6094 of 17627

I just got my HE400 in this afternoon.  I have to tell you that I'm not very impressed.  The only substantial difference that I can hear is a wider soundstage than my moded Monoprice $20 phones.  The one huge drawback is that they just aren't very loud.  I have the iBasso D10 cranked all of the way up to get near my normal listening level.  My Monoprice, Etymotics, and Grado's get cranked less than half way to get to that level.  Is there something wrong with these or is this normal?

post #6095 of 17627
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

I'll be a critique here and say that you made a mistake making that greyscale. The identity of HE400 lies in its dark blue hue.

I always wanted to do a color exclusion photo with the blue of the HE-400. 

post #6096 of 17627
Quote:
Originally Posted by gistmarrs View Post

I just got my HE400 in this afternoon.  I have to tell you that I'm not very impressed.  The only substantial difference that I can hear is a wider soundstage than my moded Monoprice $20 phones.  The one huge drawback is that they just aren't very loud.  I have the iBasso D10 cranked all of the way up to get near my normal listening level.  My Monoprice, Etymotics, and Grado's get cranked less than half way to get to that level.  Is there something wrong with these or is this normal?

 

Sounds like they need some more power.

post #6097 of 17627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Sexy.

Hifiman needs a red planar magnetic.

 

What about the special exclusive wife/girlfriend pink edition HE-400?

 

 

post #6098 of 17627
Quote:
Originally Posted by gistmarrs View Post

I just got my HE400 in this afternoon.  I have to tell you that I'm not very impressed.  The only substantial difference that I can hear is a wider soundstage than my moded Monoprice $20 phones.  The one huge drawback is that they just aren't very loud.  I have the iBasso D10 cranked all of the way up to get near my normal listening level.  My Monoprice, Etymotics, and Grado's get cranked less than half way to get to that level.  Is there something wrong with these or is this normal?

That's NOT a drawback, you just didn't do enough research beforehand to anticipate how much amping is required. Your own fault.

 

Planar magnetic headphones are much less efficient than most dynamic headphones, and even though HE400 is the most efficient of the family line, it still isn't (from an absolute standpoint).

post #6099 of 17627
Lol, loudness =/= quality
post #6100 of 17627
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

Is Nickleback even a real rock band anymore?  biggrin.gif    wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

No, they're pop.  wink.gif


Bahahaha. That was the best. I'm Canadian and they play them all the time on rock stations (mostly part in due to the radio regulations) but still.

All mainstream music nowadays is "pop". Doesn't matter it's its hip hop, dance, rock. It's all pop.
post #6101 of 17627
Quote:

That's NOT a drawback, you just didn't do enough research beforehand to anticipate how much amping is required. Your own fault.

 

Planar magnetic headphones are much less efficient than most dynamic headphones, and even though HE400 is the most efficient of the family line, it still isn't (from an absolute standpoint).

OK.  I guess I'll order the Schiit M/M combo.  I read several people say that they were efficient enough to be powered by an iPod or other portable player. 

 

 

Quote:

Lol, loudness =/= quality

I never said or even insinuated that. Thanks for your help.

post #6102 of 17627

Well I assume there is a good bit of your not liking their sound signature as well.  They can sound very decent out of a recent generation iPod touch/iPhone.  I'm assuming since you have a Grado, you might be accustomed to a brighter sound with upper mid energy.  I said earlier in the thread that the reason lots of people aren't too impressed with the HE-400 right off the bat compared to something that would wow you at very first listen (like a Grado) is because the two take directly opposite approaches to the upper midrange.

post #6103 of 17627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Lol, loudness =/= quality

 

Yes, isn't that the truth.

 

I think on this thread, we should provide the following policy disclaimer:  "Poor product performance experienced by you (the buyer) may be a direct result of you expecting far too much from the product you are buying.  The perceived poor performance can not be directly correlated to the opinions of others who have posted with great excitement on this particular product in this thread."

 

tongue.gif        biggrin.gif

post #6104 of 17627

that very well may be it.  I will give them some more time.  Thank you for the feedback.

post #6105 of 17627
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

No, they're poop.  ;)

Fixed wink_face.gif

 

J/K I have  heard worse.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**