Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 406

post #6076 of 18134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Come on people...don't make me break out the PS. 

 

Im way ahead of you biggrin.gif

post #6077 of 18134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy500 View Post

I have a quick question

 

My HE-400's atm sound pretty bad for rock due to the sole reason that I tend to hear all the different instruments (Guitars, Drums, Cymbals, etc) coming from 1 location and not spread out.

 

If I listen to pretty much any other genre the sound seperation is fantastic for me. But when I turn on rock songs... It just doesn't work and ruins the songs for me. It sounds as if the instruments are trying to play over each other and not with each other.

 

Is it my FiiO E10?

Is it the fact that HE-400's don't do a good job with rock?

Or finally, is it the fact the songs I have are poorly mastered (.Flac files ripped from the CD's)? The songs in question are from bands like 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Green Day, etc.

 

Edit: Using velour pads now. I remember rock songs sounding better on my pleather pads but I could be wrong :)


I have tried Nickelback. Most rock, and hard rock, is recorded like s***. It is compressed to the point of clipping, and your HE-400s will reveal the shortcomings and recording choices. No, the headphones are not perfect, but I have been exploring my collection and realized that many of the recordings I tend not to like also tend to be badly recorded! Its too bad, as a rock CDs can sound amazing when they are done well.

post #6078 of 18134
I would recommend line-out from your sound card. You will still have all the features
post #6079 of 18134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMateoHead View Post


I have tried Nickelback. Most rock, and hard rock, is recorded like s***. It is compressed to the point of clipping, and your HE-400s will reveal the shortcomings and recording choices. No, the headphones are not perfect, but I have been exploring my collection and realized that many of the recordings I tend not to like also tend to be badly recorded! Its too bad, as a rock CDs can sound amazing when they are done well.

 

Yup, rock music mastering really went down the crapper. I recommend Tool if you're looking for excellently mastered rock music (and awesome music), specifically Lateralus and 10,000 Days.

post #6080 of 18134
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

Yup, rock music mastering really went down the crapper. I recommend Tool if you're looking for excellently mastered rock music (and awesome music), specifically Lateralus and 10,000 Days.

Another great band with an amazing discography. I can't highly recommend them enough.
post #6081 of 18134

I like how Primus sounds on the HE-400's. A bit of a different kind of rock though.

post #6082 of 18134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy500 View Post

I have a quick question

 

My HE-400's atm sound pretty bad for rock due to the sole reason that I tend to hear all the different instruments (Guitars, Drums, Cymbals, etc) coming from 1 location and not spread out.

 

If I listen to pretty much any other genre the sound seperation is fantastic for me. But when I turn on rock songs... It just doesn't work and ruins the songs for me. It sounds as if the instruments are trying to play over each other and not with each other.

 

Is it my FiiO E10?

Is it the fact that HE-400's don't do a good job with rock?

Or finally, is it the fact the songs I have are poorly mastered (.Flac files ripped from the CD's)? The songs in question are from bands like 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Green Day, etc.

 

Edit: Using velour pads now. I remember rock songs sounding better on my pleather pads but I could be wrong :)

 

Those bands you mentioned, I don't have much experience with.  I would say maybe it has something to do with how they're mastered.  listen to an old 70's song like Yes - Roundabout on FLAC, you should get amazing separation.  Maybe the reason why you're not getting separation with bands like 3 Doors Down and Nickelback is that it's just not there, i dont know.

 

Like I did with ninjames, I emailed him a few tracks for him to listen to to make sure that I wasn't going crazy with my gear, I'd be happy to do that for you as well

post #6083 of 18134

Well, I've been enjoying my HE-400's for a of couple weeks now and so far so good. These phones really do sound nice. Like many people in this thread, I've experienced some issues with recessed mids and slightly harsh highs. But for the most part, listening to these cans is a pleasure. I've really come to enjoy their (planar) sound, which has grown on me more and more as I've listened to them. 

 

As far as amps / DAC's go, I'm still searching. I posted about it in another thread, so I'll spare you the specifics. The issue I'm having is finding an entry level amp / DAC (whether that be as a combo or as two separate units) that has a line out for computer spakers.

 

I'm using an Audioengine D1 as of right now, and it is pretty alright. If anybody has any other ideas, let me know.  


Edited by aschnickelfritz - 1/24/13 at 1:50pm
post #6084 of 18134

 

My terrible attempt at modding that iPhone wallpaper, too bad I don't own an iPhone.

post #6085 of 18134
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

My terrible attempt at modding that iPhone wallpaper, too bad I don't own an iPhone.

Nice; maybe a bit overboard in terms of saturation this time though (unless that is what you are going for).

post #6086 of 18134
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMac View Post

 

Those bands you mentioned, I don't have much experience with.  I would say maybe it has something to do with how they're mastered.  listen to an old 70's song like Yes - Roundabout on FLAC, you should get amazing separation.  Maybe the reason why you're not getting separation with bands like 3 Doors Down and Nickelback is that it's just not there, i dont know.

 

Like I did with ninjames, I emailed him a few tracks for him to listen to to make sure that I wasn't going crazy with my gear, I'd be happy to do that for you as well

I'd like that, thanks ^_^

 

Also from reading the 3 replies I'm just going to make an educated guess and say its the mastering in my case.

I need to find some better Alternative Rock.

post #6087 of 18134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Nice; maybe a bit overboard in terms of saturation this time though (unless that is what you are going for).

 

I can tone it down, my laptop's screen has some really wonky colors so Im not sure how this looks on a proper panel.

post #6088 of 18134

 

Perhaps this is closer to reality?

post #6089 of 18134
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

 

Perhaps this is closer to reality?

Much better :)

post #6090 of 18134
Sexy.

Hifiman needs a red planar magnetic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**