- 502 Posts. Joined 12/2010
- Location: French Riviera
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Fist of all, this is my first ever review,and English is not my native language, so please, have some understanding . I bought these headphones 9 months ago, they were my first "quality"...
Hi All, I have done a video review of Hifiman HM901. Thanks for watching :)
You can pay more for a dac alone and not do as well as the 105. You can buy a blue ray player for more and not do as well. Ditto for cd, sacd, and/or DVD players. Its audio preamps are as good as...
The 2014 Brainwavz S5: A Single Dynamic Driver IEM Specifications Found here: www.yourbrainwavz.com/s5.html No measurements for the S5 were available at the time of this...
SO, lets get on to it. The MTPC's are a pair of IEM's that are in a very akward position. It is quite pricy and rejected by the "purist audiophiles" that dislike the brand of Monster, due to...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1197
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I haven't checked this thread in a million years, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried the HE-400 with:
Shure 1540 alcantara pads (they seem popular for the HE-4)
Focus pads (saw the impressions like 10 pages ago, would like more impressions with non-EQ.)
Focus A pads
I think these impressions would be a great help, considering the great prices on the HE400 nowadays. I'll try and search back a few weeks for comparisons. I'm a two time owner of the HE-400, and used them 99% of the time with velours. I know it's strengths and weaknesses quite well, so I'm hoping to see if the newer pads have done anything in the way of reducing the treble.
I had many of the focuspads impressions, and I do not use EQ. I would highly recommend the focuspads. Comfort, better imaging (especially front and back), taming of the tizzy treble, more present mids (noticable in voices, guitars, other string instruments) etc. Really a big upgrade in my opinion. I have not tried the other pads, unfortunately. Best of luck to you :)
If I ever find myself getting the 400 again, I'll definitely be looking into these pads.
The way I read the 400i thread so far is... 400 has kick-ass audiophile bass and 400i is more a RELATIVELY nuanced and just a bit understated audiophile bass to the 400's kick.
I just wonder if the 400i will EQ to give the best of both cans....
Edited by Lohb - 8/27/14 at 11:24pm
Ive been playing with EQ on the he-400i and honestly I still prefer the he-400. EQing just makes the bass louder. HE-400 bass is harder hitting, has better slam, more body. I'm trying to really hard to like the he-400i but the bass just isn't doing it for me.
I cannot agree with that HE-400 would have the best clarity in that price range. At least if we are talking "apparent" clarity partially produced by emphasized treble, there are several headphones that are better, for example DT-880 and K712. Instrument separation is harder to judge from my memory, I'd say both the HE-400 and K712 are good in that regard, can't say which is better.
Soundstage is pretty much equal between Q701 and K712. Haven't heard AD700.
I haven't heard the K712 but I owned the Q701 for a while. IMO, the HE-400 has much better instrument separation, more 3D.
I actually disagree with the majority here, I find the bass on the 400i not far behind at all in terms of slam, and the texture is so pronounced that I actually pick up on the bass in the track better
So, I'm guessing the quality of the bass on the 400i is better, but the 400 is still one of the best open basshead cans there is, and yeah I know there isn't a true open basshead can, but its about as close as we can get.
H-400 vs. AKG K712
Preface: You could love either one of these..both are really good. Its more apples and oranges here based on preference. These are stock versions of both. Both are brand new out of the box.
Call this a very unscientific review and please feel free to bash me. I broke a bunch of rules here... I did not have time to burn in the headphones... I am using 1 amp that is 10 years old (Musical Fidelity X-Can v2) and an amp I just got yesterday with only 4 hours on it (Schiit Asgard 2.. which I now have properly working and will be keeping although its really running hot!)
Playing all downloaded movies and 2 songs from outofyourhead.net (songs were Money by Pink Floyd and Hotel California, Eagles.)
Total listening time: 11 hours
Amps: The MF X-Can v2 was simply better, played louder and tighter, made both sound better. Made the HE-400 sound better than it made the AKG but both were better. Could be the Schiit needs more time to break in.
So I took a different approach... I just listened to different material..did an A-B comparison and wrote down my emotion, or an adjective or just a thought. Like I said, very unscientific....
Controlled bass not muddy
Not as deep bass as 400
Voices sometimes sounded like in a closet
Less fatiguing at higher volumes
Sometimes scientific sounding, sometimes a little hollow but getting better over time.
Deeper bass but muddy sounding sometimes
Voices more in foreground, but not as clear
Bass is overwhelming mids and maybe highs..distracting
Mids can be muddy (maybe because of overwhelming bass?)
Subdued .. melo sounding compared to K712
Sounded like a veil over some sections vs. K712
Warmer overall sound.
Not as balanced.
"Attacking" personality: dynamic
For me, my choice is the K712 for how I am using it... its more balanced. It took me a long while to decide this..I really wanted to like the 400.... Not sure if Focuspads would solve some of the issues above for the 400?
Unfortunately, the HE-4 did not show up today! Ughhhhh. I am wondering if the HE-4 might be something in the middle which might be what I am looking for.
My thoughts so far..still listening.....
I've been playing elite dangerous with my he400s, using my ican nano amp for the last week. I didn't think these would have sufficient bass to be a gamers headphone. But was I wrong, it was a little too much sometimes...and I'm a big bass head. It's really detailed and immersive when you got vr on. EXTREMELY satisfying thud when you blow up a ship, or your own blows up.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Nordost Heimdall headphone cable 31 seconds ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 45 seconds ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 47 seconds ago
- › Comparison between ATH M50 and Sennheiser HD558 please 48 seconds ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR 1 minute ago
- › [NEW] FiiO E11K Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early... 1 minute ago
- › Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › (RESERVED)Sony NW ZX1 Japanese Model 2 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 2 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 2 minutes ago
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by NA Blur
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 350p Portable Headphones Brand New Black Free... by twister6
- › Sony MDR-CD 780 by mark235
- › EarSonics EM32 by Rollk2
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)