Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 358

post #5356 of 17741
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff2 View Post


Took a look at your profile - hope you don't mind - but as a musician, how would you compare the LCD2 to the HE-400?

 

 

They are really hard to compare without having the LCD-2 still here.

 

If your looking to recreate the sound of sitting behind the drums, the LCD-2 will get you closer to that sound.  It has a more detailed texture of actually hitting a drumhead.  Almost sounds like real life on a well recorded album, listen to Chesky Dynamic Drum Test, it's amazing on the LCD-2.

 

Really, I loved the sound of the LCD-2 but the weight and soundstage were not good at all to me.  HE-400 has better soundstage, air,  instrument separation, and I want to say speed also.  Wish I still had them here to better compare.

post #5357 of 17741
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGuyG View Post

Dilemma, got a fatter paycheck than expected, debating whether to get the Lyr now or stick with the Magni and add some horsepower to my Maxima... What do you guys think? Magni and add about 15whp to my car or get the Lyr?

 

 

As a former Maxima owner, and current HE-400 owner... I say get the Asgard and pocket the rest.  The Asgard seems to match well to the HE-400 and, according to Schiit, is preferred to the Lyr for this specific set of cans.

post #5358 of 17741

I know that since these are open they will not do nearly as good of a job at sound leakage as closed, but will everyone be able to hear exactly what I'm listening to in a quiet room? or are they not quite that bad. 

post #5359 of 17741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post

Well, after hearing my HE-400's this whole afternoon, i noticed only one thing that is bothering me a little: There's some pronounced sibilance in some songs, specially on vocals.

 

Is that normal, or is my HE-400 defective?


Sibalence can also be recording related. For the most part, this hasn't been a huge issue for me.

 

I would try playing with the EQ a bit to see if you can get a better result. Start by targeting upper frequencies 7-8 Khz. Given that most of the human voice is resolved far below that, however, I would also look (seriously) between about 500 hz - 4 khz. I have tamed vocals somewhat before by trimming between 1-4 khz or a little higher.

 

Most people here would say to use a parabolic EQ like Electri-Q or something like that. But I think that actually makes it harder to "diagnose" a problem frequency since it "grabs" neighboring frequencies and drags them down too. Start with a regular, crappy slider with as many bands as possible. Then use a parabolic to get a more refined result. I use a 30-band with foobar for example.

 

But I would also flip between what you think is a bad recording, and a really good one, to balance the impact of the EQ. You want to fix a problem, not lose fidelity for all other listening conditions.

post #5360 of 17741
Quote:
Originally Posted by l veracity l View Post

I know that since these are open they will not do nearly as good of a job at sound leakage as closed, but will everyone be able to hear exactly what I'm listening to in a quiet room? or are they not quite that bad. 

In a quiet room, they will be able to pick out word for word sitting four feet from you. They'll be able to pick out the song across your average dining room, if they concentrate.

 

Basically, to other people, it sounds like you're listening from a laptop or like it's a phone ringtone or something lol.

post #5361 of 17741

I'll put it like this.

 

When I let my brother demo the HE-400 at his place, as he was listening to them, his gf (sitting 10-15 feet across the room) said 'that sounds better than our stereo system.'

 

Of course it's a lot of exaggeration and humor on her part, but you get the idea.

post #5362 of 17741

I listen to a ton of EDM, Rap, R&B and the bass reproduction is on point. If you think there's not enough bass from the HE-400, get a new DAC or AMP. Or your music files are not up to par and are mastered like crap.

post #5363 of 17741
Quote:
Originally Posted by earphiler View Post

 

My leatherette band buttoned in only at each end.

 

(listening to Gui Boratto as well).

 

The added comfort is indeed nice. Takes the pressure off

Is that the one you can find on eBay for like $12 or something? Been thinking about buying one for a couple weeks now lol.

post #5364 of 17741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron1006 View Post

Is that the one you can find on eBay for like $12 or something? Been thinking about buying one for a couple weeks now lol.

Yeah, that's the same one.

post #5365 of 17741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Closed headphones will always have more bass feedback and reverb, to give a sense of having more bass. In any case, I feel that presence is more or less comparable, with the HE-400's bass being a lot more refined. Think of it as an open (MUCH more so), highly refined M50, with similar bass and treble emphasis.

Just wanna state that I'm a big M50 fan, and the HE-400 should blow you away.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerToast View Post

I came from the ATH-M50's as well. At first the bass may disappoint you, because I think the ATH-M50's certainly have more bass quantity (and more reverb and all that, like Mad Lust Envy said). But if you're like me, with time you'll appreciate the HE-400's bass much more than the ATH-M50's because of it's detail and texture. Just don't expect the bass impact to floor you.

Thanks guys.  I really appreciate the info.


Edited by CPhoenix - 1/16/13 at 7:20pm
post #5366 of 17741

Yeah i got it from amazon, but I'd imagine you could find it elsewhere.

 

It's comfy :)

 

this might be a better pic


Edited by earphiler - 1/16/13 at 7:50pm
post #5367 of 17741

The Lake People G109-S arrived a few hours ago.  I've got it running with the ODAC & HE-400.

 

The sound?  I'm pretty sure I've died & gone to heaven.  Just phenomenal sound quality.  It's worth every penny (and more), in my experience so far.

 

It's freakishly transparent.. and makes the HE-400 sound utterly effortless.  The sound is hypnotically clean, effortless, & natural.  Tremendous depth and detail.  I can't believe the quality of instrument separation, detail, and tonal accuracy I'm hearing.  Just astounding.  It makes the O2 sound, comparatively, slow and muddy basshead.gif.

 

My solid state, desktop amp search is over.  This delivers everything I was looking for.

 

Give me some time to pick my jaw off the floor and gather my thoughts.


Edited by FlySweep - 1/16/13 at 8:15pm
post #5368 of 17741
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

The Lake People G109-S arrived a few hours ago.  I've got it running with the ODAC & HE-400.

 

The sound?  I'm pretty sure I've died & gone to heaven.  Just phenomenal sound quality.  It's worth every penny (and more), in my experience so far.

 

It's freakishly transparent.. and makes the HE-400 sound utterly effortless.  The sound is hypnotically clean, effortless, & natural.  Tremendous depth and detail.  I can't believe the quality of instrument separation, detail, and tonal accuracy I'm hearing.  Just astounding.  It makes the O2 sound, comparatively, slow and muddy basshead.gif.

 

My solid state, desktop amp search is over.  This delivers everything I was looking for.

 

Give me some time to pick my jaw off the floor and gather my thoughts.


Glad you like the amp! I would be interested in more A/B comparisons, since I have seen some measurements of that amp and it is quite different than the O2.

post #5369 of 17741
Quote:
Originally Posted by earphiler View Post

Yeah i got it from amazon, but I'd imagine you could find it elsewhere.

 

It's comfy :)

 

this might be a better pic

 

It's comfy indeed but I can't believe you guys are scrunching up the stock headband to snap all the buttons like that!  eek.gif

 

I tried it for 1 minute and then undid it and the stock headband look battered and abused.

post #5370 of 17741
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyD View Post

 

It's comfy indeed but I can't believe you guys are scrunching up the stock headband to snap all the buttons like that!  eek.gif

 

I tried it for 1 minute and then undid it and the stock headband look battered and abused.

You did it wrong then. The correct way is only to button the two buttons on the very ends, and leave the middle parts open.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**