- 63 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on Today at 4:35 am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 11/26/13 at 4:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 10/29/13 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 12/9/12 at 2:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/28/12
My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > M-Audio Q40. There isn't much I have to add to other...
My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > SR950. The SR950s are fairly detailed headphones possessing a...
My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > HPH-200. If you are looking for a ~$100 on ear open can that...
First of all, I gave these a 3 star mostly for their price. At about 9 bucks they are about the cheapest headphones around. I mean, who is going to pass up a deal like that. They are dirt cheap and...
Q-audio French Silk Aftermarket Cable for MrSpeakers Alpha Dog INTRODUCTION I have spent a little over two months with the Alpha Dogs and its stock cable. About one month into the journey...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 202post #3016 of 1509312/13/12 at 2:53amAnd it looks like I get to sell the E17 and get something a little nicer sooner than I thought. I don't think I'm going to be able to resist buying a Magni/Modi stack.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3017 of 1509312/13/12 at 2:58amMy thoughts exactly. I'm kind of over amp and dacs (so samey to me), and would probably be happy downgrading to just the Modi/Magni, and recuperate some cash by selling the SA-31 and ODAC. Then I can focus on what really brings changes, the headphones.post #3018 of 1509312/13/12 at 4:27amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
Sweet baby Jesus. That and the Modi. I want them. NOW.
These devices cant be ignored. Looks like Schiit heard all that smack talk by the O2 crowd, and made this specifically to combat it.
Not sure on the Modi, but I may just end up with both... but Magni comes first. Time to put my E17 up for sale...again. If I ever need the portability, I may end up buying it for the 3rd time. Itd be nice to keep the Magni next to my gaming setup to help power my Mixamp. The SA-31 is too big, and too stationary for that.Quote:
I thought I was the only moron to sell the e17 three times. That thing has been like a boomerang for me!!
Fortunately, I just sold it again last week so now I can buy the new little schitt stack. Perfect bedroom setup. Guess I'd need my laptop as though.post #3019 of 1509312/13/12 at 4:45amChange your sig, dangit!
I may end up selling the ODAC very soon too, depending on how well the Modi stacks up. I frankly don't hear almost anything worth noting between the ODAC, NFB5, and E17, as well as the very lowly Fiio D3 (other than the D3 crapping out on me soon after comparing). So as long as a DAC isn't pure crap, they all sound so very much the same to me. I don't even need the Modi, but the Magni looks sad alone without it's sibling. If it's even within a hair close to the ODAC, the ODAC is gone. Don't need two USB DACs, and the ODAC doesn't exactly fit with my setup. I mean, it's well hidden...
In any case, the Modi/Magni are mine. The SA-31 is gonna be a little harder to give up, but I just might. That X1 or K702 65th are just screaming at me.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/13/12 at 5:02ampost #3020 of 1509312/13/12 at 5:25ampost #3021 of 1509312/13/12 at 5:31amIt's more as an alternate use. The HE400 isn't the best for gaming, and they're finicky when using them while laying down. Just a little bit of my pillow covering them really affects SQ. I play a lot while laying down, which is a double hit against the HE400.
The new K702 65th Anniversary seems to be getting glowing reviews and praise over the older AKGs, so I really wanna try them.
Then there's the Philips Fidelio X1, which is considered to be like a mix between the HD650 and something more lively, which sounds like something I really wanna try. A bassy, open headphone is rare 'round these parts, and I can only buy the DT990 SO many times (I've owned... 6 or was it 7?)
I'm leaning on the X1, but Philips is being real shady to America right now. Only one place has them in stock, and it's a bit too expensive ($420), when the UK has been getting them for the equivalent of $300-350.
The HD650 is a perfect alternative to the HE400, but I REALLY wanna try something new. If all else fails, I will be getting the HD650 again and calling it a day. That is, unless someone magically makes a D7000 equivalent with velours.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/13/12 at 5:33ampost #3022 of 1509312/13/12 at 5:37ampost #3023 of 1509312/13/12 at 5:41ampost #3024 of 1509312/13/12 at 5:43am
My main problem with other amps i saw around is the fact they are not really portable (meaning need a socket wall). Ireally want to "be able" to run my HE-400 on a car or on a beach if i choose to.
