Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 264

post #3946 of 18107

So the HE-400 have the proper cord to plug into the Magni out of the box, yes?

post #3947 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Well if used HE400s are consistently being sold at $370-$380 then there is no reason for anyone selling HE400s to set the prices lower. It's all about supply and demand.

i agree

 

but i still think its overpriced for a used he400 with no warranty

post #3948 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrulyYeti View Post

My pair of HE-400's came in yesterday!  Listened to them all night, and a lot more today.

 

Very, very impressed.  And I haven't had a chance to burn them in yet.  I'm extremely happy with my decision to purchase them.

 

Build: 8 / 10

 

Comfort: 7 / 10

 

Sound: 9.4 / 10

 

Value: 9.8 / 10

 

I think I'm going to give them a listen right now...


congrats.  what amp/dac are you using with them?

post #3949 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjames View Post

So the HE-400 have the proper cord to plug into the Magni out of the box, yes?

 

Yes it does, 1/4" jack.

post #3950 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

Yes it does, 1/4" jack.

Gracias!

post #3951 of 18107
Thread Starter 

wje/Jerg..

 

Regarding the used sale prices for the he400, I've seen them a bit high IMO. Now, this hp is a great performer and priced below it's performance already. I was able to pick up a used pair, mint, for $300/local pickup. That's the best deal that I've seen for used. Given that moon audio sometimes puts these on sale for $360, there is no way I pay that or even more for used ones. 

post #3952 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjames View Post

That's kind of a weird question on Head-Fi, isn't it? :] 99% of us here want things we don't need.

 

That being said, I'm likely to sell whichever I don't like. E17 for portable use, and then either the MKIII or the M&M for home use. Not many people replied to me on here about how it performs with the MKIII so I'm not sure if that's a "nice set-up" or not!

It was a silly question indeed.

 

But I think the HE-400 will sound pretty good with a tube amp. It might help with the peaky highs. 

However the He-400 sounds plenty warm to me on a solid state, so it might lose clarity on the mkIII.

post #3953 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrulyYeti View Post

My pair of HE-400's came in yesterday!  Listened to them all night, and a lot more today.

 

Very, very impressed.  And I haven't had a chance to burn them in yet.  I'm extremely happy with my decision to purchase them.

 

Build: 8 / 10

 

Comfort: 7 / 10

 

Sound: 9.4 / 10

 

Value: 9.8 / 10

 

I think I'm going to give them a listen right now...

So a 9.4 on sound. How exactly did you get such an interesting number?

post #3954 of 18107

1000

 

My babies sleeping... (400s, 500s, 4s)

 

Had a 3 hours session with the new HE-4 (on the right) on Friday night + a short shoot-out between the 3 during the weekend.

 

So far, with the Metrum Quad and the SA-31, my favourite is... the HE-4! Who would have expected that? Not me!

 

In a technical standpoint, they clearly fall short to the other 2.

- The instrument separation is inferior (they all have the new velours).

- Detail retrieval is hard to tell since the 4s have a treble emphasis (more so than the 400s on this setup) and a much more airy presentation that is hard to compare.

On complex passages, the 4s cannot compete with the 400s and 500s. Yet, they're still very good and much better than any dynamic headphones I owned/heard (which includes the K-701).

 

What I really (I mean REALLY) like about the 4s is their clean presentation and their V-shaped signature (probably more U-shaped) which makes them extremely fun to listen with fast paced music (e.g. Hard rock and Metal).

The bass emphasis starts below 50hz and stops quickly, hence the "U-shaped" response. By comparison, the 400s have a V-shaped response that emphasis the upper bass / lower mids region too.

As a result, the 4s have tighter bass when compared to the 400s, yet not as prominent (which has a good effect on overall clarity). This plus the treble emphasis make them extremely well suited for drums.

 

I never enjoyed AC/DC that much with the HE-500 because the mid emphasis is not suited to this particular music (it exhibits all the recording flaws). The 4s on the other hand, are simply excellent. The 400s are definitely closer to the 500s, being fuller sounding than the 4s.

 

I never expected I would like them more than my favourite of all time (the 500s) but I noticed some strange things that might be a result of my mood of the day or simply my ears not fully opened (I have a cold): the 500s sounded muffled. I always found the treble quantity more than adequate (rather would I say: ideal), on my setup. I don't know if listening to the 4s before the 500s biased my preferences but they clearly lacked treble.

