Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 297

post #4441 of 18332

I guess I am the contrarian here. I just got thru (again) A/Bing both of them for over an hour.

With the velours - for me it adds bass and makes it stronger (but no necessaily cleaner) but takes away from the soundstage and clarity. I think.

 

The pleathers have a bit less bass impact but the overall sound just sounds a bit brighter and with more clarity and sounstage, so again, I tried to like'm with all the endorsements for them, but just like the pleathers better. YMMV.

 

I'm actually waiting on some Denon leather angled pads from Mark Lawton to see what they will do.


Edited by sbtruitt - 1/7/13 at 8:00pm
post #4442 of 18332

All I know is, the pleaters "disappear" on my head more than pleather, and my ears stay cooler.

 

So, audible impact or not, I don't care. It was a comfort choice for me first. I may switch back someday for the hell of it, but I don't expect to hear anything too different.

post #4443 of 18332

Does anyone know the best or cheapest place to buy the velour pads from?
 

Or if anyone doesn't like their velours or has some extras give me a PM


Edited by mac336 - 1/7/13 at 8:46pm
post #4444 of 18332

I'm waiting on some J$ Beyers. These are some of the last ones that are available still so I had to grab em, especially as they are 50% off.

post #4445 of 18332

I've had the HE-400's barely a week and I affirm that they are life changing (or, maybe just simply my first foray into headphones that are worth a damn!) and now I'm curious on the sound of the HE-500's... 

 

My wallet's going to be sorry indeed if i I can't contain myself frown.gif

post #4446 of 18332

stop and get a DAC
 

post #4447 of 18332
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac336 View Post

stop and get a DAC
 

I've got the Schiit Magni + Modi on the way.  Thinking about getting the Aune T1  and experimenting with that tube sound... people say it's good for the price. 

 

Whatever I end up not liking I will try to sell off.

post #4448 of 18332
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeStudent View Post

I just ordered my HE400's and a Schitt M&M stack combo to serve as my desktop setup. I know it my not be much to most of you guys but it's all I can afford and I am STOKED to receive it. Why can't time go faster?!

Hang in there man, I just got mine Today (yesterday at this point) and have been waiting since the 26th. It's a little painful but the wait is worth it. I'm driving mine right out of my Fiio E11 right now and I couldn't be happier, they sound truly incredible. You'll be extremely pleased with the stack and headphone combo. I'm looking to get that stack as well, just have to wait for the paycheck to come in :)

post #4449 of 18332
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtruitt View Post

I guess I am the contrarian here. I just got thru (again) A/Bing both of them for over an hour.

With the velours - for me it adds bass and makes it stronger (but no necessaily cleaner) but takes away from the soundstage and clarity. I think.

 

The pleathers have a bit less bass impact but the overall sound just sounds a bit brighter and with more clarity and sounstage, so again, I tried to like'm with all the endorsements for them, but just like the pleathers better. YMMV.

 

I'm actually waiting on some Denon leather angled pads from Mark Lawton to see what they will do.

 

While your experience might be different, the angle pads don't necessarily improve the HE-400, but detract a bit from the capabilities. The angle pads work well for the Denon headphones.  But, as "preproman" has concluded in another thread, the regular Denon pads, without the additional amount of padding to increase the wedge, can work better on the HIfiMAN HE series of headphones.  Lawton Audio sells "like new" Denon pads for $35.00 a pair, plus shipping.

post #4450 of 18332
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac336 View Post

Does anyone know the best or cheapest place to buy the velour pads from?
 

Or if anyone doesn't like their velours or has some extras give me a PM

Most places that sell velour pads have it for $10, so you'll have to find where you'll get shipping for the cheapest.

post #4451 of 18332
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMac View Post

I've got the Schiit Magni + Modi on the way.  Thinking about getting the Aune T1  and experimenting with that tube sound... people say it's good for the price. 

 

Whatever I end up not liking I will try to sell off.

 

nice.     getting a good dac (bifrost in my case) ended  up giving me the biggest improvement in sound from my old HE500 (coming from the dac of an audio gd nfb 12)

 

upgrading to a tube amp (sciit lyr in my case) ended up giving the slightest change to the sound.  slightly warmer.  but could only hear the difference with numerous A-B comparisons.  so really there was no noticable difference worth shelling out the extra $ for the tube.. just my experience with this specific equipment

post #4452 of 18332

^Some good information mac, I was seriously considering the Lyr down the line after I get my Magni. Might still get it for future headphones though, kind of on the fence. 

post #4453 of 18332

What hp's did you guys have right before HE-400?

post #4454 of 18332

Magnum v4s.

 

After spending about 15 minutes with the HE-400s I had for audition, I realized it was time for the Magnums to go. Not even in the same ballpark.

 

I just purchased a pair of HE-400s a few hours ago, which I will gladly keep this time around. Cannot wait.

 

It'll be interesting to mess around with the velours, although I seem to be in the minority in that I quite liked the pleather. If nothing else, they'll be nice for the northern California summer.

 

Oh, and for the fellow who was wondering if the UHA-6 S MKII would drive the HE-400--I found that my UHA-4 drove them quite well (on low gain, even), so it shouldn't be a problem.


Edited by Mozu - 1/7/13 at 11:41pm
post #4455 of 18332
Quote:
Originally Posted by earphiler View Post

What hp's did you guys have right before HE-400?
I have the Sennheiser HD558s. My 400s blow them away in every conceivable way but I think I'll keep them. I find them pretty nuetral and once and a while I like the graininess if you will of a dynamic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**