or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1366

post #20476 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidA View Post

The grill mod is not very dangerous and is reversible, just don't go poking around inside of the housing while the grills are removed, also while the grills are off you might want to try the placing the sorbothane on the inside of the housing.  I'm probably going to try the sorbothane mod in a month or two after I've moved, it sound interesting and is reversible so can't hurt to try.
Is there any photos of the grill mod? My sorb should arrive today & i may do both. Some photos of the process would be nice.
post #20477 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybone0566 View Post


Is there any photos of the grill mod? My sorb should arrive today & i may do both. Some photos of the process would be nice.

This is what I used for my grill mod:

The grill material came from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/CCG-Perforated-Grill-Mesh-Sheet/dp/B00F3FJYSQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1425916155&sr=1-2&keywords=car+grill

I cut it with a large sheet metal cutting snips, placed some painters tape on the grill material and traced the original grill on the tape and cute it out.  Used a dremmel to finish it of to the correct size.

Silk organza:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056BHGV4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cut out a square slightly larger than the grill and used a spray on adhesive to attach to back of grill.

Note that I didn't put back the retainer ring.  I cut the grill larger where they had to fit in the slots for the retainer ring since the grill is too thick to fit under the ring as is, grinding all the edges to fit under the ring is going to take awhile.

Be careful not to use too much pressure when filing the edges, the grill material is strong but it will bend and if you bend it too much it will crack off, learned this the hard way, wasted 2 grills.

One sheet will make about 10 to 12 grills depending on how you lay them out, I've made 8 so far and have enough to make 3-4 more.  Made 2 for HE-400, 2 for HE-400i and 2 for HE-560 with 2 that I ruined trying to feather the edge to fit under the retaining rings.

Finished product:

He-400i

HE-400i

HE-400


Edited by DavidA - 7/29/15 at 6:45am
post #20478 of 20490

@DavidA

 

Very nice. They look great.

post #20479 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by htr2d2 View Post
 

@DavidA

 

Very nice. They look great.


thanks:beyersmile:

post #20480 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by coletrain104 View Post
 

They're airier, less full sounding. Honestly I take issue with both :rolleyes: 

I always found the pleather pads to have an echoey effect


But they do sound more detailed than the pleather, I guess thats good, what do u mean by take issues? Meaning that u favor the pleather?

post #20481 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21quest View Post
 


But they do sound more detailed than the pleather, I guess thats good, what do u mean by take issues? Meaning that u favor the pleather?

Meaning I really think both have a weird vocal presentation. I'm not sure which I prefer.

post #20482 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by coletrain104 View Post
 

Meaning I really think both have a weird vocal presentation. I'm not sure which I prefer.


Time to mod your pleathers then. Remove the foam spacer ring, then cut some hole-punch sized holes in the back of the pleather. You can also trim the excess material from the mounting ring, though I am not sure if that REALLY was the key part of the mod. Look up Jergmod for pics and detailed process info.

 

The reward is less resonance/ringing in the midrange, similar to the velours, while you retain the "warm" bass.

 

Because the mesh material is thicker than the velours, they still lack the "ultimate" resolution possible. In my case not all the ringing went away. But I had my pleathers on for months this way and really enjoyed it. It is just that in the long-run the velours are better. ;)

 

But I like being able to switch back and forth and play around from time to time.

post #20483 of 20490
While everyone is modding their HE-400, I just got my Asgard2 and Modi 2 Uber and yes now we're talking. :-)
I guess on how loud a track is recorded but it seems on high gain I get the best results.
Read that the Asgard2 is somewhat smoother/fuller then the Magni2 (brighter), so that helps with the treble (though I must say it doesn't bother me at all).
Before I even think of modding/earpads/headbands I think I'll be enjoying this first.
post #20484 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelE View Post

While everyone is modding their HE-400, I just got my Asgard2 and Modi 2 Uber and yes now we're talking. :-)
I guess on how loud a track is recorded but it seems on high gain I get the best results.
Read that the Asgard2 is somewhat smoother/fuller then the Magni2 (brighter), so that helps with the treble (though I must say it doesn't bother me at all).
Before I even think of modding/earpads/headbands I think I'll be enjoying this first.

