Are the 560 pads angled?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
I'm not much of a audiophile nor a reviewer just a regular audio enthusiast.. Apologies & correct me if I'm wrong.. Absolutely "StUnNeD" by these gems thought of sharing my...
Right have the pleasure of owning these for about 4 months. My Kit: Source: Foobar through Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Amp: Lehman Audio Blackcube Linear Headphones: Audio Technica ATH W...
I read several (a lot of) opinions about these headphones here on head-fi and also in other web forums. To be honest, after that i was pretty unsure about them. Nevertheless i ordered them, as...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1169
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I was thinking about building a set of replacement cables for my HE-400s. Where do you guys buy your parts and bulk cable from?
I'm looking for something that would sound neutral to slightly on the detailed side on the top end. I haven't decided if I should do high purity copper, or silver plated. My cable would only need to be about 4 ft long. I was hoping to stay close to $100 or maybe a little more for the parts cost.
I'm going to make some cables for my HE-400s as well. I've done a lot of searching around and I'm going to order parts from doublehelixcables.com. They have everything I'm looking for including the Hifiman connectors. Their cable is very expensive though, that's the only thing I'll order from elsewhere. There are ebay sellers that offer like cable, most in china, for a much lower price.
I'm borrowing some HE-400's from member Saoshyant and thought I'd share my most edgy and brief comments.
Jazz does indeed sound great, cymbals have stick sound and a smokey sparkle, and once you've heard acoustic bass on a can that reaches all the way down (like non-Fazor LCD-2.2's)... you'll be a really happy dude.
They're more neutral than expected, only snare drums seem to be obviously sucked out, which is disappointing as a drummer, but you may not really even notice if you're used to a more v-shaped sound. Jazz doesn't need strong snare hits, so you wouldn't know.
For EDM or such bassy musics, I find the bass to be full, pretty deep, but plasticy and ploppy in sound. Thankfully, the speed of these cans esp. in upper mids + low bass makes them quite exciting.
I find treble to not be spikey (I do find HD700's to be)... but dark and a little loose/grainy right before where it drops off (cymbal shimmer).
I'll post more when I get the chance. I will also add as a final note, for current prices, I'd go for the NAD HP50 due to spectacular performance with jazz + EDM as well as being more natural for more genres.
LOL, best negative description of 400 bass yet ?
You can pick up HP50 direct from China for buttons, but the headband 'VISO' brand is slightly off center. They are B grade but real stock on taobao via taobao agents that buy for you and ship to you.
Does anyone have experience with the dt-770 250 pros and the HE-400s? I currently have the 770s and am looking for another pair of headphones.
I enjoy the bass of the 770s so am looking for something similar as far as bass quantity and extension. If I wanted anything else from the low end it would be tightness and more impact.
Mids I'd like to be neutral.
I like the crisp highs on the 770s but do have them EQed down ever so slightly as they can be a bit sibilant on some songs. This is the main reason I didnt get the 990s. Reviews give me the impression that they'd make me tear my ear drums out.
Are the HE-400s for me or should I continue my search?
Edited by Breaker - 7/2/14 at 10:15pm
I owned dt770 80ohm and he-400 at the same time. He-400 has less bass quantity, but better quality. They both extend really low without dips. High's are way hotter on the he-400, to the point i find them really uncomfortable. Dt990 was unbearable for me. I dont have experience with the 250ohm dt770, but supposedly 80ohm version has rolled off treble and more bass compared to 250ohm. Not sure though, based on my readings alone. I preferred dt770/80 over he-400 for sure, part of because im a basshead and they were more to my likings for gaming and random movies when im alone. Music alone, he-400 was clearly superior in almost every way, only con i could think of was hot treble, but it got better with the jergpad mod. Still had to eq a little.
Yea from what I remember the 80s had a bit more bass quantity while the 250s had more sparkle in the highs. I actually had to EQ them a bit which is why I figured I couldn't handle the highs on the 990s.
Yea I love me some bass but I've kind of given up on it. Felt like I was chasing a pair of headphones that just don't exist.There is always some trade off whether it be a characteristic of the bass itself or something else in a different frequency range. I just get my dose of bass from my speakers now. I've toned down my expectations in the bass department, just want it to dig deep and have some impact while staying clean and tight. I don't expect anything thunderous.
I'm waiting to see reviews of the he-400s with the new hybrid pads that are on HiFi now.
How was the impact of the bass on the 400s. The 770 has good bass quantity but I feel like it lacks a bit of punch.
Edited by Breaker - 7/2/14 at 11:57pm
To my ears they were both kind of slow and wet in the lows. He-400 bass was tighter and more textured, bass was punchier on the 770's. he-400 seemed to integrate bass to the music much better, while somehow dt770 bass felt "subwoofery", like i had 2.1 system on my head. I suppose its sub bass emphasis and lack of mid bass boost on the 770 that made it feel like that. Even without mid bass hump bass felt punchier to me compared to he-400. but thats also the reason i like 770's so much, i love sub bass so much while im almost allergic to mid bass boost.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › In ear monitor diffuser? 43 seconds ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 44 seconds ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 2 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 5 minutes ago
- › ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › ***NEW*** RHA (Reid Heath Acoustics) T10i IEM to debut at IFA 2014 6 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › M-Audio BX5 D2 by krishtrinity1
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)