Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1321

post #19801 of 19810
if anyone is using itouch devices or iphones, the accudio app has a new hifiman he4 setting which makes the he-400 sound very sweet. Used to use the he-500 setting, but the new he-4 setting is great for a balanced sound
post #19802 of 19810
Another question about the HE-400, any one got some knowledge about the driver revisions and where to get the latest models of the HE-400 (I'm not sure how to tell if the one on amazon is the latest/best revision).

Thanks Head Fi'ers
Edited by icebrain1 - 3/27/15 at 12:52pm
post #19803 of 19810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodhifi View Post
 

It was the @#$@#$ leather earpads. My velour replacements came in tonight. Tight acoustic seal now, bass sounds strong but normal, mids are no longer echoey. The sound signature is completely different. Seriously I don't know how anybody could deal with these using the stock leatherettes, it's the biggest change in sound character I've ever experienced just from changing pads. There is a midrange now as well.


What you were hearing is the "ringing" that the HE-400 do in the critical midrange area (I think 1-2khz). Jerg and Purring or Tyll or whoever documented that in waterfall plots waaaaayyy back in this thread. There are some Freq response plots on the net' if you want to see the difference between stock, velour, and modded pads. Essentially, the velours have a high-energy, but less "peaked" treble response.

 

The velour pads provide more damping than the memory foam pads (don't know if the foam is closed or open cell in those). But that solves some of the ringing problem. But as a more experienced listener, I have to admit that there is still noticeable ringing from time to time.

 

The modded pleathers are also worthwhile - they provide a somewhat "warmer" sound for the HE-400s and kill some of the ringing that make them sound bad compared to the velours. But I still think the velours are overall the best compromise - not to mention they simply seem even more revealing.

post #19804 of 19810
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebrain1 View Post

Another question about the HE-400, any one got some knowledge about the driver revisions and where to get the latest models of the HE-400 (I'm not sure how to tell if the one on amazon is the latest/best revision).

Thanks Head Fi'ers

@icebrain1if you take off the earpad and look at the color of the crossgrid part of the driver. i forget which color correlates with which revision, but the info is definitely buried somewhere within this thread.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

Color of the plastic encasing the driver.

Black = rev 1

White = rev 2

Sandy Brown = rev 3

Transluscent White = rev 4

 

Edited by money4me247 - 3/27/15 at 7:03pm
post #19805 of 19810
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebrain1 View Post

Another question about the HE-400, any one got some knowledge about the driver revisions and where to get the latest models of the HE-400 (I'm not sure how to tell if the one on amazon is the latest/best revision).

Thanks Head Fi'ers


I got my HE-400 last year Feb and they were Rev4 drivers so unless they got old stock from somewhere else should be latest.  Also, Amazon has a great return policy so if you get older drivers just return it.

post #19806 of 19810

I couldn't see how to make my extra 990/880 pads fit the 400, they slip on with the vinyl outer ring and the 400's kind of clip on from the inside plastic ring. The set I ordered was from a youtube suggested store I'd never used. I got 3 pairs shipped for $37 (the amazon price for 1 set of 990 pads in black)

 

Shipping took about a week. These are obviously straight from China as the pairs came in ziplock bags with no marketing art or papers, the foam is on the stiff side and not as comfortable as the 990 pads and the velour is not as thick, but I don't care, 400% improvement on the leatherette. Here's the link. I'm in no way affiliated with these guys and the link doesn't get me a referral or anything.

 

They go for $10 each with $7 shipping regardless of quantity so I bought 3.

http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=Detail&id=117

 

As a fellow lover of all things DT-990 I haven't once wanted to listen to them since I fixed the 400's. I think you will be greatly pleased once you get a good ear seal. The bass is powerfull without being overpowering, if that makes sense. They are capable of literally shaking your head without using any EQ or bass boost, but the effect greatly depends on the source track. I'm listening to V.A.S.T - VAST right now and holy **** dude. I don't even..... So good...the bass included.

 

Other tracks which were bassey on the 990's just sound normal on the 400's. Some good examples of this are dubstep and electronic type tracks but again with individual variation. Try listening to VAST - Pretty when you cry    and the bass is like nothing you've ever heard on a 990.

 

Good luck with your order and welcome to the club! One last thing, Due to the pad problems i had with the leatherettes my initial experience was skewed but there was still an audible burn in. If you don't like the sound out of the box, let them break in about 4 hours and the highs will relax and become more detailed, less harsh, the bass picks up as well, the last thing to develop is the midrange, going from obscured, to present.

