Originally Posted by Dragunov-21
What about the HD650? Or is the O2 a poor match for those too? (not worried about sound sig at this stage, just ability to power)
I'm gonna be returning the 400s (if I can, or onselling them) if the sibilance doesn't f*** off when I hook them up to the O2. At the moment, I'm *really* enjoying about 5% of the music I have and hating the other 95% (what I thought was a improvement was just the fact that I was listening to orchestral stuff rather than vocal-focussed stuff).
I really want to like these things, but my UM3Xs are just crapping all over them at the moment, s'yeah =/
Might as well post up my results given FLAC>ODAC>O2>HE-400 (Velour)
> Sibilance is reduced substantially, but still pretty poor on songs that are... worse than average for it, I guess.
> Treble is still piercing, yet at volumes that still don't give the music any "body" (I'm assuming this is the dip in FQ around the mids).
> It is very very detailed, but not much more so than me ER4Ps.
> EQ makes it slightly better, but not enough.
>I've been listening to it for the past two hours, running through all my favourite tracks, trying to like them, and the only reason I can think of wanting to keep them is because open 'phones are, it turns out, great for playing an instrument with. They're great for instrumental tracks with not much percussion, but that's about it.
As an aside, I've noticed that the right driver is very slightly louder:
Standard setup - RH louder
Reversed channels - RH louder
Reversed cable/cup connections - RH louder
Reversed phones on head - LH louder.
Think I would have been better spending the almost-750 bucks on some custom IEMs of something =/ As it stands I think I'll have to return the HEs and figure out whether it's worth keeping the Objective gear or taking the shipping (est $30) and restocking fee ($45). It's a shame - I really wanted to love these.