- 376 Posts. Joined 7/2014
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
“You know, I’ve never owned any Schi….um, any of your products..” I was saying to Jason Stoddard in LA in March. Indeed, the last time I’d sampled anything from his company was years ago at a meet...
I am new to head-fi and this is my first ever review. Basically I joined head-fi to read people's expert opinions on different products, as I'm not an audiophile and do not know much about the...
Alessandro Music Series MS1i Black Walnut Cups $169 Big thanks to JoeDoe of Head-Fi as he performed the cup installation as well as the swapping out the headband. I paid a little more for mine...
Value: I got these for $207 and at twice the price they'd be a great buy. Sound: If the next sentence seems defensive, it's not. it's an assertion of the sound quality of the HD598s. I've been in...
I'll refrain from writing an extensive review this time, as everything important has already been shown and written down in the other reviews here on head-fi. I second those opinions and can...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1223
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I find it amusing that some people here at Head-Fi says the HD800, K701 and DT880 are neutral, while the he-400 is "very v-shaped and should be avoided". All three are bright. Thats not neutral. But when a bright headphone which also has a lot of bass, now that's "V shaped" and should be avoided! How is the he-400 v shaped and the dt880's is neutral? The K701 has a whole lot of upper mids and treble, but for some reason they are neutral and recommended, but the he-400 which has an upper treble tilt is to be avoided?
In what universe is the HD800 neutral? On some recordings it's even worse that the he-400. People say the hd800 is not forgiving of bad recordings, its the same exact thing with the he-400. Makes you wonder if the hd800 was priced similar to the k701, would people praise it so much? Price is a huge placebo enabler imo.
Regarding recessed mids on the he-400, on some recordings yes, but the majority of the time I feel the hd650 and the he400 with velour pads are similar in midrange and vocals presence, the he-400 having more upper treble which makes it more fatiguing on tracks with a lot of treble.
Moral of the story is try the headphones out and don't trust peoples description of headphones. Hell, don't trust mine, try them out yourself.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere: 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 1 minute ago
- › Audio Note 2.1x Signature DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Speaker amps for headphones 2 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sugden Masterclass HA-4 Headphone Amplifier - Anyone heard it? 4 minutes ago
- › Looking for headphones that keep ears cool 4 minutes ago
- › looking for great headphones for mostly movies 5 minutes ago
- › F/S: Jerry Harvey JH Roxanne Customs 5 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio "Mini" desktop line discussion thread 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by harshkamboj
- › Alessandro MS1i by Mshenay
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by ringofoaksmusic
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by AManAnd88Keys
- › Dunu DN-1000 by chupacabra314
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Loquah
- › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones by LMNproyect
- › ASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophiles by Vartan
- › Wireless Stereo Headset by Bugattikid2012
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)