+1. The whole modding thing is open to you, but properly driving them should be first and foremost. These aren't run-of-the-mill iDevice-friendly cans. Enjoy the new setup - I'm sure it's made a big difference, and in time track what you miss/need/enjoy and go from there.

post #20485 of 20490
I have 3 weeks off now so enough time to get a good picture of how everything now sounds.
Listened to it all night yesterday and even now this morning smily_headphones1.gif
Listening to a few vocal tracks, right now it's The War on Drugs, and before I found the voice a bit backwards as I've also
read here. As if it's singing in the back instead of close in front of you.
But now when properly amped, I noticed it's back to the front again, great no more recessed mids I guess.
post #20486 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelE View Post

I have 3 weeks off now so enough time to get a good picture of how everything now sounds.
Listened to it all night yesterday and even now this morning smily_headphones1.gif
Listening to a few vocal tracks, right now it's The War on Drugs, and before I found the voice a bit backwards as I've also
read here. As if it's singing in the back instead of close in front of you.
But now when properly amped, I noticed it's back to the front again, great no more recessed mids I guess.

That's huge and if there's one thing that always debated with these (and the reason for many mods) it's a somewhat strange mid-range and "tizzy" highs for those sensitive to it. Many call it recessed mids, and that was my first impression through some amps. If there's one thing I've learned (after being ready to toss these, and currently after getting the HD-800's) it's: give it some time. The brain adjusts, and there are system tweaks or changes you can make, but do them after time not on first-blush.

post #20487 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDamian View Post
 

That's huge and if there's one thing that always debated with these (and the reason for many mods) it's a somewhat strange mid-range and "tizzy" highs for those sensitive to it. Many call it recessed mids, and that was my first impression through some amps. If there's one thing I've learned (after being ready to toss these, and currently after getting the HD-800's) it's: give it some time. The brain adjusts, and there are system tweaks or changes you can make, but do them after time not on first-blush.


very good observation...samething for me but the he 400 have a great potential:smile:.... for my experience with a good amp,cable, and the sorbothane mod, tube made also difference....

post #20488 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelE View Post

I have 3 weeks off now so enough time to get a good picture of how everything now sounds.
Listened to it all night yesterday and even now this morning smily_headphones1.gif
Listening to a few vocal tracks, right now it's The War on Drugs, and before I found the voice a bit backwards as I've also
read here. As if it's singing in the back instead of close in front of you.
But now when properly amped, I noticed it's back to the front again, great no more recessed mids I guess.


Glad you are enjoying your HE-400.  And yes properly amped is the key.  I got mine about 2 years ago and tried to "upgrade" to HE-400i and HE-560, after having all three and comparing them for a month ended up keeping all three, they each have their strong points and weaknesses.

post #20489 of 20490
I was read a little bit this and other threads, so I decided to buy this headphones over the beyers dt770 and dt990. As an owner of denon hp700 and soundmagic e10 as my portable headphones, I thought it was a better option to pair with my Fiio e17 alpen 2 amp/dac.

I have not experience with headphones. When I was younger, my father had a pioneer SE 500's. It was lovely sound. After that i bought for myself a jvc rx300 which I have had for more than 8 years.

With my denons I was completely satisfied, but I have decided to buy a new ones to improved my new collection of my favorite songs in a flac format.

I have a great expetaction with this headphones. I hope to had taked a good desition buying this hifiman over the beyers.

Now i have to wait a little bit until it comes my hands

Cheers
post #20490 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel2780 View Post
. When I was younger, my father had a pioneer SE 500's. It was lovely sound.
 

The SE500 is a hidden gem, I love mine!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**