Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 355

post #5311 of 18107

Salt shakers are tasty with HE-400.

 

Headband is definitely arriving today... the anticipation.

 

Kind of Blue is a personal favorite of mine. Always relaxes, never gets old.


Edited by earphiler - 1/16/13 at 10:57am
post #5312 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

 

I got 836. Of course, that's in the span of 9 days. Might even end up beating the anime thread.

 

 

Know what's great with these? Merzbow. When a headphone just meshes perfectly with one of your favourite genres. Noise and shoegaze, just phenomenal on the 400. 


That's what I'm queuing up first when I get home...some Merzbow (and his various collaborations of course).  The past few days I've felt like a kid in toy store, running around my music collection trying everything in sight...while still trying to not get ahead of myself and give a deserving amount of time to each artist and genre.

post #5313 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUZMISL View Post

 

As for impressions, only been using them for an hour or so and I already much prefer the comfort. The main reason I wanted to change is because it is currently very hot where I live (regularly high 30's (100 Fahrenheit)) if not more. Was 40 degrees on Christmas day!

 

I'm not sure how good I am at describing what I hear but the first thing I noticed was that the bass was not as prominent. It's all still present, after listening more I think it is just quicker to decay, tighter?

 

I'm noticing the treble more but it sounds great, more airy. Noticing the mids more also, I think both these are because the bass is not as dominant.

 

I was using the pleathers with the spacer still inside so perhaps the change of pads was more significant than if I was not using the spacer?

Good description, I'd say it's about on par with my experience after a short period with velour (to having forgotten the signature) to pleathers for a few weeks back to velour.

 

Definitely more airy, bass dissipates quicker than pleather imo (probably because it's not the perfectly tight seal like pleather? dunno) but that's not a bad thing, it allows for less of a V-shaped signature so many attribute to HE-400 with stock config of pleather (mids less emphasized).

 

With velour, it honestly reminds me of HD650 with still more bass, unreal imaging, and the speed/detail needed for EDM. It definitely appears brighter, though thinned a bit in certain details. Certain instrument/samples less emphasized seem recessed, whereas the prominent instruments/samples shine a bit more. Made for a lovely listening experience with Air - Moon Safari and Postal Service's album while closing my eyes and just focusing on the music (and headphone details).

 

I'd imagine any basshead who prefers raw bass, would prefer pleather. But the pleather is syrupy and has its own merits aside from that, it's a bit closer soundstage I think?

 

I can't wait to try J$ beyers sometime as it seems like a blend of the two based on Jerg's reaction.

 

At first I found velour sort of harsh and piercing when I first got he-400, but either it evened out with actual burn-in, brain burn-in, or fixing my O2 amp (making sure the solder points don't make contact with the aluminum box). That's what urged me to try pleather for a while. But returning to velour, they are now silky smooth and more forgiving of bad recordings than pleather if memory serves me right.

 

I'm bad at summarizing sonic qualities as well is the bottom line...

post #5314 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by earphiler View Post

Good description, I'd say it's about on par with my experience after a short period with velour (to having forgotten the signature) to pleathers for a few weeks back to velour.

 

Definitely more airy, bass dissipates quicker than pleather imo (probably because it's not the perfectly tight seal like pleather? dunno) but that's not a bad thing, it allows for less of a V-shaped signature so many attribute to HE-400 with stock config of pleather (mids less emphasized).

 

With velour, it honestly reminds me of HD650 with still more bass, unreal imaging, and the speed/detail needed for EDM. It definitely appears brighter, though thinned a bit in certain details. Certain instrument/samples less emphasized seem recessed, whereas the prominent instruments/samples shine a bit more. Made for a lovely listening experience with Air - Moon Safari and Postal Service's album while closing my eyes and just focusing on the music (and headphone details).

 

I'd imagine any basshead who prefers raw bass, would prefer pleather. But the pleather is syrupy and has its own merits aside from that, it's a bit closer soundstage I think?

 

I can't wait to try J$ beyers sometime as it seems like a blend of the two based on Jerg's reaction.