In a way, i should be able to carry my laptop headset and a "kinda" portable amp with me, but you cant do that sometimes.
Any portable amps that are better than Fiio E17 and are not a 3 times the price of the E17? I ask cus i wanted to pair the E9 with the E17 later on, but i heard on a review that the E17 looses qualit y if paired with a E9...post #3025 of 1509312/13/12 at 5:46amThat was one guy. I definitely do not agree with him. I felt the E17 and E9K was a stellar combo for the price.
No reason why you shouldn't look into the E17 if you need portability. If I had a laptop, I'd keep the E17, no question.post #3026 of 1509312/13/12 at 9:34amQuote:
I still use my Q701's from time to time even after hearing the HE-400. It's mid/treble isn't enough, so the 701 has to sub in sometimes. However the AKG's are fatiguing at loud volumes and distances vocals more than they should.
It most likely will be replaced with the HE-500 coming in. the HD-650 is scared schiit-less right now.Quote:
I agree with Mad Lust, I recommend the E17 if you have a Laptop. However, i only recommend pairing it with the E9 if you have a desktop.
If desktop becomes the case, i'd pick the Schiit stack over the Fiio combo.
Edited by cssarrow - 12/13/12 at 9:41ampost #3027 of 1509312/13/12 at 9:53ampost #3028 of 1509312/13/12 at 9:58amI doubt many of the HE400 owners have heard the relatively new and prohibitively expensive K702/65 (compared to the Q701 and older K702s), but if the new K702/65 is remotely similar to the old ones, I'd go for the HE400s everytime. They are just more musical, warm, and engaging to me. The bass is fantastic, which was always something I missed on the old K701 and Q701 I owned. However, I'm looking into the K702/65 as a compliment to the HE400, as I know it's better for gaming, which is a major importance to me (obviously), and should have better mids than the HE400. So basically a balanced headphone to compliment the more fun signature of the HE400.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/13/12 at 10:01ampost #3029 of 1509312/13/12 at 10:36amQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
I doubt many of the HE400 owners have heard the relatively new and prohibitively expensive K702/65 (compared to the Q701 and older K702s), but if the new K702/65 is remotely similar to the old ones, I'd go for the HE400s everytime. They are just more musical, warm, and engaging to me. The bass is fantastic, which was always something I missed on the old K701 and Q701 I owned. However, I'm looking into the K702/65 as a compliment to the HE400, as I know it's better for gaming, which is a major importance to me (obviously), and should have better mids than the HE400. So basically a balanced headphone to compliment the more fun signature of the HE400.
I've not heard of the new one yet, but just like you, i would also pick the HE-400 over the AKG's.
Didn't really miss the bass though, the Ultrasone HFI-2400 had better bass > AKG., HE-400 had more punchy extended bass (not better for some people)
The AKG Q701 does good for gaming though, but sometimes distances the mids a little so it's hard to find enemy placement. Perhaps better with surround sound software would help.
Q701 without a doubt has better mids than the HE-400, however the HE-400 is more engaging and full. With it's fast pace planars it kills most dynamics that i have heard.
Can't wait for the smooth mid HE-500 to come in and kill the Q701's.
Edited by cssarrow - 12/13/12 at 10:38ampost #3030 of 1509312/13/12 at 11:39amQuote:Originally Posted by beaver316Quote:
Schiit's async implementation on the Gungnir is really good. Many say they can't hear the difference between USB and optical. I'm sure they were also trying to keep costs down.
If they can't hear a difference between Asynchronous USB and Optical, then the Asynchronous USB implementation is really bad. More likely they don't know what to listen for.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Philips Fidelio L2 21 seconds ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 29 seconds ago
- › Astell and Kern AK100 player. 46 seconds ago
- › TDK IE800 Dual High-Performance Dynamic Micro-Drivers IEM 46 seconds ago
- › With headphones can two supersonic tones (say 30k and 33K) at high... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › WTT: My Fiio X3 for your Headphone/IEM (Open to read my Wish List) 3 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) 5 minutes ago
- › The NEW ATH-ES700.. 6 minutes ago
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by adevriesc
- › Skullcandy INK'D Earbuds (Green) by Bassbanger101
- › Q-Audio French Silk Cable by WNBC
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by boombox589
- › Audio-gd Master 9 Preamp & Headphone amp by staalf
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi