Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 306

post #4576 of 18082
Thread Starter 

^^ The volume on the pc and player should be maxed. All volume will then be controlled by the amp only. 

 

James, looks we you and I both shop at the big and tall store. biggrin.gif

post #4577 of 18082

I just have my computer and FooBar at 100% and control w/ the Magni's volume knob. At very low volumes, it has some channel imbalance (mine is biased to the right) but it's honestly only at whisper quiet volumes. hasn't been a problem for me at all

post #4578 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^ The volume on the pc and player should be maxed. All volume will then be controlled by the amp only. 

 

James, looks we you and I both shop at the big and tall storebiggrin.gif

Likewise, lol

post #4579 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^ The volume on the pc and player should be maxed. All volume will then be controlled by the amp only. 

 

James, looks we you and I both shop at the big and tall store. biggrin.gif

Unless I missed a joke and you mean this literally, yep! 6'9'', I'm a big boy. I like the HE-400 because of how heavy they are. I also like all of my electronics to have heft to them. Have sold MP3 players and phones for feeling too small or too light!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBunyan View Post

I just have my computer and FooBar at 100% and control w/ the Magni's volume knob. At very low volumes, it has some channel imbalance (mine is biased to the right) but it's honestly only at whisper quiet volumes. hasn't been a problem for me at all

As long as I can get the HE-400 to a good volume without channel imbalance, then I'll be happy. I don't require precision control, but enough to go from "pleasant listening" (don't ever listen to very quiet) to "my ears are bleeding" with a decent amount in between.

post #4580 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjames View Post

 

As long as I can get the HE-400 to a good volume without channel imbalance, then I'll be happy. I don't require precision control, but enough to go from "pleasant listening" (don't ever listen to very quiet) to "my ears are bleeding" with a decent amount in between.

 

I use the Magni with headphones that are even more efficient than the HE-400s, and it's awfully hard to notice any channel imbalance.  I'm not sure if those who reported it were using regular headphones, or just really sensitive IEMs for their listening.

post #4581 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

This outfit on ebay has a buy it now option for the e07k. I tried $80 and immediately got an acceptance notification. Makes me wonder just what they'd take. I've bought from them before. 

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FiiO-E07K-New-E7-Andes-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-DAC-Brand-New-In-Box-/360550039161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f274fe79

 

Good to know.  I tried to offer one of the other sellers (New York) $75.00 and was counter-offered with $86.00.  However, the reason I offered $75.00 was that when you click the "Make Offer" option on Ebay, it informs you that your offer will not include the costs of shipping.  Based on that information, I submitted the bid of $75.00, expecting to have to pay shipping on top of that amount.

post #4582 of 18082

I heartily recommend the J$ beyer pads for HE400, they get the best of both velours (openness, treble clarity) and pleathers (black background, rich lower midrange for vocals, subbass rumble) and adds bonus soundstage/imaging on top of all that. AFAIK there aren't many left until Jeremy shuts down J$ completely, and they are selling for half-price a pop presently. I would get a second pair but thought might as well let you guys know so you could all get it.

 

Seriously, there is no comparison.

 

Oh also the comfort boost lol, makes stock Hifiman earpads look like jokes.

post #4583 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

I heartily recommend the J$ beyer pads for HE400, they get the best of both velours (openness, treble clarity) and pleathers (black background, rich lower midrange for vocals, subbass rumble) and adds bonus soundstage/imaging on top of all that. AFAIK there aren't many left until Jeremy shuts down J$ completely, and they are selling for half-price a pop presently. I would get a second pair but thought might as well let you guys know so you could all get it.

 

Seriously, there is no comparison.

 

Oh also the comfort boost lol, makes stock Hifiman earpads look like jokes.

Where can I get them and do you need to do anything special to get them to fit?

post #4584 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

Where can I get them and do you need to do anything special to get them to fit?

1) Just PM Jeremy (owner of J$) himself, he made a thread some time ago

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/638706/the-end-of-jmoney-audio-and-christmas-giveaway

 

2) Nah it's easy, just transplant the plastic earpad mounting ring over from the stock pads to these and bam you're game.

 

post #4585 of 18082

Cool, hopefully I can still get a pair.

post #4586 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

Cool, hopefully I can still get a pair.

If you can it will probably be one of the last pairs, if not the very last. My guess is the pair I received today was something like the 15th last pair when I ordered them about a week ago.

post #4587 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjames View Post

Unless I missed a joke and you mean this literally, yep! 6'9'', I'm a big boy. I like the HE-400 because of how heavy they are. I also like all of my electronics to have heft to them. Have sold MP3 players and phones for feeling too small or too light!

 

As long as I can get the HE-400 to a good volume without channel imbalance, then I'll be happy. I don't require precision control, but enough to go from "pleasant listening" (don't ever listen to very quiet) to "my ears are bleeding" with a decent amount in between.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

I use the Magni with headphones that are even more efficient than the HE-400s, and it's awfully hard to notice any channel imbalance.  I'm not sure if those who reported it were using regular headphones, or just really sensitive IEMs for their listening.

 

 

NEVER at any listening volumes... All I'm saying is that it is definitely there in the first few mm of the volume knob's travel. with he-400s and D2Ks

post #4588 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

If you can it will probably be one of the last pairs, if not the very last. My guess is the pair I received today was something like the 15th last pair when I ordered them about a week ago.

Definitely hoping I can snag a pair too, how much did you pay for them again?

post #4589 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniping View Post

Definitely hoping I can snag a pair too, how much did you pay for them again?

Like $33 +shipping. More than reasonable price for handmade lambskin earpads I think.

post #4590 of 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Like $33 +shipping. More than reasonable price for handmade lambskin earpads I think.

 

I just had a PM with Mr. J$ a few hours ago.  He indicated he has some left.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**