Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1222

post #18316 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by q2klepto View Post
 

Im using a GUI for EQ APO yup - heres what mine looks like when taming sibilance. 

 

 

 

Mine are grill modded with Focus Pads so tweak as you like 

 

+100 for Equalizer APO. 

 

Awesome program and a must imo for the HE-400. I wouldn't only want to tame the treble in music players, but games and Youtube videos as well. I don't use the program anymore since moving on from the HE-400 but I'd strongly recommend the program to anyone.

 

I'll have to take a look at that GUI app you posted, looks really helpful. I was editing the config file before to create my EQs which was a pain in the neck!

post #18317 of 18328

Anyone own both the HE-400s and Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs?  I'm trying to sell my Focus Padded, Grill Modded HE-400s and i have someone willing to trade for the mad dogs

 

Is it an even trade? Are the mad dogs a closed equivalent to the 400s? Maybe with deeper bass, non sibilant - with a smaller sound stage, less clarity/separation maybe? 

 

This is with stock mad dog pads i believe, maybe a trade for stock/velour he400 would be more even 

post #18318 of 18328
How xan anyrhing have deeper bass than the 400.
post #18319 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by q2klepto View Post

Anyone own both the HE-400s and Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs?  I'm trying to sell my Focus Padded, Grill Modded HE-400s and i have someone willing to trade for the mad dogs

Is it an even trade? Are the mad dogs a closed equivalent to the 400s? Maybe with deeper bass, non sibilant - with a smaller sound stage, less clarity/separation maybe? 

This is with stock mad dog pads i believe, maybe a trade for stock/velour he400 would be more even 

I have the ZMF vibros, which are a t50rp mod more similar to the alpha dogs. I havent heard the mad dogs. Anyway, the vibros are superior to the HE-400 in all respects (including soundstage and separation) aside from bass texture. But they have a very different presentation, much more relaxed and smooth. They dont have the same energetic, aggressive edge as the HE-400s. Dunno if that helps.
post #18320 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by q2klepto View Post
 

Anyone own both the HE-400s and Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs?  I'm trying to sell my Focus Padded, Grill Modded HE-400s and i have someone willing to trade for the mad dogs

 

Is it an even trade? Are the mad dogs a closed equivalent to the 400s? Maybe with deeper bass, non sibilant - with a smaller sound stage, less clarity/separation maybe? 

 

This is with stock mad dog pads i believe, maybe a trade for stock/velour he400 would be more even 

Dont know if this helps, but a guy I met that owned the MadDogs (didnt had the,with him) and listened to my HE400. He wasn't impressed at all, and preferred the Mad Dogs by far. He said it's also more musical, and everything else he prefers(from highs to lows, soundstage and so on).. I'm not sure what to think about his opinion tough, since he trashes all stuff that isn't his :) And then he sold them and bought LCD2 rev2, now he trashes the MadDogs ;)

post #18321 of 18328
Mad Dog and HE400 are very different flavors. Love them both, prefer the HE400.

Seems like nowadays, everyone is trashing the HE400s. I hate it when people turn on things once they find new toys to play with. Nothing has changed to make the HE400 trash. It has always been a headphone some will love, some will not.
post #18322 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I hate it when people turn on things once they find new toys to play with. Nothing has changed to make the HE400 trash. It has always been a headphone some will love, some will not.

True. I use the SE846, NAD HP50 and HE400, and love them all. The HE400 get's less use from me because most of the time I'm outside in the bus, cycling or in the office. So mostly I use the first 2. If I had HE400 sound as IEM, and SE846 sound as a speaker, I'd be in heaven :)

post #18323 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Mad Dog and HE400 are very different flavors. Love them both, prefer the HE400.

Seems like nowadays, everyone is trashing the HE400s. I hate it when people turn on things once they find new toys to play with. Nothing has changed to make the HE400 trash. It has always been a headphone some will love, some will not.


I wouldn't trash the HE-400s - just the other day I was again enjoying the fact that they simply provide a slightly higher resolution and better speed than my speakers, even if they aren't quite as neutral in the midrange. I probably do value them a lot less today than I used to, if only because so many excellent headphones are showing up at lower prices (and seemingly with better designs). But even given that, there is a reason these were some of the top headphones in their price range when they came out. They upped the ante.

 

Just for kicks I'll probably break out the old modded pleathers for awhile. :L3000:

post #18324 of 18328
Sorry to change the subject.I have had the HE 400 for about a year now. I just changed the cable by bestinverse cables. The improvement and separation is subtle but nice.I find it may a clear change. There is not much info about cables except expensive ones. I paid about $85 delivered. I run them with a Schiitt Lyr and Nexus 7 tablet. The Lyr with GE tubes tones down the sibilance. I tried different tubes but GE sounds the best to my ears.
post #18325 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Mad Dog and HE400 are very different flavors. Love them both, prefer the HE400.

Seems like nowadays, everyone is trashing the HE400s. I hate it when people turn on things once they find new toys to play with. Nothing has changed to make the HE400 trash. It has always been a headphone some will love, some will not.

 

Definitely - but i only plan on having one set of opened backs, and itll be the new 400i (whenever USPS decides to deliver them).  I have a set of closed i use for work, the UE6000s which i will eventually upgrade.

 

Wondering if the HE-400 and Mad Dogs are an "even trade" - was hoping for something like HE-400is in a closed back form factor, but i guess theyre more different than the same. 

 

Mad Dogs seem to be pretty neutral, but maybe half a notch under the 400s in terms of price class. 


Edited by q2klepto - Today at 8:14 am
post #18326 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaTou069 View Post
 

Dont know if this helps, but a guy I met that owned the MadDogs (didnt had the,with him) and listened to my HE400. He wasn't impressed at all, and preferred the Mad Dogs by far. He said it's also more musical, and everything else he prefers(from highs to lows, soundstage and so on).. I'm not sure what to think about his opinion tough, since he trashes all stuff that isn't his :) And then he sold them and bought LCD2 rev2, now he trashes the MadDogs ;)

As others have said, the Mad Dogs are a different can of worms entirely. I have listened to the LCD2-2 and the HE400 balanced off the same system, and while I think the LCDs were of higher quality - as they should be because it is an entirely different price point - the "feel" if you will, of the Hifimans I greatly preferred though. That's what motivated me to go up the Hifiman food chain to the 500s which I think are much better than the LCD2-2

post #18327 of 18328

Just got a pair of HE400, comparing to Fidelio X-1 and Sennheiser HD650 for about 45 minutes.  The HE400 sound like they are scooped out in the middle, vocals are very much different, much more recessed. Can hear it in strings listening to classical, pretty much everything in the middle is more recessed than either of the other 2 headphones.

 

Good or bad?  Can't say, but quite different.

post #18328 of 18328

Is there any way you can extend the HE-400 so that it sits lower on your ears? I recently bought both the headphones and a replacement headband from Amazon. After putting the replacement headband on the HE-400, the pads begin to clip the bottom of my ear lobe (I have a big head). Is there any way to solve this while still keeping the comfort of the replacement headband?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**