or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 388

post #5806 of 20490
If you're running out of a laptop, I'd say the E17, simply because you can take it anywhere, and not need to carry any power adapters, extra amp, etc. The bass/treble control is incredibly convenient.
post #5807 of 20490

No need for portability either as my laptop is stationary and I don't use these headphones on the go. 

post #5808 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkcdn View Post


I just double checked and there's no dent... But just in case...

 

This is awesome, I need to make myself one.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani ATH 87 View Post


I just moved 10,000 songs to a playlist and removed a few to make sure you could do it, maybe it took closer to 5 seconds, sorry. If it takes you a long time you simply have your music poorly organized.

Alas this is off track though, so back to the he-400.

*facepalm*

 

The fact that my music folder has to be organized in a specific way is exactly the reason why foobar's library management is bad. It's missing a feature that basically every other media player has, and I happen to like that feature. I don't know why you're having so much trouble comprehending this.

post #5809 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggahwhat View Post

So I'm reading this thread and a couple of budget options (I can't drop more than 200 and ideally not more than 150) for an AMP/DAC:
 

Fiio E07K at roughly 90

Fiio E17 at roughly 120

Fiio E07K + Fiio E09K for 200

SchiIt Magni for 100

Schiit Magni + Modi for 200

Schiit Magni + Cheap $50? DAC

 

What's the best value option here? 

 

[running the HE-400 exclusively from a laptop with USB-out for a DAC, no other connections (i.e. spdif) needed]

 

[stationary laptop, no need for portability]

Goes well together :)

post #5810 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

 

This is awesome, I need to make myself one.

 

*facepalm*

 

The fact that my music folder has to be organized in a specific way is exactly the reason why foobar's library management is bad. It's missing a feature that basically every other media player has, and I happen to like that feature. I don't know why you're having so much trouble comprehending this.


I have no problem comprehending that your lazy, I got that like 5 posts ago. But like I said, were off topic so back to the he-400 biggrin.gif

post #5811 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggahwhat View Post

So I'm reading this thread and a couple of budget options (I can't drop more than 200 and ideally not more than 150) for an AMP/DAC:
 

Fiio E07K at roughly 90

Fiio E17 at roughly 120

Fiio E07K + Fiio E09K for 200

SchiIt Magni for 100

Schiit Magni + Modi for 200

Schiit Magni + Cheap $50? DAC

 

What's the best value option here? 

 

[running the HE-400 exclusively from a laptop with USB-out for a DAC, no other connections (i.e. spdif) needed]

 

[stationary laptop, no need for portability]

 

ODAC sounds perfect for you.

post #5812 of 20490
Ok, so someone up there diss'd iTunes, which I use quite happily. We all have different preferences for interface design, library organization, etc—often, it's mostly about what you're used to. Is there something technically deficient about iTunes in terms of how it reproduces music? My impression is that its limitations in terms of sample rate and bit depth match those of Apple's audio hardware. Am I wrong about that? Is there something else wrong with it? Again, I'm asking about its ability to play music, not the color of the widget in the lower-left corner of the third window from the top.
post #5813 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlapak View Post

Ok, so someone up there diss'd iTunes, which I use quite happily. We all have different preferences for interface design, library organization, etc—often, it's mostly about what you're used to. Is there something technically deficient about iTunes in terms of how it reproduces music? My impression is that its limitations in terms of sample rate and bit depth match those of Apple's audio hardware. Am I wrong about that? Is there something else wrong with it? Again, I'm asking about its ability to play music, not the color of the widget in the lower-left corner of the third window from the top.

I don't know about its compatibility with higher sample rates and bit depth, but for regular 16/44.1 playback it's just fine. People have this impression that different media players somehow forget obscure details and whatnot, but that's false. If a media player sucks at playback it's going to be noticable, dropouts and the like. Resampling can be an issue too as it can cause aliasing and such(you'll notice this on the really low and really high frequencies), but this is irrelevant if your Window's settings are at 44.1 as well as your music.

 

This is assuming volume is at 100% though. I think some media players might reduce bit-depth when you lower the volume. But not a lot of bit-depth is needed or even desirable at lower volumes.


Edited by chewy4 - 1/21/13 at 1:02pm
post #5814 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

If you're running out of a laptop, I'd say the E17, simply because you can take it anywhere, and not need to carry any power adapters, extra amp, etc. The bass/treble control is incredibly convenient.

I think I lost everyone on the second part of my post from the 'crap between the ears' hp stand... but I was wondering what you guys use for settings on the e17?  I'm using win7-64 and it shows the spdif interface automatically when the e17 is plugged in, and I max that out (it's a digital output so max level should not cause any distortion... AFAIK.  I have gain on the 17 at 6db and it seems to get plenty loud enough - but thought middle of the road would be good vs low gain - high amplification, high gain - low amplification.

 

I'm trying out the spotify premium (free 2 days or 30 days, I can't figure it out..) and trying to find the best way to get android -> e17, in case anyone here is doing the same.

post #5815 of 20490

itunes doesn't support 24 bit playback, doesn't support flac, no WASAPI, no ASIO support, no replaygain, etc. I haven't used itunes in years though so I could be wrong on some of that

post #5816 of 20490

Er yeah, forgot about the lack of FLAC support with iTunes. Haven't used it in ages either. That is really bad.

post #5817 of 20490

iTunes does support 24 bit.  Supporting flac is no big deal, just convert into wav or other lossless formats.

post #5818 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

iTunes does support 24 bit.  Supporting flac is no big deal, just convert into wav or other lossless formats.


It's a big deal if you have a large music library that is already in FLAC format.

post #5819 of 20490

I'll throw my Foobar setup out there also.  These are my two views I use in Foobar.  The first is all out full screen, the second is my minimal view.  I really like the waveform seekbar I can see how bad songs are brickwalled when I play them.

 

 

 

post #5820 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

iTunes does support 24 bit.  Supporting flac is no big deal, just convert into wav or other lossless formats.

Sure but why not just use a more convenient player? Many support FLAC natively or via extensions that are easy to download. Apple forces you to either convert to WAV or use their ALAC...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**