 

I remember when I last tried my old 4s on the very same setup (difference RCA cables but I'm no cable believer...) I didn't quite like their treble quantity anymore... It seems like my ear changed in the meantime (overnight). 

 

Anyway, I'm happy with the 4s and if my cold is responsible for that change in treble perception, then I'm glad I have 2 pairs for the next time I have a cold :p

 

I forgot the bottom line: mix the 4s sound signature with the 400s technicalities and you get the best headphones for Metal / Hard-rock :p (No, I never heard grados, but they never heard orthos, so... :p) 


Edited by Clemmaster - 12/31/12 at 6:33am
post #3955 of 18107

Can someone recommend me a good set-up for my HE-400?  My budget is $800 for amp and dac.  Doesn't have to be tubes, but something that really works well with the HE-400s.  I would go on reading through the thread, but jesus it's 264 pages long.  Can anyone please help me out ;)  I'd really appreciate it.

post #3956 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

1000


My babies sleeping... (400s, 500s, 4s)

Had a 3 hours session with the new HE-4 (on the right) on Friday night + a short shoot-out between the 3 during the weekend.

So far, with the Metrum Quad and the SA-31, my favourite is... the HE-4! Who would have expected that? Not me!

In a technical standpoint, they clearly fall short to the other 2.
- The instrument separation is inferior (they all have the new velours).
- Detail retrieval is hard to tell since the 4s have a treble emphasis (more so than the 400s on this setup) and a much more airy presentation that is hard to compare.
On complex passages, the 4s cannot compete with the 400s and 500s. Yet, they're still very good and much better than any dynamic headphones I owned/heard (which includes the K-701).

What I really (I mean REALLY) like about the 4s is their clean presentation and their V-shaped signature (probably more U-shaped) which makes them extremely fun to listen with fast paced music (e.g. Hard rock and Metal).
The bass emphasis starts below 50hz and stops quickly, hence the "U-shaped" response. By comparison, the 400s have a V-shaped response that emphasis the upper bass / lower mids region too.
As a result, the 4s have tighter bass when compared to the 400s, yet not as prominent (which has a good effect on overall clarity). This plus the treble emphasis make them extremely well suited for drums.

I never enjoyed AC/DC that much with the HE-500 because the mid emphasis is not suited to this particular music (it exhibits all the recording flaws). The 4s on the other hand, are simply excellent. The 400s are definitely closer to the 500s, being fuller sounding than the 4s.

I never expected I would like them more than my favourite of all time (the 500s) but I noticed some strange things that might be a result of my mood of the day or simply my ears not fully opened (I have a cold): the 500s sounded muffled. I always found the treble quantity more than adequate (rather would I say: ideal), on my setup. I don't know if listening to the 4s before the 500s biased my preferences but they clearly lacked treble.

I remember when I last tried my old 4s on the very same setup (difference RCA cables but I'm no cable believer...) I didn't quite like their treble quantity anymore... It seems like my ear changed in the meantime (overnight). 

Anyway, I'm happy with the 4s and if my cold is responsible for that change in treble perception, then I'm glad I have 2 pairs for the next time I have a cold tongue.gif

I forgot the bottom line: mix the 4s sound signature with the 400s technicalities and you get the best headphones for Metal / Hard-rock tongue.gif (No, I never heard grados, but they never heard orthos, so... tongue.gif

Nice. Also, people need to realize that even though the treble is more prominent in the mix compared to the HE-400, it is LESS harsh/jarring due to the overall brighter sound, and airier presentation. The HE-400's darkness makes the treble more 'unbearable' in direct comparison, since it's bright treble more out of place than on the brighter HE-4. Your ears are adjusted to the brighter presentatioon on the HE-4, so the treble doesn't shock your ears.

Very surprising outcome.

You might be a candidate for the HE5-LE, since I hear the HE-4 is modeled after that one's sound signature.
post #3957 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

1000

 

 

Why don't people bother removing those sticky labels from the headband?

post #3958 of 18107
Lol, I still have mine...

One of them clearly shows that it shouldn't be thrown in the garbage!
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/31/12 at 7:03am
post #3959 of 18107

I have a big hifiman delivery today...and it happens to include a couple HE-4s i ordered on the chance these will be making a comeback blink.gif

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #3960 of 18107
Thread Starter 

Anyone know the curb weight on the he4?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**