- 326 Posts. Joined 7/2014
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1223
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I find it amusing that some people here at Head-Fi says the HD800, K701 and DT880 are neutral, while the he-400 is "very v-shaped and should be avoided". All three are bright. Thats not neutral. But when a bright headphone which also has a lot of bass, now that's "V shaped" and should be avoided! How is the he-400 v shaped and the dt880's is neutral? The K701 has a whole lot of upper mids and treble, but for some reason they are neutral and recommended, but the he-400 which has an upper treble tilt is to be avoided?
In what universe is the HD800 neutral? On some recordings it's even worse that the he-400. People say the hd800 is not forgiving of bad recordings, its the same exact thing with the he-400. Makes you wonder if the hd800 was priced similar to the k701, would people praise it so much? Price is a huge placebo enabler imo.
Regarding recessed mids on the he-400, on some recordings yes, but the majority of the time I feel the hd650 and the he400 with velour pads are similar in midrange and vocals presence, the he-400 having more upper treble which makes it more fatiguing on tracks with a lot of treble.
Moral of the story is try the headphones out and don't trust peoples description of headphones. Hell, don't trust mine, try them out yourself.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Band Name Game II 24 seconds ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 2 minutes ago
- › Chord&Major 6 Ballad IEM 3 minutes ago
- › Confused about subwoofer outputs. 3 minutes ago
- › ck10 iheadphone uk? 3 minutes ago
- › Vintage Orthodynamic Yamaha YH-100 with Jmoney Beyer pads. [European] 3 minutes ago
- › Portable headphones or earbuds for commuting 6 minutes ago
- › High End CIEM/IEM Thread! 8 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 8 minutes ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 8 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)