Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 315

post #4711 of 18156

Am moving this weekend ... packed up all of my headphones, but not my HE-400. Told the fiancee' that I'll be holding them in the car myself ... she rolled her eyes.

 

She doesn't understand! 

post #4712 of 18156
Thread Starter 

^^ They never do. Some are more accommodating than others though. biggrin.gif

post #4713 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

If you have the room, you could always try adding a Sennheiser cushion:

 

http://store.sennheiserusa.com/store/sennheis/en_US/buy/productID.248481400/quantity.1

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614718/he-400-vs-hd650-for-rock/30#post_8483313

 

 

P.S. Just got a package in from one Mr. Justin Wilson... biggrin.gif

 

HE-400?

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #4714 of 18156
Thread Starter 

The paint is way too dark for the he400. I'd say he-4 or maybe 5le...

post #4715 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

The paint is way too dark for the he400. I'd say he-4 or maybe 5le...

 

i meant the package.  

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #4716 of 18156
Thread Starter 

lol...sorry. redface.gif

post #4717 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

 

HE-400?


Yup!  I'm still at work and I'm busy this evening, so my first try with them will have to wait until tomorrow morning...the ultimate test of patience!  I'm still waiting for my Magni to arrive and I've got a pair of the j$ pads on the way.

 

The picture is of HE-500 I believe.  The other recommendation I've seen is to use the Beyerdynamic snap-on cushion commonly seen on their DTXXX-Pro models, but I've read they are a tight fit.

post #4718 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post


Yup!  I'm still at work and I'm busy this evening, so my first try with them will have to wait until tomorrow morning...the ultimate test of patience!  I'm still waiting for my Magni to arrive and I've got a pair of the j$ pads on the way.

 

The picture is of HE-500 I believe.  The other recommendation I've seen is to use the Beyerdynamic snap-on cushion commonly seen on their DTXXX-Pro models, but I've read they are a tight fit.

They are only a tight fit IF you try to snap all the buttons. I'd recommend that you don't, and instead just clip the two end ones, like this:

 

 

1000

 

It is actually better IMO because it doesn't bunch the foam in the middle up so much, so the padding ends up being softer.

post #4719 of 18156

This is what it looks like if you want to snap all the button.  Works good enough for me..  I snap all my buttons..

 

 

700

 

700


Edited by preproman - 1/11/13 at 1:04pm
post #4720 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

They are only a tight fit IF you try to snap all the buttons. I'd recommend that you don't, and instead just clip the two end ones, like this:

 

It is actually better IMO because it doesn't bunch the foam in the middle up so much, so the padding ends up being softer.

This is what I thought at first too, but the material is really awesome and it's loosened up a bunch in the middle, while still keeping it tight around the top with all the buttons clipped for me.

post #4721 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjames View Post

This is what I thought at first too, but the material is really awesome and it's loosened up a bunch in the middle, while still keeping it tight around the top with all the buttons clipped for me.

I dunno, it doesn't make sense why you guys do that. The whole point of the additional padding is to increase comfort, and headband padding needs 2 things to have good comfort: sufficient soft padding, and large area of pressure distribution. Clipping up all the buttons not only reduces the softness of the padding foam, but also reduces the area of headband coverage on your head so there is more pressure per square area. Meh.

post #4722 of 18156

You guys and your headbands.  The real discomfort is in the earpads!

post #4723 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

I'm not sure, either.  Intimidation?  Desire of a pure, untouched sound?  If one just stays on the path to try and achieve the perfect sound without any EQ, they will be on a life-long journey.

Exactly my point. The hifiman he-400 is one of those headphones that can achieve great things. A tweak of the EQ to bring out the mids/higher mids and tone down that higher treble somewhat, and ofcourse the velour pads. With these tweaks the he-400 is not far behind the HE-500. But it's definitely much cheaper.

post #4724 of 18156

Have no idea what your talking about.  I don't see it.  All the padding is there, more so if you ask me..  That's why the buttons are thereblink.gif

post #4725 of 18156
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

You guys and your headbands.  The real discomfort is in the earpads!

If you can optimize both, then there is no discomfort other than possibly the weight for some people.

 

Speaking of earpads, I find that the J$ earpads do inherently give more clamp because they are thicker, however the feel is nicer because they have ultrasoft foam and lambskin so it feels like two pillows rather than two rings of hard foam.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**