 

At first I found velour sort of harsh and piercing when I first got he-400, but either it evened out with actual burn-in, brain burn-in, or fixing my O2 amp (making sure the solder points don't make contact with the aluminum box). That's what urged me to try pleather for a while. But returning to velour, they are now silky smooth and more forgiving of bad recordings than pleather if memory serves me right.

 

I'm bad at summarizing sonic qualities as well is the bottom line...

 

This.  My HD650 survived the HE-500 and LCD-2 but I'm thinking about selling them after living with the HE-400 with velours.  Thought I would never say that.  HE-400 is pretty much may perfect headphone with the velours, the only area where the HD650 destroys it is comfort.

post #5315 of 18107

I might agree, HD650 is lighter so in that department in wins.

 

But even when I A/B'ed the two for a couple hours, I felt HiFiMan has less clamp as an eyeglasses person. The HD650 had a kung fu grip on the end of my frames and it was more annoying than listening with HD595's over the years.

 

The main thing that gets me about HiFiMan comfort is the velours arent as soft as HD650's or with as much give, they're stiffer. But that's alright given the sound quality is great. And I love love love that I truly do have two unique signatures (by pad swapping, and soon maybe a third hybrid sort with J$) on one set of cans. The value, oh the value.

 

The more noticeable thing I didnt have a problem with on Senny was the top. On the 400's, I really do feel a slab of metal just lounging on top of my skull. It's not painful or anything, but I notice it more. That's why this leatherette headband I get today should help A LOT.

 

But HD650 is an excellent set of cans, I just got really curious when I started reading up on HE-400.

 

I'd say HD650 has taken throne for far too many years as the undisputed champ, HFM will slowly steal away from Senny's prospective biz, and hopefully allow them to re-evaluate their tight upholding of retail value being advertised (anything below $499 on Amazon has to be "click here to view price.") 

 

And I'm still a Senny fanboy, I love my PX100's.


Edited by earphiler - 1/16/13 at 12:02pm
post #5316 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by earphiler View Post

I might agree, HD650 is lighter so in that department in wins.

 

But even when I A/B'ed the two for a couple hours, I felt HiFiMan has less clamp as an eyeglasses person. The HD650 had a kung fu grip on the end of my frames and it was more annoying than listening with HD595's over the years.

 

The main thing that gets me about HiFiMan comfort is the velours arent as soft as HD650's or with as much give, they're stiffer. But that's alright given the sound quality is great. And I love love love that I truly do have two unique signatures (by pad swapping, and soon maybe a third hybrid sort with J$) on one set of cans. The value, oh the value.

 

The more noticeable thing I didnt have a problem with on Senny was the top. On the 400's, I really do feel a slab of metal just lounging on top of my skull. It's not painful or anything, but I notice it more. That's why this leatherette headband I get today should help A LOT.

 

But HD650 is an excellent set of cans, I just got really curious when I started reading up on HE-400.

The older Hifiman velours are much softer and are halfway between the current velours and pleathers in terms of thickness; the only downside is their mounting mechanism is some really brittle cheap plastic that is permanently attached to the pad, rather than the flexible durable mounting ring that is removable.

 

You can however hack it and glue/tape a set of current mounting rings onto the backs of the old velours, which is what I did, and it turns it into a pretty fantastic pair of pads.

 

Very very transparent, but at the same time it fleshens out the tonality a lot compared to the new velours because it is less thick so your ears are closer to the drivers. The comfort exceeds both the current Hifiman stock pads by far.

 

These are harder to find than even J$ pads though rolleyes.gif Since their manufacturing was discontinued for quite a while now.

post #5317 of 18107

Yeah I heard the clips on those were junk and broke way too easily.

 

Can you post a comparison show new velour vs old velour (showing off the height too)? Curious.

 

The photo a couple of posts ago showing pleather mesh being less transparent physically than the velour mesh is interesting.

 

I wonder if that has a noticeable impact on sound, if you were to compare different mesh on the same material-type pad.


