Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 17

post #241 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Okay, for what it's worth I wanted to post a my impression of a cable swap with the he400. I bought the cable here on the used forum and it was made by Chris_himself. Sorry Chris, I got nothing but love for ya bro'. I want to say that if you are considering an after market cable, Chris makes really really nice stuff at a very reasonable price (shameless plug). 

 

The cable itself:

 

The first thing that you notice is the size and weight difference between the pure silver over the stock. The silver cables is absolutely feather light. The stock cable seems like a hose pipe compared to it. You don't feel any weight from the cable at all. In a blind test I would not be able to tell if the silver cable or no cable was connected. It's that light. It's finished in a nice double helix 1/4 plug for termination with a nice wooden yoke. The silver cable is also only 74" which means I don't have to run the cable around the back of my desk which I also appreciate. It's the perfect length to run to my amp with about 2 foot to spare for excess. The look is just awesome. 

 

Initial sound Impression:

 

This is what you'll want to know, right? The silver cable produces a very different sound. It's airy and detailed. Very revealing. I have the velour pads installed currently. The combination of the velours and silver cable reminds me alot of the he500. Don't have them anymore. Compared to the stock cable, the stock has more weight to the sound. Certainly there is more bass extension and impact. I've only had about an hour worth of head time so far after the cable change. Classical is just superb with the silver cable. Pop and rock may be somewhat bass light. Give me a few hours to really audition  and I'll post back if anyone is interested.

Heh it'd be interesting if the two cables produce distinctively different sounds, then you could just switch the HE400 'functions' simply by swapping between the two cables.

post #242 of 18107

Yes! Finally Moon Audio has shipped my HE-400s! Should receive them Friday! Can't wait to finally get to try out my first open, planar magnetic

post #243 of 18107

Ugh My He-500's doesn't coming until next Tuesday for me from Moon Audio. Zzzzz... Tell me how it's goes with the 400's though.

post #244 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcberto View Post

Ugh My He-500's doesn't coming until next Tuesday for me from Moon Audio. Zzzzz... Tell me how it's goes with the 400's though.

 

You should have opted for a quicker shipping option so you'd have them for the weekend.  It may have only been $20 more.  I'm sure during the weekend, you'll blow $20 and not even know where you spent it.  Instead,  you could have been home with your new headphones.

post #245 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

You should have opted for a quicker shipping option so you'd have them for the weekend.  It may have only been $20 more.  I'm sure during the weekend, you'll blow $20 and not even know where you spent it.  Instead,  you could have been home with your new headphones.

I'm sure if he was gonna blow $20, he might as well ordered from head-direct and got them wayyyy earlier. We have at least been waiting a week so that's probably $60 gone haha.

 

You must be in Cali, I'm in Rhode Island, so my shipment will thankfully arrive before the weekend (yes $20 saved!!)

post #246 of 18107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

You should have opted for a quicker shipping option so you'd have them for the weekend.  It may have only been $20 more.  I'm sure during the weekend, you'll blow $20 and not even know where you spent it.  Instead,  you could have been home with your new headphones.

I spent about $10 extra from moon audio shipping and had them in two days!! Worth every penny...smile.gif

post #247 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Okay, for what it's worth I wanted to post a my impression of a cable swap with the he400. I bought the cable here on the used forum and it was made by Chris_himself. Sorry Chris, I got nothing but love for ya bro'. I want to say that if you are considering an after market cable, Chris makes really really nice stuff at a very reasonable price (shameless plug). 

 

The cable itself:

 

The first thing that you notice is the size and weight difference between the pure silver over the stock. The silver cables is absolutely feather light. The stock cable seems like a hose pipe compared to it. You don't feel any weight from the cable at all. In a blind test I would not be able to tell if the silver cable or no cable was connected. It's that light. It's finished in a nice double helix 1/4 plug for termination with a nice wooden yoke. The silver cable is also only 74" which means I don't have to run the cable around the back of my desk which I also appreciate. It's the perfect length to run to my amp with about 2 foot to spare for excess. The look is just awesome. 

 

Initial sound Impression:

 

This is what you'll want to know, right? The silver cable produces a very different sound. It's airy and detailed. Very revealing. I have the velour pads installed currently. The combination of the velours and silver cable reminds me alot of the he500. Don't have them anymore. Compared to the stock cable, the stock has more weight to the sound. Certainly there is more bass extension and impact. I've only had about an hour worth of head time so far after the cable change. Classical is just superb with the silver cable. Pop and rock may be somewhat bass light. Give me a few hours to really audition  and I'll post back if anyone is interested.