 

 

Quote:
What you were hearing is the "ringing" that the HE-400 do in the critical midrange area (I think 1-2khz). Jerg and Purring or Tyll or whoever documented that in waterfall plots waaaaayyy back in this thread. There are some Freq response plots on the net' if you want to see the difference between stock, velour, and modded pads. Essentially, the velours have a high-energy, but less "peaked" treble response.

There was a definite ringing but it was higher up. While trying to figure out what was wrong I played around with an EQ, boosting and cutting different bands trying to find the ones that were too high or too low, and 1-3khz had little effect. IE at 6db of boost there was more like 1db of effect. Certain pitches would resonate like a resonant filter turned up too high. That grossly obvious ringing sounded like it was phase doubling and phase cancelling. IE certain frequencies got canceled out and others boosted. The worst bands were 7k and 8k with up to a 6db cut needed to make something sound more natural, but only on that track, the next track, it would be off and I'd have to find a new center, until I gave up.

 

I'm running with no EQ now and all sound processing turned off and they sound great. Still a little bumpyness but they are way flatter than my 990's were and in spite of the scoop on the 990's they didn't overly color any particular band other than a very forward hi treble response especially once I upgraded my DAC.


Edited by Kodhifi - 3/27/15 at 8:14pm
post #19807 of 19810
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebrain1 View Post

Another question about the HE-400, any one got some knowledge about the driver revisions and where to get the latest models of the HE-400 (I'm not sure how to tell if the one on amazon is the latest/best revision).

Thanks Head Fi'ers


Mine were purchased from Amazon (seller was Audio Advisor and had prime shipping) and ordered last Saturday. I don't know anything about the various revisions, but these came with a greyish/black audio cable that was quite normal compared to the horror stories I've heard about the old stock cable so I can only assume they are new stock.

post #19808 of 19810
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

@icebrain1
, if you take off the earpad and look at the color of the crossgrid part of the driver. i forget which color correlates with which revision, but the info is definitely buried somewhere within this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidA View Post


I got my HE-400 last year Feb and they were Rev4 drivers so unless they got old stock from somewhere else should be latest.  Also, Amazon has a great return policy so if you get older drivers just return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodhifi View Post

I couldn't see how to make my extra 990/880 pads fit the 400, they slip on with the vinyl outer ring and the 400's kind of clip on from the inside plastic ring. The set I ordered was from a youtube suggested store I'd never used. I got 3 pairs shipped for $37 (the amazon price for 1 set of 990 pads in black)

Shipping took about a week. These are obviously straight from China as the pairs came in ziplock bags with no marketing art or papers, the foam is on the stiff side and not as comfortable as the 990 pads and the velour is not as thick, but I don't care, 400% improvement on the leatherette. Here's the link. I'm in no way affiliated with these guys and the link doesn't get me a referral or anything.

They go for $10 each with $7 shipping regardless of quantity so I bought 3.
http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=Detail&id=117

As a fellow lover of all things DT-990 I haven't once wanted to listen to them since I fixed the 400's. I think you will be greatly pleased once you get a good ear seal. The bass is powerfull without being overpowering, if that makes sense. They are capable of literally shaking your head without using any EQ or bass boost, but the effect greatly depends on the source track. I'm listening to V.A.S.T - VAST right now and holy **** dude. I don't even..... So good...the bass included.

Other tracks which were bassey on the 990's just sound normal on the 400's. Some good examples of this are dubstep and electronic type tracks but again with individual variation. Try listening to VAST - Pretty when you cry    and the bass is like nothing you've ever heard on a 990.

Good luck with your order and welcome to the club! One last thing, Due to the pad problems i had with the leatherettes my initial experience was skewed but there was still an audible burn in. If you don't like the sound out of the box, let them break in about 4 hours and the highs will relax and become more detailed, less harsh, the bass picks up as well, the last thing to develop is the midrange, going from obscured, to present.


There was a definite ringing but it was higher up. While trying to figure out what was wrong I played around with an EQ, boosting and cutting different bands trying to find the ones that were too high or too low, and 1-3khz had little effect. IE at 6db of boost there was more like 1db of effect. Certain pitches would resonate like a resonant filter turned up too high. That grossly obvious ringing sounded like it was phase doubling and phase cancelling. IE certain frequencies got canceled out and others boosted. The worst bands were 7k and 8k with up to a 6db cut needed to make something sound more natural, but only on that track, the next track, it would be off and I'd have to find a new center, until I gave up.

