Don't you guys think it's odd the velour pads gives better bass than the pleather? Shouldn't pleather be better at bass because it isolates better?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 11/21/14
Admittedly, I took far too long to post this review. I wanted to try a different approach that involved becoming accustomed to the signature followed by a period without them, and then a...
FiiO has been quite successful with their X series of high resolution digital audio player. So much so that perhaps even they themselves didn’t anticipate that the company will have to shift its...
I bought these at less than half retail on a whim from Audio Advisor, looking to replace my aging Sennheiser HD 580's. Look at the picture...these are VERY NICELY made headphones! All aluminum...
The HM5 Velours are quite simply, an uber-comfortable pad for HM5/Shure/Beyer/ATH/(most large circumaural headphones). I was offered a review sample from Brainwavz and have the following to say...
Almost 2 months with these gems. I simply love these IEMs. I paired them against my Shure SE215 and the Havi B3 Pro 1 and I briefly pit them against the UE700s and Klipsch S4II. I am definitely no...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1230
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Velour uses stiffer foam, so theoretically, any energy from the bass should transfer to your cheek and jaw better than with pleather. That's not to say that velour gives mores bass quantity, but perhaps it gives more bass impact.
The pleathers sound the "warmest" to my ears, but they never seemed to give off a sound as balanced as the velours. The warm bass / nuetral-ly treble always sounded a little off, even if it was sometimes pretty enjoyable.
I find the treble spike on these headphones more annoying with the pleather because most of the time its dark then BAM bright treble out of nowhere like an ambush , with the velours you're always getting brighter sound, the bright treble doesn't come as a surprise.
I sort of hate spotify - adds cutting in during album listening can really break up the zen I'm in. It also just doesn't sound EXACTLY as good as my regular Mp3s, be they ripped at 320 or at 192 or even lower. I swear something is going on there - but maybe I am crazy.
Most I just like to go to spotify to check out new releases - I've bought at least a couple of CDs because of that. But then again music is getting confusing with Thom Yorke releasing new stuff independently, and Taylor Swift saying "no" to streaming music entirely. I assume someday I'll need an iTunes account for one band, and a paypal account for another!
I am interested in buying a used HE 400. Could get one for about 230€ including Focus Pads and short custom cable.
As this unit is about 2 years old (so no more warranty), I wonder if anyone has some "long term" experience with these cans?
Are the 400 considered durable? Read few posts where people had driver issues. Is this a common issue (sorry, did not read through all 1230 pages of this thread)?
Looking forward to some feedback.
After extended listening, I love the visceral sub bass on the pleather pads., but the velour has more impact and texture. I also feel vocals are much more full with the pleather pads, they have less treble attached to them if it makes any sense, especially female vocals. It's really odd that the velour pads takes away a whole lot of the female vocal harmonics.
The he-400 with the pleather pads is for people who enjoy listening to mainstream music, like rap, hiphop, pop etc and the he-500 for vocals, acoustic, jazz, classical, country etc. It's like the he-500 for the daddy/mom and the he-400 for the daughter/son, IMO both equally capable but difference tastes. It's bananas that he-500 costed like 2x more.
Long story short, the velour pads are an acquired taste.
Edited by retskrad - Yesterday at 6:05 am
The stock pleathers just sound very bad to my ears, closed in and wonky tonality. The velours improve everything, but present the problematic treble spike more strongly. The modulor jerg pads are by far and away the best pads to my ears (with the sub-bass mod). Just got the HE560 though, so these HE400s are going to get much less head time now..
You also get better quality streaming and can save to your portable devices for offline use. I feel that my Spotify subscription is one of my best value outgoing payments. If there is an album I really like, I will still buy the CD on Amazon as I'm not convinced that even Spotify Premium is giving me good quality rips all the time. It varies from album to album. But, for a pick up and listen/discover anything tool, even on the go/in the car, it cannot be beaten.
Each to their own. I find the Spotify subscription to be a major money saver for me. I barely buy any albums anymore, I just save what I want to my different playlists on Spotify, and it's all there. But everybody's situation is different.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Tralucent 1Plus2 + Whiplash TwAg TwCu V2 hybrid 8 connector upgrade 11 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 58 seconds ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 1 minute ago
- › Raleigh/Durham NC Triangle Social Event / Listening Party - Sunday,... 1 minute ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › IEM recommendation 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 3 minutes ago
- › Baycode's Upcoming and Completed Reviews Newsfeed Page 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Kamakahah
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by ClieOS
- › HiFiMAN HE-300 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by JoeDoe
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by audiobean
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by donnot
- › Zynsonix Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable by BeatsWork
- › Mitsubishi LT-30 by Golden Ears
- › JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone by ajlan
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)