Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1195

post #17911 of 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by coletrain104 View Post
 

I think an amp alone wouldn't be enough to turn treble spike into "smooth". However, I feel like the combination of Focuspads and a tube amp or hybrid amp would go a long way (I feel that the Focuspads help the treble the most) My setup is HE-400 + Focuspads+ Schiit Vali and Modi. I'm not pushing the Vali, and I would guess that many other tubes or hybrids would drive it to meet your standards even better, though likely also at a higher price.

How is sound-stage with this particular setup you are having.Also if you had any other to compare with , it will be great.

post #17912 of 18083

I don't have another setup to compare it to, sorry. Soundstage is decent, angled pads really make the music seem like it is coming from in front of you, so soundstage width is kinda out in front, and imaging is good. I could compare it to having heard the HD650 off of a Dragonfly 1.2 and say that my setup has about equal width, greater height, and greater depth. I can also say that the soundstage is only a bit smaller than the 400i on the same setup. Really what got me was the change in sound sig. I think the Vali may shrink the stage a bit, and the Modi brings it back out. Other members probably have more experience with the amps and may be able to help you more, but my advice is to get the focuspads. I tried going back to the velours and took them off within 10 mins. comfort + sound sig changes with focuspads is really awesome

post #17913 of 18083

bump

post #17914 of 18083

I'm really considering the HE-400's, but here is my question. These will primarily be gaming headphones, and I will have them plugged into the Sound Blaster Z card on my PC. Do these headphones work well with the Z? Also:  my primary considerations are imaging, soundstage and bass which I know the 400's deliver in spades, but do you think it's overkill for gaming?

 

 

J

post #17915 of 18083
He 400's are not bass heavy, they have nice bass
For gaming it's fine but there is no sonic isolation
post #17916 of 18083

I purchased the HE-400.... I watch 90% movies.  I am going from DirectTV or Laptop via SPIDF  or USB to a RECON 3D (which does the 5.1/7.1 Surround processing).  RECON 3D to HE-400.  ***But I want to add an amp in between the RECON3D and the HE-400

 

I would assume I would not use a DAC right? (since the RECON unit is already doing the D to A conversion?) and just need to get an amp?

 

I've been looking at Schit Magni or Vali  but never heard any amps at all.. suggestions for amps with movie watching?

I also don't need a portable amp.  A non portable amp is fine.  I was able to get ahold of a Musical Fidelity X-Can 2 v2 yesterday to try out.  Its a Class A tube amp.  I am using the original tubes, non modified.  Compared to going directly from the Recon 3D, its obviously a huge jump up.  The treble highs are not as harsh any more..more smooth.  And I got a lot more bass.  I find it interesting that I can turn this unit up and although there is some increase in db output, the HE-400's seem to be taking a lot more in and not outputting as much volume. (Compared to other headphones you hook up to this unit).  Which is OK, there is really no reason to jack it up...its plenty loud!  I'm not sure this is the best amp for watching movies though.

post #17917 of 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TontonJoK View Post

He 400's are not bass heavy, they have nice bass
For gaming it's fine but there is no sonic isolation


Is sonic isolation that important then? Do you have any recommendations? I've considered all these other cans:  Audio Technica ATH-AD900X, NVX Audio XPT100, KRK KNS6400, AKG K612PRO, Audio-Technica ATH-M50S, Sennheiser HD 558, and the KAM HP1. Some are open, some are closed.

 

My budget is $200 and under, and I got a deal where I could get the 400's for $200, which is why I was considering them. Any advice is welcome, my big considerations are imaging, soundstage and bass, primarily for gaming. I'm not a basshead though.

 

J

post #17918 of 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJames99 View Post

 

I would assume I would not use a DAC right? (since the RECON unit is already doing the D to A conversion?) and just need to get an amp?

 

I've been looking at Schit Magni or Vali  but never heard any amps at all.. suggestions for amps with movie watching?

Yep, just the amp. IDK what makes something sound better for movies or not... are you looking for more theatric bass? Clearer mids? Less fatiguing sound? More volume (be careful!) You won't mess up with a Schiit amp. What didn't you like about the one you tried for movies?

post #17919 of 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonite View Post
 


Is sonic isolation that important then? Do you have any recommendations? I've considered all these other cans:  Audio Technica ATH-AD900X, NVX Audio XPT100, KRK KNS6400, AKG K612PRO, Audio-Technica ATH-M50S, Sennheiser HD 558, and the KAM HP1. Some are open, some are closed.

