- 63 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
I’d like to thank John Seaber and the folks at JDS Labs for the C5D loaner unit. Accessories The C5D ships with a 1.5 foot USB mini-B cable, a set of four rubber stick-on feet and an...
This is a review of the upcoming FiiO X1 digital audio player (DAP). Until my first experience with X5, a little over half a year ago, I used to refer to all dedicated audio players as "mp3"...
It's annoying because I didn't read the manual so I naturally fitted the SE215's wrong, and then looked at videos and found the right fit. The SE215 lack bass with the foam tips, so I put on the...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 202
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Sweet baby Jesus. That and the Modi. I want them. NOW.
These devices cant be ignored. Looks like Schiit heard all that smack talk by the O2 crowd, and made this specifically to combat it.
Not sure on the Modi, but I may just end up with both... but Magni comes first. Time to put my E17 up for sale...again. If I ever need the portability, I may end up buying it for the 3rd time. Itd be nice to keep the Magni next to my gaming setup to help power my Mixamp. The SA-31 is too big, and too stationary for that.
I thought I was the only moron to sell the e17 three times. That thing has been like a boomerang for me!!
Fortunately, I just sold it again last week so now I can buy the new little schitt stack. Perfect bedroom setup. Guess I'd need my laptop as though.
I may end up selling the ODAC very soon too, depending on how well the Modi stacks up. I frankly don't hear almost anything worth noting between the ODAC, NFB5, and E17, as well as the very lowly Fiio D3 (other than the D3 crapping out on me soon after comparing). So as long as a DAC isn't pure crap, they all sound so very much the same to me. I don't even need the Modi, but the Magni looks sad alone without it's sibling. If it's even within a hair close to the ODAC, the ODAC is gone. Don't need two USB DACs, and the ODAC doesn't exactly fit with my setup. I mean, it's well hidden...
In any case, the Modi/Magni are mine. The SA-31 is gonna be a little harder to give up, but I just might. That X1 or K702 65th are just screaming at me.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/13/12 at 5:02am
The new K702 65th Anniversary seems to be getting glowing reviews and praise over the older AKGs, so I really wanna try them.
Then there's the Philips Fidelio X1, which is considered to be like a mix between the HD650 and something more lively, which sounds like something I really wanna try. A bassy, open headphone is rare 'round these parts, and I can only buy the DT990 SO many times (I've owned... 6 or was it 7?)
I'm leaning on the X1, but Philips is being real shady to America right now. Only one place has them in stock, and it's a bit too expensive ($420), when the UK has been getting them for the equivalent of $300-350.
The HD650 is a perfect alternative to the HE400, but I REALLY wanna try something new. If all else fails, I will be getting the HD650 again and calling it a day. That is, unless someone magically makes a D7000 equivalent with velours.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/13/12 at 5:33am
My main problem with other amps i saw around is the fact they are not really portable (meaning need a socket wall). Ireally want to "be able" to run my HE-400 on a car or on a beach if i choose to.
In a way, i should be able to carry my laptop headset and a "kinda" portable amp with me, but you cant do that sometimes.
Any portable amps that are better than Fiio E17 and are not a 3 times the price of the E17? I ask cus i wanted to pair the E9 with the E17 later on, but i heard on a review that the E17 looses qualit y if paired with a E9...
No reason why you shouldn't look into the E17 if you need portability. If I had a laptop, I'd keep the E17, no question.
I still use my Q701's from time to time even after hearing the HE-400. It's mid/treble isn't enough, so the 701 has to sub in sometimes. However the AKG's are fatiguing at loud volumes and distances vocals more than they should.
It most likely will be replaced with the HE-500 coming in. the HD-650 is scared schiit-less right now.
I agree with Mad Lust, I recommend the E17 if you have a Laptop. However, i only recommend pairing it with the E9 if you have a desktop.
If desktop becomes the case, i'd pick the Schiit stack over the Fiio combo.
Edited by cssarrow - 12/13/12 at 9:41am
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/13/12 at 10:01am
I doubt many of the HE400 owners have heard the relatively new and prohibitively expensive K702/65 (compared to the Q701 and older K702s), but if the new K702/65 is remotely similar to the old ones, I'd go for the HE400s everytime. They are just more musical, warm, and engaging to me. The bass is fantastic, which was always something I missed on the old K701 and Q701 I owned. However, I'm looking into the K702/65 as a compliment to the HE400, as I know it's better for gaming, which is a major importance to me (obviously), and should have better mids than the HE400. So basically a balanced headphone to compliment the more fun signature of the HE400.
I've not heard of the new one yet, but just like you, i would also pick the HE-400 over the AKG's.
Didn't really miss the bass though, the Ultrasone HFI-2400 had better bass > AKG., HE-400 had more punchy extended bass (not better for some people)
The AKG Q701 does good for gaming though, but sometimes distances the mids a little so it's hard to find enemy placement. Perhaps better with surround sound software would help.
Q701 without a doubt has better mids than the HE-400, however the HE-400 is more engaging and full. With it's fast pace planars it kills most dynamics that i have heard.
Can't wait for the smooth mid HE-500 to come in and kill the Q701's.
Edited by cssarrow - 12/13/12 at 10:38am
Schiit's async implementation on the Gungnir is really good. Many say they can't hear the difference between USB and optical. I'm sure they were also trying to keep costs down.
If they can't hear a difference between Asynchronous USB and Optical, then the Asynchronous USB implementation is really bad. More likely they don't know what to listen for.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Nickerfied Fostex T50RP...................... Impressions/... 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › I will be getting DT 990 pro, now I need is microphone... 5 minutes ago
- › New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 &... 9 minutes ago
- › Help needed purchasing a high end surround sound audio system 10 minutes ago
- › [NEW] FiiO E11K Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early... 11 minutes ago
- › IC/WTT: AUDEZE LCD 2! 16 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)