I'm running with no EQ now and all sound processing turned off and they sound great. Still a little bumpyness but they are way flatter than my 990's were and in spite of the scoop on the 990's they didn't overly color any particular band other than a very forward hi treble response especially once I upgraded my DAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodhifi View Post


Mine were purchased from Amazon (seller was Audio Advisor and had prime shipping) and ordered last Saturday. I don't know anything about the various revisions, but these came with a greyish/black audio cable that was quite normal compared to the horror stories I've heard about the old stock cable so I can only assume they are new stock.

Thanks a ton guys for all the info and advice, I'll leave some feed back when I get/test them.

Thank you very much.

Ps,
If I do the grill mod it might be nice to make a couple cosmetic chanes as well, could add a custom designed grill and change the earcup and hight adjuster color, im not a big fan of blue on head phones, Lol pointless but may be fun. Any one got any other ideas to adjust there looks, or any other mods I should consider.
Edited by icebrain1 - 3/27/15 at 8:44pm
post #19809 of 19810

If you have muscular shoulders or a short neck you might want to find a way to lessen the cable ends poking out of the cans. I'm thinking of cable tying mine doubled back up the headband. It really needs something like a shorter coax connector or a right angle connector.

 

 

The discovery continues. Listening to NIN - Sin , a song I've heard hundreds of times and suddenly, plain as day I can hear Trent left the metronome on in the center channel. Take a listen, if you've ever heard a click track that drummers use your ears will pick it right up. The 400's are amazing.


Edited by Kodhifi - 3/27/15 at 9:47pm
post #19810 of 19810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodhifi View Post

I couldn't see how to make my extra 990/880 pads fit the 400, they slip on with the vinyl outer ring and the 400's kind of clip on from the inside plastic ring. The set I ordered was from a youtube suggested store I'd never used. I got 3 pairs shipped for $37 (the amazon price for 1 set of 990 pads in black)

Shipping took about a week. These are obviously straight from China as the pairs came in ziplock bags with no marketing art or papers, the foam is on the stiff side and not as comfortable as the 990 pads and the velour is not as thick, but I don't care, 400% improvement on the leatherette. Here's the link. I'm in no way affiliated with these guys and the link doesn't get me a referral or anything.

They go for $10 each with $7 shipping regardless of quantity so I bought 3.
http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=Detail&id=117

As a fellow lover of all things DT-990 I haven't once wanted to listen to them since I fixed the 400's. I think you will be greatly pleased once you get a good ear seal. The bass is powerfull without being overpowering, if that makes sense. They are capable of literally shaking your head without using any EQ or bass boost, but the effect greatly depends on the source track. I'm listening to V.A.S.T - VAST right now and holy **** dude. I don't even..... So good...the bass included.

Other tracks which were bassey on the 990's just sound normal on the 400's. Some good examples of this are dubstep and electronic type tracks but again with individual variation. Try listening to VAST - Pretty when you cry    and the bass is like nothing you've ever heard on a 990.

Good luck with your order and welcome to the club! One last thing, Due to the pad problems i had with the leatherettes my initial experience was skewed but there was still an audible burn in. If you don't like the sound out of the box, let them break in about 4 hours and the highs will relax and become more detailed, less harsh, the bass picks up as well, the last thing to develop is the midrange, going from obscured, to present.


There was a definite ringing but it was higher up. While trying to figure out what was wrong I played around with an EQ, boosting and cutting different bands trying to find the ones that were too high or too low, and 1-3khz had little effect. IE at 6db of boost there was more like 1db of effect. Certain pitches would resonate like a resonant filter turned up too high. That grossly obvious ringing sounded like it was phase doubling and phase cancelling. IE certain frequencies got canceled out and others boosted. The worst bands were 7k and 8k with up to a 6db cut needed to make something sound more natural, but only on that track, the next track, it would be off and I'd have to find a new center, until I gave up.

I'm running with no EQ now and all sound processing turned off and they sound great. Still a little bumpyness but they are way flatter than my 990's were and in spite of the scoop on the 990's they didn't overly color any particular band other than a very forward hi treble response especially once I upgraded my DAC.

Head-direct is a direct subsidiary of hifiman, so you bought right at the source. ;-)

Cheers,
K
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**