Edited by earphiler - 1/16/13 at 12:06pm
post #5318 of 18107
I found the HE-400's to be very comfortable. I saw a lot of people complaining about them being unconfortable because of the weight and everything, but i had no problem with it at all. The pads are very comfy and the headband fits very well, i feel almost no pressure on my head. Could wear it all day perfectly.
post #5319 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okamoto View Post

I found the HE-400's to be very comfortable. I saw a lot of people complaining about them being unconfortable because of the weight and everything, but i had no problem with it at all. The pads are very comfy and the headband fits very well, i feel almost no pressure on my head. Could wear it all day perfectly.

 

I feel the exact same way. I just got these so the clamp is at it's prime and I have no issue with comfort. I thought the headband was going to be very uncomfortable since it looks like its really skimped on with these headphones however I dont have any issues. I find them extremely comfortable and I even forget they're on my head half the time. 

post #5320 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjames View Post

I must be the only person who is totally content with stock pleathers without removing anything. I definitely will never remove the spacer, as I am more scared of dust than the rest of you, it seems. 


Nope, I'm happy with the pleathers as well.  When I get home from work and want to watch a movie / listen to music I just put the headphones on and relax with big smile on my faceatsmile.gif.

post #5321 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeStudent View Post

 

I feel the exact same way. I just got these so the clamp is at it's prime and I have no issue with comfort. I thought the headband was going to be very uncomfortable since it looks like its really skimped on with these headphones however I dont have any issues. I find them extremely comfortable and I even forget they're on my head half the time. 


Ditto.

post #5322 of 18107

Before I tried He-400, that was one of the main things steering me away.

 

The look of them. They look like a kid's toy with that blue. Except little did I know in a lot of lighting (actually most lighting except flash-blasted photographs and maybe walking around a city haha) they look classy and darker blue.

 

And they look really uncomfortable. Like Grado uncomfortable and as if that Hifiman circular part is gonna stab your temples. But they are not.


Edited by earphiler - 1/16/13 at 12:18pm
post #5323 of 18107

I don't really have a problem with the headband of the HiFiMan series, the only two headbands that have given me a problem was the LCD-2 and the K701, both have bumps.  Compared to the LCD-2 the HE-400 are super comfortable.

 

Just finished comparing Dark Side of the Moon on both HD650 and HE-400.  The biggest thing that sticks out is the pinpoint imaging and instrument separation on the HE-400, absolutely fantastic.  HE-400 w/velours has the largest soundstage I've heard besides the K701.

post #5324 of 18107

So awaiting my Magni + Modi. Maybe it'll help like ... one person ever, but I'll still do comparisons with the Little Dot MKIII and the E17. Also ordered an RCA cable from Blue Jeans Cables. Figured that price range was a good balance between making sure I have something good and grossly overpaying for snake oil.

 

MAY try the velours tonight I'm just awful with my hands and I don't want to take them off and not be able to get them back on.

post #5325 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post

 

 

DO you have a diffrent program you can try? I know i had a lot of problems with WInamp myself.

I use JetAudio (came with the cowon). Not sure if you can get it free thou. Try a few diffrent programs if you can (VLC, windows player, online radio) to figure out if the source "could" be the problem.

Diffrent cans will respond diffrently for calls from the sound card probably. As far as i know, the E11 is a better amp whan the E17, but i cant be 100% positive on this since i dont own the E11.

Do you have any chance to test your HE-400 with that song on a better amp?

Also, what is you onboard sound chip? Is there a chance (rather small but hey!) that your onboard chip handles the Bass on the ortos wrongly ?

I mean, its hard to think that you get this form of distortion and i dont (since i hate any distortion, no matter how small), from the cans themselves.

 

Try put on the pleathers and when you go to tuck in the 4 clippers (the ones that attach the pads to the hp's) only tuck 3 in, leave the last one out so it leaves a little gap/vent preferably at the back of the headphones.. for me this greatly increases the bass extension/presence, while it may reduce tightness a bit

 

so far my e17 + pleathers + bassgap mod (see above) + E17 +8 bass = superb quality bass legends, no doubt it can be EQ'd to basshead standards... although these cans still aren't that forgiving on weak basslines.. so if you want to SUPER bass EQ it to compensate for weak recording bassline, you'll need something more powerful than the e17, something that will provide sufficient headroom.


Edited by Jabse - 1/16/13 at 12:39pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**