 

My budget is $200 and under, and I got a deal where I could get the 400's for $200, which is why I was considering them. Any advice is welcome, my big considerations are imaging, soundstage and bass, primarily for gaming. I'm not a basshead though.

 

J

I think a lot of people here would say AKG Q701 would do a good job with gaming (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I believe there are open box deals for $170. Check Amazon


Edited by coletrain104 - 8/21/14 at 9:12pm
post #17920 of 18083
I use my He 400 for gaming, and I really like it, before I was using some sennheiser 595, being lighter the comfort was better but
I still prefer the Hifiman anyway : better sound, bass

For the price you can get the HE 400 it's really hard to beat
200 $ is an awesome price, get it and enjoy !!!

It's right the Hifiman is leaking sound and you hear what's happening around you but for the rest it's so perfect wink.gif
Edited by TontonJoK - 8/22/14 at 12:34am
post #17921 of 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJames99 View Post

I purchased the HE-400.... I watch 90% movies.  I am going from DirectTV or Laptop via SPIDF  or USB to a RECON 3D (which does the 5.1/7.1 Surround processing).  RECON 3D to HE-400.  ***But I want to add an amp in between the RECON3D and the HE-400



 



I would assume I would not use a DAC right? (since the RECON unit is already doing the D to A conversion?) and just need to get an amp?



 



I've been looking at Schit Magni or Vali  but never heard any amps at all.. suggestions for amps with movie watching?



I also don't need a portable amp.  A non portable amp is fine.  I was able to get ahold of a Musical Fidelity X-Can 2 v2 yesterday to try out.  Its a Class A tube amp.  I am using the original tubes, non modified.  Compared to going directly from the Recon 3D, its obviously a huge jump up.  The treble highs are not as harsh any more..more smooth.  And I got a lot more bass.  I find it interesting that I can turn this unit up and although there is some increase in db output, the HE-400's seem to be taking a lot more in and not outputting as much volume. (Compared to other headphones you hook up to this unit).  Which is OK, there is really no reason to jack it up...its plenty loud!  I'm not sure this is the best amp for watching movies though.




The Musical Fidelity X-Can 2 v2 should be a very nice amp to pair with HE 400's, in my V3 the stock tubes was from Phillips the 6922 and I was really satisfied with the result.
post #17922 of 18083


Its interesting.. with the Musical Fideilty X-Can v2 I have....I seem to be turning it up from 11 to 5oclock..all the way up without much increase in output.

I'm looking for an amp that has a good amount of power for the lows and can tame the highs some and strong output.. because the highs can get "tinny" or screetch sometimes.  I tested it against the Kef M500 last night.  The Kef is much easier to drive and I have to change volume output to 60% on my laptop vs. 100% with the HE-400 unit  (Using Razer Surround program I downloaded to simulate surround).  Using my Musical Fidelity it was more like 40% output on the Kef vs. 80% output on the HE-400 (using RECON3D for surround).  The result was obvious....  When I used numerous tests from Dolby, tests from youtube, that were a wide variety of tests from different manufacturers),  the HE-400 had a much larger soundstage and depth.  For example, on the helicopter going around your head:

 

Kef sounded like the helicopter was literally a foot from you going around your head, except the rear pan.. that sounded like rear right, then it hit my head, then rear left.

HE-400: Sounded like helicopter was maybe 10-15 feet all the way around me.  The rear pan was much more realistic..not perfect.. there was a small hole right behind me, but much better.

 

The Kef is a much different design.  Both sound great on music, but I am using these for movie watching only

post #17923 of 18083

My older Audio-gd NFB-12 (now NFB-15) drives these very well and I don't hear the sharp highs others mention. 50% volume is about max I can tolerate and lows are tight and deep.

post #17924 of 18083

Thanks for the responses. Does anything think there will be a problem using the 400's with a Sound Blaster Z card?

 

 

J

post #17925 of 18083
Well how is the he400against akg k712 pro.... Any one owning both...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**