Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 398

post #5956 of 17747

Thank you very much.

post #5957 of 17747

Can anyone comment on using the HE-400 with the Project Sunrise?  I am considering trying a hybrid amp, and have read this is somewhat comparable to the Schiit Lyr, which is what I had my eye on originally as it is apparently known to work well with the HE-400.  The prospect of building the PS is appealing and seems fun, but the ultimate goal is sound quality.  Anyone able to compare the PS and Lyr directly?  Any feedback is much appreciated as always!

post #5958 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by earphiler View Post

So you like them considerably more sonically and comfort wise than velours?

 

sidenote- beaver, loving your avatar. it's on the same level of greatness as the jack nicholson he-400 one.

 

Thanks, Ayumu seems to be enjoying the HE400 more than Jack biggrin.gif

 

Btw loving the look of the J$ beyer pads, I think im going to have to place and order for a pair soon.

post #5959 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkil View Post

 

And Just a little pic of my listening station. I can sit back and enjoy the comp or just watch some tv on mute….or better yet, put my head back against a pillow and listen with a smile.

 

 

Looking good dude.

post #5960 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

I'm planning to have a weekend exchange with another head-fier in my city in a few days, of my Jergpads vs his LCD3 pads (he uses those on his HE6). It'd be interesting to see how the mythical LCD3 earpads behave with HE400/500.

Interested lol
post #5961 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

Looking good dude.

Thanks! Something simple and easy was what I was going for.

Here is a pic of my final setup for anyone who is interested.


Kind of hard to see but there are 4 tabs/shims preside circling the back (black electrical tape). They blend in pretty nicely I think.
Edited by merkil - 1/23/13 at 5:07am
post #5962 of 17747

I have LCD-2 (rev.2) and I am considering HE-400 as a complimentary headphone that I would use mainly for electronic/ambient music and 'spacious' soundtracks, like "The Dark Knight", "Tron". I imagine I'd need a headphone that is more "open"-sounding, more "aggressive", speedy and energetic. At the same time I would like it to retain the power and richness of sound.

 

Is HE-400 better than LCD-2 in the areas mentioned above? 

Is HE-400 different enough from LCD-2 to justify its purchase as a complimentary headphone?

 

Thank you for your advice.


Edited by korzena - 1/23/13 at 5:15am
post #5963 of 17747
The HE-400 is not more open sounding with the pleathers
post #5964 of 17747

Just thought I'd post a pic of the setup. Don't know if my love for it is healthy confused_face.gif

 

 

post #5965 of 17747
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by korzena View Post

I have LCD-2 (rev.2) and I am considering HE-400 as a complimentary headphone that I would use mainly for electronic/ambient music and 'spacious' soundtracks, like "The Dark Knight", "Tron". I imagine I'd need a headphone that is more "open"-sounding, more "aggressive", speedy and energetic. At the same time I would like the complimentary headphone to retain the power and richness of sound.

 

Is HE-400 better than LCD-2 in the areas mentioned above? 

Is HE-400 different enough from LCD-2 to justify the purchase as a complimentary headphone?

 

Thank you for your advice.

 

For me, the short answer here is no. While the lcd2 may sound slightly thicker and natural in presentation, I don't think that you'd get what you're after. I had the lcd2 for a week and it sounded more similar than different to my ears. It reproduced the spectrum in a somewhat similar way to the he400 with appreciable improvements across the board. You could make an argument that the he400 would have more energy because of the slight treble spike and the handle speed pretty well. But no...I don't think that you'll get what you're after. 

post #5966 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

 

For me, the short answer here is no. While the lcd2 may sound slightly thicker and natural in presentation, I don't think that you'd get what you're after. I had the lcd2 for a week and it sounded more similar than different to my ears. It reproduced the spectrum in a somewhat similar way to the he400 with appreciable improvements across the board. You could make an argument that the he400 would have more energy because of the slight treble spike and the handle speed pretty well. But no...I don't think that you'll get what you're after. 

Thanks MattTCG for your reply.

So, as I understand there is only a chance for greater speed and impression of more energy with HE-400, but it's not a huge difference and in other areas HE-400 is not necessarily better. If this is the case I should probably look for a completely different headphone.

post #5967 of 17747
Thread Starter 

^^ Yes, I would say look at other options. But honestly, I'm not exactly sure what that option would be. Maybe someone else will chime in or you might post this as an open question in the main forum. 

post #5968 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^ Yes, I would say look at other options. But honestly, I'm not exactly sure what that option would be. Maybe someone else will chime in or you might post this as an open question in the main forum. 

Thanks!

I've posted my question in more general thread, too.

post #5969 of 17747
Thread Starter 

^^ Best of luck and let me know if you find what you're looking for. 

post #5970 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^ Best of luck and let me know if you find what you're looking for. 

OK. Thanks:)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**