Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 405

post #6061 of 18084
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskaz View Post


Right. I guess my main concern is double amping the Schiit since my preference is to use the Yamaha receiver and what sort of impact that will have on the Magni/Asgard. I would hate to negate any improvements over the E17. Though from my brief test with the E17 double amped to my receiver, it seemed fine.


After some reading, you can perform a line-out with the E17 using the L7 attachment, then connect to a line-in on the receiver, and connect the external amp via line-out.  That will bypass both the E17+receiver amplifiers.  You can then connect headphones directly to the amp.  That way, you are still able to have the functionality of your receiver and have separate amplification for your headphones. 

 

Start with USB into the L7 attached to the E17. 

Then connect the E17+L7 via line-out to a free line-in on the Yamaha.

Then connect the Magni/Asgard to a line-out from the Yamaha.

Last, connect your headphones to the amp and enjoy!


Edited by modulor - 1/24/13 at 9:11am
post #6062 of 18084
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post


After some reading, you can perform a line-out with the E17 using the L7 attachment, then connect to a line-in on the receiver, and connect the external amp via line-out.  That will bypass both the E17+receiver amplifiers.  You can then connect headphones directly to the amp.  That way, you are still able to have the functionality of your receiver and have separate amplification for your headphones. 

 

Start with USB into the L7 attached to the E17. 

Then connect the E17+L7 via line-out to a free line-in on the Yamaha.

Then connect the Magni/Asgard to a line-out from the Yamaha.

Last, connect your headphones to the amp and enjoy!

 

I assume the USB would be running to the PC? That's where things get squirrely:

 

Besides having to deal with handling DD/DTS (which the receiver does, but will not downmix out of anywhere but the headphone jack), I would also lose Silent Cinema which I would like to retain for movies. Is double amping the Schiit going to be that bad? That's what I'm curious about. If it is, and I really want to go the route of separate amp, I may be better off with the additional sound card and going Line Out from it. This route requires more manual intervention though which is why I was leaning toward the headphone out on the receiver.

 

So bottom line: is double amping either Schiit product going to negate any benefits I would get over something like the E17 (which I do not have to keep- still have time to return).

 

I would try the Schiit but I already have several pieces of gear being auditioned...that I will likely return. I'm not usually the type to do that and I'm sure amazon frowns on it some :) I know Schiit explicitly allows for it though.

 

I appreciate your help :)

post #6063 of 18084
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskaz View Post

 

I assume the USB would be running to the PC? That's where things get squirrely:

 

Besides having to deal with handling DD/DTS (which the receiver does, but will not downmix out of anywhere but the headphone jack), I would also lose Silent Cinema which I would like to retain for movies. Is double amping the Schiit going to be that bad? That's what I'm curious about. If it is, and I really want to go the route of separate amp, I may be better off with the additional sound card and going Line Out from it. This route requires more manual intervention though which is why I was leaning toward the headphone out on the receiver.

 

So bottom line: is double amping either Schiit product going to negate any benefits I would get over something like the E17 (which I do not have to keep- still have time to return).

 

I would try the Schiit but I already have several pieces of gear being auditioned...that I will likely return. I'm not usually the type to do that and I'm sure amazon frowns on it some :) I know Schiit explicitly allows for it though.

 

I appreciate your help :)

 

After my experience with double amping, I would avoid it like the plague. When I used to own the E17 I connected it into my phone and it introduced some serious distortion, especially in the bass.

post #6064 of 18084
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

After my experience with double amping, I would avoid it like the plague. When I used to own the E17 I connected it into my phone and it introduced some serious distortion, especially in the bass.

I used to double amp out of my MacBook with an E11. It seemed to work alright, I didn't have any issues. Although you are right, avoid it if you really can!
post #6065 of 18084

I used to double from the headphone out of my STX to my Asgard, and it sounded just as clean as the line out. That's a really clean amp though so it might be different with another source. If there's audible distortion from the first amp it's gonna be amplified.

post #6066 of 18084

I suppose my phone's audio had distortion then, no surprises there.

post #6067 of 18084
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyD View Post

iPhone 5 wallpaper. Enjoy.





Headphone porn.
post #6068 of 18084

I have a quick question

 

My HE-400's atm sound pretty bad for rock due to the sole reason that I tend to hear all the different instruments (Guitars, Drums, Cymbals, etc) coming from 1 location and not spread out.

 

If I listen to pretty much any other genre the sound seperation is fantastic for me. But when I turn on rock songs... It just doesn't work and ruins the songs for me. It sounds as if the instruments are trying to play over each other and not with each other.

 

Is it my FiiO E10?

Is it the fact that HE-400's don't do a good job with rock?

Or finally, is it the fact the songs I have are poorly mastered (.Flac files ripped from the CD's)? The songs in question are from bands like 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Green Day, etc.

 

Edit: Using velour pads now. I remember rock songs sounding better on my pleather pads but I could be wrong :)


Edited by Bboy500 - 1/24/13 at 11:55am
post #6069 of 18084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy500 View Post

I have a quick question

 

My HE-400's atm sound pretty bad for rock due to the sole reason that I tend to hear all the different instruments (Guitars, Drums, Cymbals, etc) coming from 1 location and not spread out.

 

If I listen to pretty much any other genre the sound seperation is fantastic for me. But when I turn on rock songs... It just doesn't work and ruins the songs for me. It sounds as if the instruments are trying to play over each other and not with each other.

 

Is it my FiiO E10?

Is it the fact that HE-400's don't do a good job with rock?

Or finally, is it the fact the songs I have are poorly mastered (.Flac files ripped from the CD's)? The songs in question are from bands like 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Green Day, etc.

 

Edit: Using velour pads now. I remember rock songs sounding better on my pleather pads but I could be wrong :)

 

I cant speak for the other 2, but I know from personal experience that Nickelback sounds bad on my HifiMAN as well.... even FLACs so their mastering is not very good.

I would say it is indeed the mastering because as you say, they sound "wrong with it" and that is particularly attributed to badly mastered recordings.

So yes, shoddy mastering probably :)

Cheers!

post #6070 of 18084
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyD View Post

iPhone 5 wallpaper. Enjoy.

 

 

I'll be a critique here and say that you made a mistake making that greyscale. The identity of HE400 lies in its dark blue hue.

post #6071 of 18084
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

I'll be a critique here and say that you made a mistake making that greyscale. The identity of HE400 lies in its dark blue hue.

 

If only the blue parts wee colorized and the rest greyscale, that would be awesome.

post #6072 of 18084
Thread Starter 

Come on people...don't make me break out the PS. 

post #6073 of 18084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabse View Post

Do you find xb500/700/1000 pads to be uncomfortable due to warmth/sweat?

They were torture on my ears. The sweat and stickiness were unbearable.

If the J$ pads are similar in that regard, then hell no, I'd never try it.
post #6074 of 18084
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

If only the blue parts wee colorized and the rest greyscale, that would be awesome.

Not that difficult, just outline the cup/extender areas, mask them, and make the rest greyscale.

post #6075 of 18084
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

I used to double from the headphone out of my STX to my Asgard, and it sounded just as clean as the line out. That's a really clean amp though so it might be different with another source. If there's audible distortion from the first amp it's gonna be amplified.

So it sounds like everything else. It works well for some, not so well for others! I guess I'll just have to buy one and try it out :)

 

On the plus side, I found the thread where folks had used the Beyer Velours on the HEs. I went ahead and bought some to try. Hopefully they improve comfort without affecting the sound too much.


Edited by whiskaz - 1/24/13 at 1:22pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**