Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1199

post #17971 of 18319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

Meh, I think Audeze's bass is overrated.  It's not very impactful.


Yeah, those pesky FAZOR's...

post #17972 of 18319

Even the LCD2 I had prior to fazors didn't have very impactful bass.  It was pretty much on par with he-400.

post #17973 of 18319

Have any of you HE400 owners ever had an issue with something coming loose inside the cups? Yesterday I was moving my headphones off my head and something sounded to be rolling around inside the left cup. I had no music playing at the time. After hearing the rattle, I flipped my headphones around and the thing seemed to be moving and rolling the suddenly it just stopped. I took off the grill and pads and found nothing inside and I haven't been able to repeat the sound. Tonight I plan on spending a few hours listening and if I hear it rattling around I'll take it apart again and see what it is.

Anyone have any idea of what this could be? It looked like there was nothing that could come loose inside the cup and i've never taken the headphones apart before today so nothing could have moved in :/

EDIT: Just for the heck of it, any tips on removing the grill? I got mine off but it was terrifying! Thought I was going to break the little black ring


Edited by GreenMachine - 8/31/14 at 8:03pm
post #17974 of 18319
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
 

Have any of you HE400 owners ever had an issue with something coming loose inside the cups? Yesterday I was moving my headphones off my head and something sounded to be rolling around inside the left cup. I had no music playing at the time. After hearing the rattle, I flipped my headphones around and the thing seemed to be moving and rolling the suddenly it just stopped. I took off the grill and pads and found nothing inside and I haven't been able to repeat the sound. Tonight I plan on spending a few hours listening and if I hear it rattling around I'll take it apart again and see what it is.

Anyone have any idea of what this could be? It looked like there was nothing that could come loose inside the cup and i've never taken the headphones apart before today so nothing could have moved in :/


It may be a piece of the plastic cup snapped off inside...there is a cavity area in the plastic cups.

post #17975 of 18319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohb View Post
 


It may be a piece of the plastic cup snapped off inside...there is a cavity area in the plastic cups.


Yeah I took it apart again and it seems there is something inside the driver itself that is rattling around. This time it was very obvious and I could hear it over the music that I played...

Checked all the plastic parts and couldn't see signs of breakage anywhere and just some gentle rolling of the hp in my hands I could hear the object moving around. Guess I'll be sending it back to the store I bought it from for a replacement. This is quite discouraging as I've only had them for two weeks and I treated them like a newborn child. I'm extremely gentle with my electronics


Edited by GreenMachine - 8/31/14 at 8:23pm
post #17976 of 18319
Yes I think you should send it back, It happens sometime, too bad it's on you
3 weeks without your baby mad.gif
post #17977 of 18319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Even the LCD2 I had prior to fazors didn't have very impactful bass.  It was pretty much on par with he-400.

My lcd 2 has a more textured bass but I agree the HE 400 really shines in this area
With my SS amp I used to think the audeze was showing less bass but with my hybrid amp it's on the same level

About the weight perception it just depends, if the hifiman hurts your head then imo the audeze will have the same flaw, I have no problem with both
post #17978 of 18319

Is it possible to close the cups of the 400i? Like if you cover the grills with your hands, do bass and SS disappear?


Edited by leeperry - 9/1/14 at 1:51pm
post #17979 of 18319

Is it worth buying the Focuspads if I already have the $10 velour pads with  the he-400? whats the advantage of paying $50 for the focus pads? 

 

Also, will the focuspads-A make the sound darker and less sibilant? 


Edited by retskrad - 9/1/14 at 9:23am
post #17980 of 18319

check out my he-400 and he-400i comparison on the he-400i thread

post #17981 of 18319

Does anybody have a 31 band equaliser preset for the he-400 to sound more like the he-500? Can equaliser get the he-400 to have natural tonality? 

post #17982 of 18319
Target the raised treble regions and lower them to upper mid levels, and you'll have a very competent, balanced headphone.
post #17983 of 18319
Quote:
Originally Posted by retskrad View Post
 

Does anybody have a 31 band equaliser preset for the he-400 to sound more like the he-500? Can equaliser get the he-400 to have natural tonality? 


I do not think so. I tried for hours using EQ curves posted here and doing tone tests to try to balance them out. The best things I did were to get some Jergpads and do the grill mod. The pads went a long ay towards smoothing out the   sibilance range and bringing up the recessed mids a little. The grill mod added to the "air" a bit. Female voices have lost the hard edges, to a point. The vast majority of the objectionable sibilance is now gone. You can make them better, but natural... probably not.

The HE400 has its own signature. It is great for some things, but even with all of the work I did, I have never gotten them to have "natural tonality". Electronic music can be impressive. As soon as I hear a voice or acoustic instrument, it is not natural sounding. This is especially true comparing them to the 400i or HD 600, or HP50, they always sound somehow "synthetic" to me. That is with direct comparison BTW.

 

Lots of people love these things. In many ways I do too. I simply cannot label them as being natural.

post #17984 of 18319
Hey guys, Modular still sell the pads?
post #17985 of 18319
khttp://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x6isiDsiMHQ
Do you guys agree with the sound part?
Edited by zunehdrocks - 9/1/14 at 5:22pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**