Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 187

post #2791 of 17945
Thread Starter 

Maybe but maryleybob does not say that. He says that he always puts his hands over the cups. Don't get that. 

post #2792 of 17945
Hence the confusion. This cuppy resonance is only an issue if you block the grills with anything. I can't even lay down with the HE400 without the pillow or blanket covering a little of the grills, and adding resonance. So the HE-400 is a sit up and listen kind of headphone. Keep the grills free of ANYTHING, especially hands.
post #2793 of 17945

I think you guys are confusing things.... i think he means that when NO headphones are involved, if you cover your ears with your hands, you hear a sound (that is what he calls ressonace) and its basicly your ear hearing its own vibration.

 

Now, on the other hand, when he puts the headphones on without playing anything, he hears a similar sound.

 

This would be normal due to the fact that regular dynamic headphones partially block this vibration with their construction.

I suggest trying velour pads instead of leather (leather blocks those vibrations less).

post #2794 of 17945

I think you'd hear at least some of that resonance with basically EVERY headphone in the world, except maybe the K1000.

post #2795 of 17945
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post

I think you guys are confusing things.... i think he means that when NO headphones are involved, if you cover your ears with your hands, you hear a sound (that is what he calls ressonace) and its basicly your ear hearing its own vibration.

 

Now, on the other hand, when he puts the headphones on without playing anything, he hears a similar sound.

 

This would be normal due to the fact that regular dynamic headphones partially block this vibration with their construction.

I suggest trying velour pads instead of leather (leather blocks those vibrations less).


Thank you, that is exactly what I meant (a bit like the seashell to the ear effect, although the effect is several orders of magnitude less).  I might just try the velour pads, but I suspect I may have to get used to the "none damped" effect of something covering my ears.

 

Thanks for all the input though.


Edited by griff2 - 12/6/12 at 9:42am
post #2796 of 17945

The HE-400 frame does amplify 1khz area by a couple db.  There shouldn't be anything drastic though.

post #2797 of 17945

Hello all,

 

Just recently purchased a pair of HE-400 from a fellow headfier. I'm really enjoying them especially the low end. My only grip is I find that the treble is a bit too harsh. I'm unsure if this has to do with the source I'm using or if it has to do with the headphones sound signature. I thought I had gotten used to bright treble with the DT 990, but after listening to this headphone for about 3-4 hours straight, I'm still finding the treble a bit sibilant (I'm currently EQ the high end just too be able to enjoy my music). 

 

Currently running it straight from my Macbook Pro. Any thoughts, advice, personal experience would be much appreciated.

post #2798 of 17945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yekrut View Post

Hello all,

 

Just recently purchased a pair of HE-400 from a fellow headfier. I'm really enjoying them especially the low end. My only grip is I find that the treble is a bit too harsh. I'm unsure if this has to do with the source I'm using or if it has to do with the headphones sound signature. I thought I had gotten used to bright treble with the DT 990, but after listening to this headphone for about 3-4 hours straight, I'm still finding the treble a bit sibilant (I'm currently EQ the high end just too be able to enjoy my music). 

 

Currently running it straight from my Macbook Pro. Any thoughts, advice, personal experience would be much appreciated.

It does have a spike at 9kHz, but at that frequency it's mostly harmonics of cymbals and such. The spike doesn't really go up that far, but the fact that there us a large dip right before it makes it more noticable.

 

I'd imagine due to lack of power you don't have a whole lot of breating room to really do any EQ other than additive(which you should never do). So getting an amp might be a good idea.

post #2799 of 17945

Thank you for your response. It does make quite a bit of sense, and I do find it quite noticeable (especially with cymbals and such!). As for the EQ not having much breathing room, you're on point once again. Not only is my EQ not accurate enough in the frequencies I can modulate, it doesn't seem to do too much either. 

 

I do plan on getting an amp in the future (although my audio budget is currently spent). I was thinking of getting to ODAC and then a "warmer" amp. I haven't read up on the O2 amp enough to know if it would fit what I'm looking for and would love to hear other users input on what amp they use and how it affects the high end of the HE-400. When I had my DT990s I paired it with a LD MKIII amp and it really worked wonders in tightening the bass and smoothing out the top end. I think I'd be looking for something similar here.

post #2800 of 17945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yekrut View Post

Hello all,

 

Just recently purchased a pair of HE-400 from a fellow headfier. I'm really enjoying them especially the low end. My only grip is I find that the treble is a bit too harsh. I'm unsure if this has to do with the source I'm using or if it has to do with the headphones sound signature. I thought I had gotten used to bright treble with the DT 990, but after listening to this headphone for about 3-4 hours straight, I'm still finding the treble a bit sibilant (I'm currently EQ the high end just too be able to enjoy my music). 

 

Currently running it straight from my Macbook Pro. Any thoughts, advice, personal experience would be much appreciated.

 

Head to a craft store and purchase a $.99 cent piece of 8.5" x 11" craft felt.  Cut some circles to put inside of the ear pads.  Just set them in place, no need to initially adhere them with any adhesive, etc.  Then, try another listening session.  The sound should not be muffled in any way, and you'll probably notice that the "spikey" upper frequencies that were bothering  you will be tamed, a bit.

post #2801 of 17945
Thread Starter 

^^ Good advice here and not too expensive either. wink.gif

post #2802 of 17945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yekrut View Post

Thank you for your response. It does make quite a bit of sense, and I do find it quite noticeable (especially with cymbals and such!). As for the EQ not having much breathing room, you're on point once again. Not only is my EQ not accurate enough in the frequencies I can modulate, it doesn't seem to do too much either. 

 

I do plan on getting an amp in the future (although my audio budget is currently spent). I was thinking of getting to ODAC and then a "warmer" amp. I haven't read up on the O2 amp enough to know if it would fit what I'm looking for and would love to hear other users input on what amp they use and how it affects the high end of the HE-400. When I had my DT990s I paired it with a LD MKIII amp and it really worked wonders in tightening the bass and smoothing out the top end. I think I'd be looking for something similar here.

I was going to get the HE-400 but I experienced that spike being too irritating in some type of music so I decided to splurge and get the HE-500 that does not have the problem.

 

Also I just purchased the amp Project Sunrise 2 and ODAC for the HE-500.

post #2803 of 17945
Quote:
Originally Posted by misc100 View Post

I was going to get the HE-400 but I experienced that spike being too irritating in some type of music so I decided to splurge and get the HE-500 that does not have the problem.

 

Also I just purchased the amp Project Sunrise 2 and ODAC for the HE-500.

I wouldn't really consider it a problem, there's a good chance they put it there on purpose. It makes the sound appear more airy and detailed in a lot of songs.

 

One con of it though is that it makes noise floors easier to pick up. It's not a crowded at all frequency in music, but it'll always be in noise floors. 

post #2804 of 17945
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^ Good advice here and not too expensive either. wink.gif

 

Yup.  That's the way we roll.  Once we have the investment in the gear, the rest of the cash goes for music and other fun stuff.

post #2805 of 17945
Thread Starter 

Like Another Country: Casandra Wilson. biggrin.gif  Got it yet?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**