Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 373

post #5581 of 18312

So on another note,

 

Ive been trying to widen my music pallet with these headphones and I thought I would post a find for anyone who likes female vocals and acoustic guitar. I recently started listening to an artist called Mariza (maybe some people know of her) who sings traditional portuguese music called fado, I guess it would be equivalent to folk music in English. She puts her own twist on the traditional style of fado to bring it into the 21st century. All the songs deal with some type of sorrow/longing/trials and tribulations/love. She has a gorgeous voice that I think sounds great on these cans. Her first album called Fado Em Mim did really well. She is also known for having amazing live performances.

 

So, if you are into female vocals (regardless if you can understand the words, this is world music) and acoustic guitar playing or maybe looking for something different to listen to, have a listen, you might discover something you like. 

 

 

youtube has the full album for listen surprisingly. My favourite track is track 6 on the CD (17:45 min in the link)  called "Que Deus Me Perdoe"

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ksLPqJTatA

post #5582 of 18312

I'm so annoyed by the fact that the sound gets so much better when you "break" the seal. Much more bass impact. Did you guys tried anything to improve that?

post #5583 of 18312
Quote:
Originally Posted by torresfelipe View Post

I'm so annoyed by the fact that the sound gets so much better when you "break" the seal. Much more bass impact. Did you guys tried anything to improve that?

It does have more bass, but I doubt it's better sound quality though.. You could look into jergs pad mod, though you won't get more bass
post #5584 of 18312
Quote:
Originally Posted by torresfelipe View Post

I'm so annoyed by the fact that the sound gets so much better when you "break" the seal. Much more bass impact. Did you guys tried anything to improve that?

 

 

I remember reading some pages back that if you only insert 3 tabs instead of the 4 on the pads it causes the same effect, increase in bass. Maybe my memory is wrong though.  

post #5585 of 18312

It's not a huge step backwards in quality. Seriously. 

 

I'll check on that merkil. Thanks for the advice.

post #5586 of 18312

I wish i could have the bass impact of the Beyers gel pads with the open sound of the velours. The bass with the gel pads is off the charts, more impact then my Lcd-2s, but really make vocals sound hollow and nasal.

post #5587 of 18312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post

I wish i could have the bass impact of the Beyers gel pads with the open sound of the velours. The bass with the gel pads is off the charts, more impact then my Lcd-2s, but really make vocals sound hollow and nasal.

 

If I had to guess, I'd say bass impact would be greater with velour than gel pads. I mean, when I break the seal here, bass impact is great. Getting more seal makes no sense, from this point of view.

post #5588 of 18312

Bass impact is refined with my mod, relative to unmodded pleathers. by damping the pad internally and allowing it to breath (removal of the rubber flaps) the bass is boosted in clarity and tactility, so punch is more visceral now.

 

The absolute best bass you can get out of HE400 is still with J$ beyer pads though; the extra thickness and special foam and leather make the bass extremely tight and almost pistonic on the eardrums.

post #5589 of 18312

Nice to know jerg. Seems like you found a solution to this problem. I'm ordering a pair of pleathers in case I don't like the mod and definitely try that.

post #5590 of 18312
Quote:
Originally Posted by torresfelipe View Post

Nice to know jerg. Seems like you found a solution to this problem. I'm ordering a pair of pleathers in case I don't like the mod and definitely try that.

Just follow the guide step-by-step and you'll have yourself a kickin' pair of pads.

post #5591 of 18312
Quote:
Originally Posted by torresfelipe View Post

 

If I had to guess, I'd say bass impact would be greater with velour than gel pads. I mean, when I break the seal here, bass impact is great. Getting more seal makes no sense, from this point of view.

No, the gels add the best impact I have heard yet, but they sound terrible.  They get that vacuum seal similar to the Xb series and dance around on your head, it is almost unbearable at a higher volume.

 

The gels are horrible pads that mute the sound, but I love them on the D5ks.


Edited by Fearless1 - 1/18/13 at 4:47pm
post #5592 of 18312

when I ordered my pair from head-direct, I saw that they have Hifiman leather pads and that they come with my order instead of velours. Has anybody tried the leathers?

post #5593 of 18312
Quote:
Originally Posted by l veracity l View Post

when I ordered my pair from head-direct, I saw that they have Hifiman leather pads and that they come with my order instead of velours. Has anybody tried the leathers?

Everyone has tried the pleathers (they're not real leather btw), heck, the topic of the last 7 pages of discussion has been about them, mostly because of my mod L3000.gif

post #5594 of 18312

Jerg's gonna bash me, but i came to the conclusion that i prefer the velours. There's something in the sound with the velour pads i enjoy more, can't explain exactly what.

 

I've probably done the mod wrong though.

post #5595 of 18312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post

Jerg's gonna bash me, but i came to the conclusion that i prefer the velours. There's something in the sound with the velour pads i enjoy more, can't explain exactly what.

 

I've probably done the mod wrong though.

Hey everyone has a different preference in tonality. I wanted both the weighty lower end of the pleathers and the detailed open upper end of the velours, with a midrange that blooms just the right amount without being either too overbearing or too withdrawn, and (when properly done wink.gif) the jergpads deliver all of them in spades.

 

It wouldn't surprise me if some prefer a slightly faster (velours, J$'s) or slower more romantic (unmodded pleathers) tonal balance.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**