Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 273

post #4081 of 17911

Also, I can already hear a difference after only about 15 hours of burn-in. Definitely looking forward to the finished product.

 

Anyone know if I need to burn in the full suggested 150 hours? Or is there a point where it doesn't matter a whole ton...?

post #4082 of 17911
Quote:
Originally Posted by monk3ym4jik View Post

Also, I can already hear a difference after only about 15 hours of burn-in. Definitely looking forward to the finished product.

 

Anyone know if I need to burn in the full suggested 150 hours? Or is there a point where it doesn't matter a whole ton...?

 

 

They're ready to go right now..  Have fun and enjoy the music..

post #4083 of 17911

There is little to no burn in for these in my experience.

 

Have fun ^_^

post #4084 of 17911
Thread Starter 

Not much burn in required. Just switch to the velours and call it done. wink.gif

post #4085 of 17911
And get used to its sound signature.
post #4086 of 17911

About the flac sharing thing, I was somewhat on the fence about it but yeah if it's illegal best to put the idea to rest.

post #4087 of 17911

Damn, finally decided to go with he400, the newest revision (transparent magnet's supporter - rev 4), I guess I can drive them easily with any decent source and normal amplifier for now

 

I have an occassion to get ef5 pretty cheap too so maybe later I will try this combination

 

I can send it back if I dont like it so there is no risk (and then I will buy he4 +lyr or ef5), some of you guys said they do piano amazing, especially impact and reverbation so it might be really what I am looking for (a bit more bass might be helpful here when hitting lower octaves) and sound great with ortho signature from anything even portable devices

 

I was even thinking about getting back to my previous, pretty nice icon hdp as a combo for them but I have no idea about the synergy

 

Maybe I will order velour pads to have some alternative in case there is too much bass or too recessed mids (for piano)


Edited by magicman - 1/3/13 at 7:17am
post #4088 of 17911

Yea I got velour pads for these things. Loving them too. It'd be even better if they didn't pick up so much random dust... >.> lol

post #4089 of 17911

I got used to it using hd600 for many years ... :)

post #4090 of 17911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

I will receive a NFB-27 and try the 4s with it but I anticipate these will be too bright. We'll see!

 

Clemmaster, I'm interested in your feedback on the NFB-27. Would like to know if you're planning to use the headphone out in balanced mode?

 

I'm looking hard at the Compass 2 as an up-grade to the entry level DAC that I'm using to drive the HE-400. There's about USD$1,000 difference between the NFB-27 and Compass 2 using the same ES9018 DAC. Would like to know what the extra costs are going into apart from a balanced design and higher power output.

 

Steve

post #4091 of 17911
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

 

Clemmaster, I'm interested in your feedback on the NFB-27. Would like to know if you're planning to use the headphone out in balanced mode?

 

I'm looking hard at the Compass 2 as an up-grade to the entry level DAC that I'm using to drive the HE-400. There's about USD$1,000 difference between the NFB-27 and Compass 2 using the same ES9018 DAC. Would like to know what the extra costs are going into apart from a balanced design and higher power output.

 

Steve

 

Bigger sound, blacker background, lower noise floor, more tonal density/body... Is the USD$1,000 worth the difference? In term of QPR, certainly not. It all depends on how far you wish to go, technically. If you mainly use headphone in front of your computer with your eyes open, you might not notice any difference.

 

If, like me, you're using headphones while lying in bed with lights off and eyes closed, then you might notice it and it might become more important than you would have thought in the past.

 

Edit: yes I'm planning to use the blanced mode but all the headphone will share the same balanced cable (HE-500s cable I think)


Edited by Clemmaster - 1/3/13 at 5:16am
post #4092 of 17911
So I have read the whole thread, including the other thread on the HE400s and I'm still torn about what amp to get. I'm leaning towards the Asgard or lyr because I like the looks and from what I've read they are good choices for the money. I'm hesitant about the lyr because of getting tubes (a hobby in itself). Can somebuddy let me know how the Asgard and lyr running stock GE tubes compare with the 400s?

Much appreciated.
post #4093 of 17911
Thread Starter 

For what it's worth the lyr is my end game amp. I had the Asgard, but I found it only decent and it ran very toasty. For orthos and hard to drive hp's the lyr is hard to beat.

post #4094 of 17911
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

For what it's worth the lyr is my end game amp. I had the Asgard, but I found it only decent and it ran very toasty. For orthos and hard to drive hp's the lyr is hard to beat.


Thanks for the reply. Do you think you could put a number on how much better the lyr is over the Asgard? I'm also trying to compare the lyr with stock GE tubes only because I don't want to get into buying tubes lol. So would you say, with stock GE tubes the lyr is 50(?) times better than the Asgard?
post #4095 of 17911
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkil View Post


Thanks for the reply. Do you think you could put a number on how much better the lyr is over the Asgard? I'm also trying to compare the lyr with stock GE tubes only because I don't want to get into buying tubes lol. So would you say, with stock GE tubes the lyr is 50(?) times better than the Asgard?

Will the Lyr sound 50 times better with HE-400s than the Asgard? No.

 

Maybe consider Magni and Modi and if you aren't satisfied then move up from there.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**