 

Interesting, your silver cable impressions remind me of the impressions I have from my O2 experience (yes, I got it, more info on that later maybe in a separate review).   I'm not sure for the HE-400 I'd call it an "improvement" though as I personally like the syrupy sound of the hybrid amp with the stock cable.  I'm not sure I'd like a silver cable on them.  And if the differences are similar, I tend to prefer classical on the stock.

post #248 of 18107

Matt: I can't remember which thread you asked on so I'll give you the link to my Objective 2 impressions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607429/suitable-desktop-amp-for-d5000/15

 

After the experience, I know that I don't think I want a silver cable for HE-400!  Still haven't decided for, eventually, HD650 though.
 

post #249 of 18107
Thread Starter 

There are things that I really like with the cable. But ultimately I prefer the stock for overall sound quality. I love the weight, flexibility and look of the silver cable. Like I said earlier, it's like having no cable attached at all in terms of weight. But the sound of the stock just seems to bring out the best in the he400. I guess there is a good reason why HFM did not use the silver cable for the he400. I think that the silver cable would be fantastic with the he500 and up. 

 

I may put this one up for sale if anyone is interested.

post #250 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

There are things that I really like with the cable. But ultimately I prefer the stock for overall sound quality. I love the weight, flexibility and look of the silver cable. Like I said earlier, it's like having no cable attached at all in terms of weight. But the sound of the stock just seems to bring out the best in the he400. I guess there is a good reason why HFM did not use the silver cable for the he400. I think that the silver cable would be fantastic with the he500 and up. 

 

I may put this one up for sale if anyone is interested.

 

What makes you so sure the Canare wouldn't also suit HE-500 better, based on personal preference, than the silver?  I would think with pleather pads and the Canare cable, they would start sounding a lot more like HE-400.  They'd still be brigher and more mids-centric, but the overall timbre and signature would probably be more similar.   I doubt HE-500 "benefits" from silver any more than 400, only that the sound signature is based on that general direction for each. 

 

I still have mixed feelings about silver cables.  They're crazy popular with HD650, and yet, if you brighten it too much, is it still and HD650?  (There's also the bit about spending $200-300 on a cable for a $500 headphone that used to cost $350.... )

post #251 of 18107
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy View Post

 

What makes you so sure the Canare wouldn't also suit HE-500 better, based on personal preference, than the silver?  I would think with pleather pads and the Canare cable, they would start sounding a lot more like HE-400.  They'd still be brigher and more mids-centric, but the overall timbre and signature would probably be more similar.   I doubt HE-500 "benefits" from silver any more than 400, only that the sound signature is based on that general direction for each. 

 

I still have mixed feelings about silver cables.  They're crazy popular with HD650, and yet, if you brighten it too much, is it still and HD650?  (There's also the bit about spending $200-300 on a cable for a $500 headphone that used to cost $350.... )

Suddenly you have the funds to buy a clearly superior headphone, the HE500's, complete with its own silver cable. Funny how that works lol.

post #252 of 18107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy View Post

 

What makes you so sure the Canare wouldn't also suit HE-500 better, based on personal preference, than the silver?  I would think with pleather pads and the Canare cable, they would start sounding a lot more like HE-400.  They'd still be brigher and more mids-centric, but the overall timbre and signature would probably be more similar.   I doubt HE-500 "benefits" from silver any more than 400, only that the sound signature is based on that general direction for each. 

 

I still have mixed feelings about silver cables.  They're crazy popular with HD650, and yet, if you brighten it too much, is it still and HD650?  (There's also the bit about spending $200-300 on a cable for a $500 headphone that used to cost $350.... )

 

You make a good point. What would be interesting is to have:

 

*he400 w/ velour pads and silver cable

*he500 with pleather pads and canare cable 

 

Listen to them on the same amp with the same material. I wonder just how similar that they would sound. I had a silver dragon cable on the he500 and it was a nice improvement on the stock cable.

post #253 of 18107

Would you recommend these headphones for Classic Rock and Metal (mostly traditional/epic/prog)?

post #254 of 18107
Thread Starter 

Yes, no question.

post #255 of 18107

I haven't really fully bought into the whole cable debate but I will admit that I am not a fan of the stock HE500 cable. It sounds fantastic but I got one terminated with 1/8" and a crappy 1/4" adapter and just don't like it so I took the plunge and preordered the Norse Norn V2, I figured while I was at it I'd future proof it and ordered it terminated in a mini xlr (male) and bought a 2 foot adapter (mini xlr female to 1/4") that way if I move to a balanced amp I can just buy another adapter to balanced termination. I don't honestly know if it sounds better but I know it is absolutely bloody beautiful and is a cable worthy of a high end headphone. The cotton, the braiding, the wood splitter it all just screams artisan craftsmanship and I can't get over how much I love it. If pressed I would say I've noticed a more lush sound if anything but my HE500 really makes me a happy camper. 

 

That being said if anyone really wants to try the silver cable on their HE400 I'll let it go for 25 bucks plus shipping (I'll just buy a record...) and you can check it out yourself....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**