Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 377

post #5641 of 18087
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri_toast View Post

or this http://www.amazon.com/Creative-E-MU-8740A-Audio-Interface/dp/B004GJXTQS/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1358617907&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=e-mu+0204 it's even cheaper at B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751848-REG/E_MU_0204_USB_0204_USB_2_0.html

basically it's an amp and dac. outputs front are adjustable rear are line level.....

That looks pretty nice.  I'll have to look into it, thanks.  Any more recommendations welcomed.

post #5642 of 18087

it's plenty of power for the 400s.

i just got the stack and the magni has twice the output but like i said plenty of volume, you'll go deaf if you go past 2 o'clock . and it goes way past 24/96. sample rates up to 192 not that you'd use that for anything but mastering. btw i never used it for recording but if the chip supports it "in" it supports it "out"!

down side is probably the usb speed, with foobar you need to up the buffer if the bit rate is above 24(*see edit) other than that it's like a secret that never caught on around here. reviews are pretty telling. Most people that don't like it are looking for sound boards and costly mixers. On the cheap as a recording tool this with a mic or instrument is more than enough. As an audio outboard sound card/dac/amp, one word. fantastic

 

*edit. that particular setup was on an old p4 with flac as the source. I never noticed any lag on my current amd multi core.


Edited by ri_toast - 1/19/13 at 10:31am
post #5643 of 18087
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post

If you guys just ordered the HE-400 and still had $160 left to spend on an amp/dac for your laptop what would you guys spend your $160 on?
Save about $100 more and get the NFB-15.32, which would play stupid nice with the HE-400.

2+ watts at the HE-400's impedance, a slight warmth and smoothness... all things the HE-400 would love. 32 bit dac too.

Just doesn't have an analog in, so no using other DACs, but it does have an analog out, so you can use another amp, speakers, etc in the future.

Edit: Oh... laptop. I assume you'd wanna take it with you. I would definitely get the E17 for transportable amp/dac.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/19/13 at 11:19am
post #5644 of 18087

Ok pleathers are back on with the spacers out. SOOOO comfy.

post #5645 of 18087
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

Oh dear gosh, I'm quite weak in the knees at the moment.  Never in my lifetime has such a package arrived on my doorstep.  Well, maybe with the exception of my H/K AVR-7200 68 Lb. Flagship receiver.

The motherload has arrived.  Gorgeous.  Just gorgeous!!!







The box is chock full of pairs of leather ear pads.  Somewhere within, there might be some Denon pads.  I need to have some time to do some counting, categorizing, etc.  Whew!  Out of breath.  I need to slip a pair on, butnot until I've counted and verified everything, too.

I'm local to northern Virginia, Maryland and DC, so I can entertain a local exchange.

Wow, that's impressive.

I just got thru this morning checking out my new Lawton Denon pads both on Denon's and on my HE-400s. I'd ordered them before I pulled the trigger on the Hifiman's. They are really nice, well made, and for both headphones fit great, and add some 'focus/detail' to the signature. On the HE-400s,compared to the pleathers, it maybe takes just a bit away from then width of the soundstage, but not much.

I decided for now to keep the Lawtons on my D2K's and wait for Jeremy's leathers. I"ll be really curious to see what you think of them.
post #5646 of 18087

Can the HE-400 get hyped in any possible way? It pops up in pretty much half of all the threads here on head.fi :P

post #5647 of 18087
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Can the HE-400 get hyped in any possible way? It pops up in pretty much half of all the threads here on head.fi :P

It actually has nothing to do with the headphones. Folks just heard that we here in the HE-400 thread are super awesome people and they want to hang out with us. $400 is the price of admission to hang out with the cool crowd.

post #5648 of 18087
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtruitt View Post


Wow, that's impressive.

I just got thru this morning checking out my new Lawton Denon pads both on Denon's and on my HE-400s. I'd ordered them before I pulled the trigger on the Hifiman's. They are really nice, well made, and for both headphones fit great, and add some 'focus/detail' to the signature. On the HE-400s,compared to the pleathers, it maybe takes just a bit away from then width of the soundstage, but not much.

I decided for now to keep the Lawtons on my D2K's and wait for Jeremy's leathers. I"ll be really curious to see what you think of them.

 

In regards to the Denon / Lawton pads with the "wedge" variation, I tried the J$ equivalent on my HE-400s and didn't like it.  The opening was a bit smaller, as it was oval and meant more towards use on the Denon headphones, themselves.  However, with the J$ leather, the ear hole is slightly smaller than the leather / pleather from HifiMAN, but it add two factors: 1) Pad thickness - since the leather pads have a bit more thickness, it can fill a void where some might find it more comfortable.  2) Since they're real leather, longevity should play a factor and it ups the class issue on the HE-400s and covers the point where HifiMAN chose to use pleather instead of real leather on their $249 - $1,100 headphones.  Denon offered the true leather pads with their headphones all along in the "D" series.  The reality of cost difference at the time of manufacturing is pennies per ear pad between the cost of pleather and true leather.

post #5649 of 18087

Yeah, I have an early version of the J$ pads for Denon and they had smaller holes whch decreased the soundstage, and thicker/harder pads which werent all that comfortable. The Lawton's are much better on both counts.

 

I was hoping the J$ beyers would be thicker, so that's great as that would provide me a better fit, and I think would improve the sound. And your right, nothing like leather.

Now, who is going to be the first to woody these? ;-)

post #5650 of 18087
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtruitt View Post

Yeah, I have an early version of the J$ pads for Denon and they had smaller holes whch decreased the soundstage, and thicker/harder pads which werent all that comfortable. The Lawton's are much better on both counts.

 

I was hoping the J$ beyers would be thicker, so that's great as that would provide me a better fit, and I think would improve the sound. And your right, nothing like leather.

Now, who is going to be the first to woody these? ;-)

 

All one has to do is buy a pair of HE-5 headphones, and gut 'em.  

 

post #5651 of 18087

Shipped my HE-300 to my buddy today. I think I might just have him go with a red paint on 'em just for differences sake. He has a vinyl cutter too, I might see if he can make a small head-fi graphic to put on the side in white or black and maybe "sorry about your wallet" on the side of the cups, maybe.

post #5652 of 18087
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjames View Post

Shipped my HE-300 to my buddy today. I think I might just have him go with a red paint on 'em just for differences sake. He has a vinyl cutter too, I might see if he can make a small head-fi graphic to put on the side in white or black and maybe "sorry about your wallet" on the side of the cups, maybe.

Damn, it could be cool to do a custom paint job or something

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

All one has to do is buy a pair of HE-5 headphones, and gut 'em.  

 

 

Wish they made all their 'phones like that. They look gorgeus, and then with some real leather pads


Edited by davidsh - 1/19/13 at 2:41pm
post #5653 of 18087
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtruitt View Post

Yeah, I have an early version of the J$ pads for Denon and they had smaller holes whch decreased the soundstage, and thicker/harder pads which werent all that comfortable. The Lawton's are much better on both counts.

 

I was hoping the J$ beyers would be thicker, so that's great as that would provide me a better fit, and I think would improve the sound. And your right, nothing like leather.

Now, who is going to be the first to woody these? ;-)

 

All one has to do is buy a pair of HE-5 headphones, and gut 'em.  

 

Wow - nice!

post #5654 of 18087
The HE-5 was prone to cracking near the connectors.
post #5655 of 18087
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

All one has to do is buy a pair of HE-5 headphones, and gut 'em.  

 

 

Wow, I want that. Looks so awesome.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**