Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 170

post #2536 of 19792

Forgot to mention the headband. Again is a non-issue for me. I have bushy hair so that's enough padding for me :D 


Edited by beaver316 - 11/20/12 at 5:49am
post #2537 of 19792

Ok it's certainly opening up now biggrin.gif Sounding much better than it was 10 minutes ago!

post #2538 of 19792

I've been reading these threads for quite a few months now and am getting ready to take the plunge into a pair of these wonderful headphones. I just have a few more things to sell then I will be pulling the trigger. I can't wait to have a pair of these open beasts to compliment my Fostexes!

post #2539 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

One thing i should mention, i haven't yet detected any spikes in the treble. It all feels smooth, but then again i've only played a couple of songs. I have the rev2/3.5 as well, transparent/white housing inside.

 

More to come :)

 

The M-stage is a warm amp, it always reminds me of Mullard tubes.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

Right now i have them plugged into my M-Stage. Gain at +10, volume meter at about 1'o clock, it's certainly plenty loud. I feel they may need some burn in. So far they haven't floored me like i expected, but then again i had my expectations really really high. I think i will grow to appreciate the sound with more head time, but for now they sound pretty good. I will certainly add to this with more listening.

 

.

 

 

Everyone seems to say something like that then they adjust to the sound.

post #2540 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1 View Post

 

The M-stage is a warm amp, it always reminds me of Mullard tubes.

 

 

Everyone seems to say something like that then they adjust to the sound.

 

It really is amazing how we adjust to the sound. Im not sure if it's my ears, or the drivers loosening up, but wow it sounds absolutely fantastic now. The separation is unreal, bass is really low reaching, highs are well controlled, and male voices sound amazing. 

 

I've had them on now for a while and feel no fatigue what-so-ever. They are really comfy for me too.

post #2541 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkz View Post

I've been reading these threads for quite a few months now and am getting ready to take the plunge into a pair of these wonderful headphones. I just have a few more things to sell then I will be pulling the trigger. I can't wait to have a pair of these open beasts to compliment my Fostexes!

 

You won't be disappointed one bit!

post #2542 of 19792
Thread Starter 

^^Are these your first pair or are you part of the recall?

post #2543 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^Are these your first pair or are you part of the recall?

 

First pair. I wouldn't be able to deal with a recall, i can't separate myself from them lol

post #2544 of 19792

Here's a song that will make you hear the HE-400's high treble spike. 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hPBHk3yhno&feature=youtu.be

 

 

 

Treble spike at 16khz for the recording, elevated 20khz region.

 

 

 

The song also has a lot of bass centered around 40hz, and usable extension down to 30hz.

post #2545 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

Forgot to mention the headband. Again is a non-issue for me. I have bushy hair so that's enough padding for me :D 

 

For me the headband itself isn't the issue, it's the shape of it in that it tends to apply most of the weight to the top center of the head with nearly no distribution around the sides of the head.  This means there's three points of contact: Around the ears and the top of your skull, and this is what leads to discomfort.  Not so much a lack of padding so much as bad weight distribution.   Thicker padding doesn't really help by a matter of adding padding itself, but adding additional points of contact for weight distribution by forming to the shape of your head. 

 

Granted, it's a bigger issue with the heavier cans like HE-500 and HE-6, but a thicker pad is still ideal mostly for that reason.

post #2546 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Here's a song that will make you hear the HE-400's high treble spike. 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hPBHk3yhno&feature=youtu.be

 

 

 

 

Treble spike at 16khz for the recording, elevated 20khz region.

 

 

 

 

The song also has a lot of bass centered around 40hz, and usable extension down to 30hz.

 

Yep it's certainly audible on that track, quite grating actually. I may need to eq it down if it becomes bothersome but so far none of my music exposes it to that extent.

 

I should also mention that my dac hasn't arrived yet so i was playing that track off of my laptop's jack, maybe with the m-stage it won't sound so grating.

post #2547 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy View Post

 

For me the headband itself isn't the issue, it's the shape of it in that it tends to apply most of the weight to the top center of the head with nearly no distribution around the sides of the head.  This means there's three points of contact: Around the ears and the top of your skull, and this is what leads to discomfort.  Not so much a lack of padding so much as bad weight distribution.   Thicker padding doesn't really help by a matter of adding padding itself, but adding additional points of contact for weight distribution by forming to the shape of your head. 

 

Granted, it's a bigger issue with the heavier cans like HE-500 and HE-6, but a thicker pad is still ideal mostly for that reason.

 

I see what you mean, yeah it probably would be a bigger issue if these were heavier, but to me they feel as light as a feather.

post #2548 of 19792
The HE-400 should be in at any moment.... GAH, the wait! That and my KSC75 to steal the clips off for use with my KSC35. biggrin.gif

Edit: Got them in. Why in the hell did I EVER sell these? Dear sweet Jesus, how I missed that holographic sound.

These are considerably more clampy than the last ones I had. Better remedy this tonight.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 11/20/12 at 11:15am
post #2549 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

The HE-400 should be in at any moment.... GAH, the wait! That and my KSC75 to steal the clips off for use with my KSC35. biggrin.gif
Edit: Got them in. Why in the hell did I EVER sell these? Dear sweet Jesus, how I missed that holographic sound.
These are considerably more clampy than the last ones I had. Better remedy this tonight.

It is strange how some have clamping force and some do not.I am well over 6'4 and a bigger then average head and mine are loose, my friend owns them (little pipsqueak) and his are tight on his peanut head. He bought his a month after I got mine.

post #2550 of 19792
Thread Starter 

The headband is metal and can be stretched or tightened to suit the user. It comes pretty tight so I would guess most people would want to stretch it to fit.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**