- 12,638 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on Yesterday at 4:35 am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 11/26/13 at 4:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 10/29/13 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 12/9/12 at 2:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: Today
Comparing these to my Philips L1 and my Beyer T1 they have a lot more mid-bass through midrange and are slightly tilted toward the high. They sound great but quite a bit different sound signature...
DISCLAIMER This review is based on the demo set at Jaben Singapore, which I have demoed extensively no less than 3 times. Though fit is pretty good, but as perfect fit is not achieved, I shall...
Sound Quality Straight out of the box, it sounded great, pretty much like the original CAL!. I’ve done over 100 hours of burn-in. DAC is FiiO E10. As I mentioned in one of the posts, it reminded...
The smallest, toughest, yet great sounding player you can buy. Though that really depends on your luck, but it can be found for as low as 20 euros on eBay, other classifieds, or your local...
My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > M-Audio Q40. There isn't much I have to add to other...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 346post #5176 of 151121/15/13 at 1:43pmI personally think the Lyr is overkill though.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5177 of 151121/15/13 at 1:45pmpost #5178 of 151121/15/13 at 1:48pmI mean, the HE-400 would gain very little by jumping that high up in power.
That, and paired for my distaste for tube amps... well, I'd buy an Audio-GD SS amp any day of the week over the Lyr.
I was not that impressed by the Lyr when I owned it. I understand that aspect of tube rolling, but I prefer the cleanliness, simplicity, and worry free aspect of SS amps.
I much preferred even my old NFB5 over the Lyr.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/15/13 at 1:51pmpost #5179 of 151121/15/13 at 1:55pmpost #5180 of 151121/15/13 at 2:33pmQuote:
I wish this were the case, many maggies have suffered from delamination; wire seperating from the membrane.Quote:
I made my own. I started with an arc and saw that wasn't optimum. the stand in the attached photo seems to work really well. This doesn't put so much pressure on the pads
there are photos of other types of stands in my profile. The HE-400 would also be a good match for a hanging stand, I'm sure you've seen the type, base arm and arcpost #5181 of 151121/15/13 at 3:38pm
Noticed this just now when I picked up my headphones. Not sure if it's been like this since I bought them last month but I can't seem to get it lie flat. I hadn't taken them off until I took this picture. So I just put the velours on (went on much easier than I was expecting) and I'll worry about this bump later! Velours are comfy. :)post #5182 of 151121/15/13 at 3:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by FuzzyD
Noticed this just now when I picked up my headphones. Not sure if it's been like this since I bought them last month but I can't seem to get it lie flat. I hadn't taken them off until I took this picture. So I just put the velours on (went on much easier than I was expecting) and I'll worry about this bump later! Velours are comfy. :)
Dude take that out; that foam insert is largely the reason why stock pleathers sound like crap, without it the pads are much nicer-sounding.post #5183 of 151121/15/13 at 3:52pm
I already took it out and set it under a coaster to flatten it out. You know I may take back what I said about the velours after just 10 minutes. Getting itchy already. I hate when velours do this. They go on all nice and soft and then 5 minutes later I'm scratching the side of my face and repositioning the cans.
Edited by FuzzyD - 1/15/13 at 3:55pmpost #5184 of 151121/15/13 at 3:54pmQuote:Originally Posted by FuzzyD
I already took it out and set it under a coaster to flatten it out. You know I may take back what I said about the velours after just 10 minutes. Getting itchy already. I hate when velours do this. They go all nice and soft and then 5 minutes later I'm scratching the side of my face.
No i don't mean that you should flatten the foam insert, I mean like throw it away. The pleathers without the foam inserts has a very nice lush engaging sound signature IMO.post #5185 of 151121/15/13 at 3:57pmpost #5186 of 151121/15/13 at 4:04pm
One of my inserts look like that too, I wouldn't worry about it. I just use the velours anyways. I suck up some of the itch I get because I think it sounds better, still waiting on my person pair of J$ pads.post #5187 of 151121/15/13 at 4:06pmQuote:
I do think they can satisfy a basshead, they deliver it very nicely when the music actually has it. It's even listed in the Basshead Club thread. Infected Mushroom + HE-400 = superb bass experience in my opinion.post #5188 of 151121/15/13 at 4:13pmQuote:
They have one of the highest quality impactful bass and are very responsive to EQ, coupled with their sound signature they are indeed one of the ultimate bass cans. Of course they don't need to be labeled that and are competent enough as regular hi-fi headphones too.post #5189 of 151121/15/13 at 4:15pmYeah, the bass is sooooo rewarding. While basshead cans tend to add bass when there is none, the HE-400 treads between neutral and basshead level. Adding bass like out of the E17 +4 on bass) will make them among the best basshead cans I have heard. Only the D7000 wins for me over the HE-400. D7000 has this stellar sub bass rumble I haven't heard from anything else.post #5190 of 151121/15/13 at 4:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Yeah, the bass is sooooo rewarding. While basshead cans tend to add bass when there is none, the HE-400 treads between neutral and basshead level. Adding bass like out of the E17 +4 on bass) will make them among the best basshead cans I have heard. Only the D7000 wins for me over the HE-400. D7000 has this stellar sub bass rumble I haven't heard from anything else.
Maybe the LCD-2 can get the very low end rumble of the D7000's. Afterall, it's always been proclaimed to have bar none the best bass extension out of any headphone period.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Parts/Overclocking) 19 seconds ago
- › RE262 broke, looking to replace with Vsonic GR07 29 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 37 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 50 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Denon AH-D5000 Like new 2 minutes ago
- › EarSonics S-EM6 Six driver universal IEM 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 3 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by kingpage
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by adevriesc
- › Skullcandy INK'D Earbuds (Green) by Bassbanger101
- › Q-Audio French Silk Cable by WNBC
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi