Thanks for the info ninjames. I was also deciding on the e17 or the upcoming e12 which has much more power than the e17. Wondering if I should wait for the e12
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 401
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6002 of 170471/23/13 at 12:58pmQuote:
...i'm really in trouble with its trebles. I listened all style of Music form Infected Mushroom to Schubert and besides some jazz and some EDM I really can't live with these trebles . With he-400, my favourite Schubert piece (String quintet op 163) makes me grind my teeth.Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by Sorrodje
I think we have the same experience and i have same feelings.
I'm using a Aune T1 Tube DAC/AMP ( Like RMac http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/5700#post_9077560) and fortunately, it seems I found a tube which does a good job to tame these sibilant , sparkly trebles . IMO the problem is not only with trebles but with recessed mids. A bit lack of mids gives the focus on trebles ant that's hurting me. I tried to EQ my he-400 and the results is +2 for midrange and -2 from 8 KhZ to highest frequencies. Then I change the tube for a 6DJ8 instead of my 6N23p-EB .. and it made a kind of miracle.
Forwarder mids and a bit tamed trebles tend to eliminate sibilance in most cases. I listened to very different music yesterday and I think I could now keep my he-400 . Not sure yet but I think I can :)
I should be honest and say that it could only be a "brain and ears" burn but he-400 stays quite hard to listen from another source (my living room gear)
A week later: I Iike these headphones more and more. it seems my brain and ears need time to accustom to their signature. and Aune T1 + 6DJ8 Tube ( both Mullard and Amperex) seems to do the best job . Very strange experience in fact but I'm happy to be able to enjoy the he-400 now. I would have been so disapointed to really dislike the hifimans.
i was disappointed too when I listened to my Ultrasone SP for the first time but only few hours was necessary to understand the SP.post #6003 of 170471/23/13 at 1:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by wje
Oh, and I'm very happy to be on the 400th page, too -- or, at least I hope it's still the 400th page.
Edit: I see it wasn't possible for me to post on the 400th page. Well, maybe if Ninjames didn't have to post "3" times on the 400th page, some of us others could have made it too. Such a selfish, greedy guy.
:] You snooze you lose!
Alternatively, we can say that every page before 400 wasn't up to par, but every page above 400 is now exceeding expectations? You're posting on a page that is one better than 400!post #6004 of 170471/23/13 at 2:07pmThread Starter
^^ Snooze you loose Wayner...
Oh, official announcement. The first poster of the 400th page wins a free pair of j$ pads and Jergpads!!!! Wait....that's me. Then I congratulate myself.
Edited by MattTCG - 1/23/13 at 2:09pmpost #6005 of 170471/23/13 at 2:11pmQuote:
Really? I may have missed posting on Page # 400, but I am celebrating my 10-Year anniversary here on this forum. Yes, that's right, please feel free too look up in the right corner of my post. You will see 1/2003. That is the date that I officially joined this site. You wouldn't believe the old stories that I could tell you about. At the time, we didn't have headphones that would sound nearly as fine as those that are in circulation today. At the time, we were using two tin cans tied together in the middle with a piece of string to listen to our music. The upper frequency "sizzle" was very, very horrible screechy sibilants were like nails on a chalkboard when compared to what we have today. My, how a decade has brought about so much change in the headphone industry. Ahhh ... those were the "good old days."post #6006 of 170471/23/13 at 2:16pmThread Starter
Okay, okay congrats on the anniversary. Wayne also wins a prize. You have won two cd's that I know you will enjoy. Ray LaMontagne: Live and Casandra Wilson: Belly of the Sun. Do you accept the terms and conditions of your prize?post #6007 of 170471/23/13 at 2:27pmQuote:
No. I suspect you'll charge me $25.00 shipping on two CDs worth a total of $20.00. Have I been able to recite the terms and conditions related to the free prize that isn't so free after all?
In all serousness, I'm not sure that I have done so many upgrades to my headphones in the time spent here. Most of it has been side-steps, which can or can't be a good thing, depending on how you view it. I think with the HE-400s, I am at a good level now. But, certainly not anywhere near the Stax level or the Sennheiser Orpheus as one would expect to be at the 10-year mark. Instead, I've had too many interrogations about money spent on this hobby with my wife than I'd care to count. Additionally, I've personally spent enough money with the U.S. postal system that I can't figure out why they're even having financial issues at this point. But, I think you all get the point, and might suffer from the same derangement that I do as certainly, there must be something in the water that we get to drink around this place.post #6008 of 170471/23/13 at 2:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by wje
Really? I may have missed posting on Page # 400, but I am celebrating my 10-Year anniversary here on this forum. Yes, that's right, please feel free too look up in the right corner of my post. You will see 1/2003. That is the date that I officially joined this site. You wouldn't believe the old stories that I could tell you about. At the time, we didn't have headphones that would sound nearly as fine as those that are in circulation today. At the time, we were using two tin cans tied together in the middle with a piece of string to listen to our music. The upper frequency "sizzle" was very, very horrible screechy sibilants were like nails on a chalkboard when compared to what we have today. My, how a decade has brought about so much change in the headphone industry. Ahhh ... those were the "good old days."
And I'm assuming that you also had to walk uphill in the snow for the chance to listen to those headphones? :]post #6009 of 170471/23/13 at 2:33pmpost #6010 of 170471/23/13 at 2:40pmThread Starterpost #6011 of 170471/23/13 at 2:42pm
@ Matt:post #6012 of 170471/23/13 at 2:52pm
Sure! It would be great if you could suggest me some other headphones that will satisfy my requirements?post #6013 of 170471/23/13 at 2:55pmQuote:
Is the purpose of the other pads to make HE-400 more similar to LCD-2 or to get the most of them while retaining their specific character?post #6014 of 170471/23/13 at 2:56pmQuote:
Comfort is the primary reason I got mine.post #6015 of 170471/23/13 at 3:34pm
Well my M&M stack finally came in and I must say that I am absolutely blown away by these headphones now. I was running it off an onboard PC DAC + E11 and even though it did sound good, I felt like it was missing something. Now, this is my first dive into the head-fi world so I don't have much to compare to however, I must say that the sound coming from these headphones is phenomenal. At first, I was getting what I best describe is a buzz'ing type of bass when I tried to raise the volume. Now the bass sounds as it sound no matter how high I crank it.
Also, I don't know if I'm deaf or something, but most people say they listen to their 400's with this stack at around the 8-9 o'clock position and beyond there it is 'too loud'. I find normal comfortable listening level to be closer to 12 oclock.
Back to happy listening.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice 38 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 47 seconds ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 56 seconds ago
- › SPL PHONITOR 2 NEW HEADPHONE AMP 56 seconds ago
- › FS: (PRICE DROP) Schiit Lyr w/ stock tubes and 1960's Tesla ECC88... 1 minute ago
- › beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions. 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX50 + Rockbox finally here (Latest Update: 2014-03-25) 2 minutes ago
- › Which DAC/AMP for Hifiman He-400? 2 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 2 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob