Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1167

post #17491 of 18136

To me the velours tend to recess vocals. I also prefer the pleathers.

post #17492 of 18136

That shouldn't be the case.  We have objective evidence that the velours raise everything 2khz and above by a couple db.

post #17493 of 18136
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmassy View Post

I've just replaced the velour pads with the stock pleather, and to be honest I prefer the pleather ones.
The HE400s probably dont sound as engaging as with the velour but I find their timbre more accurate. The presentation is also a bit more distant and relaxed, which I don't mind at all. Ah, they are also more comfortable! Am I the only one preferring the pleather?

agree with you at this point. I don't like the velour pad at all.

post #17494 of 18136

Will tell my ears that... Seriously, it's been a while since I bought the available velours from Head Direct but they seemed to take a bit of the life out of my new at the time HE-400s.

post #17495 of 18136

To me, the velours may have increased the volume of vocals, but they seem further back in the mix, since I felt like the vocals were better separated with the pleathers with the foam spacers (even though they had this weird effect that made them sound like they were singing in a cave). without the spacers, I agree, the vocals are more forward with the velours

post #17496 of 18136
Quote:
Originally Posted by coletrain104 View Post

To me, the velours may have increased the volume of vocals, but they seem further back in the mix, since I felt like the vocals were better separated with the pleathers with the foam spacers (even though they had this weird effect that made them sound like they were singing in a cave). without the spacers, I agree, the vocals are more forward with the velours
It's a totally different experience from my compairison between the two with same equipment setting to the same volume. Even though the voleur pad makes the sound feel more airy, the vocal is recessed and far back for voleur.
In addition, the pleather is a lot more comfortable since in my opinion, the velour is hard and has a bad seal.
Edited by gahung - 6/28/14 at 1:51pm
post #17497 of 18136

Ordered the HE-560 hybrid pads, hope they don't just end up attracting dust like the velours.

post #17498 of 18136

I was thinking about building a set of replacement cables for my HE-400s. Where do you guys buy your parts and bulk cable from?

 

I'm looking for something that would sound neutral to slightly on the detailed side on the top end. I haven't decided if I should do high purity copper, or silver plated. My cable would only need to be about 4 ft long. I was hoping to stay close to $100 or maybe a little more for the parts cost.

 

Thanks,

crazychile

post #17499 of 18136
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahung View Post


It's a totally different experience from my compairison between the two with same equipment setting to the same volume. Even though the voleur pad makes the sound feel more airy, the vocal is recessed and far back for voleur.
In addition, the pleather is a lot more comfortable since in my opinion, the velour is hard and has a bad seal.

Pleather with or without the foam inserts? very important detail, in my opinion

post #17500 of 18136
Quote:
Originally Posted by coletrain104 View Post
 

Pleather with or without the foam inserts? very important detail, in my opinion

Just the stock one without any modification

post #17501 of 18136

Stock pleathers with the spacers are pretty horrible.

post #17502 of 18136
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

Stock pleathers with the spacers are pretty horrible.

better than velour IMO

post #17503 of 18136

They are if you like listening to mud.  I really don't know what to say if you prefer the stock pleathers, those spacers do a nasty to the sound.  At the end of the day if those are what sound best to you though, then that's what you should rock out with.

post #17504 of 18136

Have refitted the velours and have to admit I'm not hating them. Before that I removed the pleather spacers and it seemed somehow to collapse the sound or at least remove some element of dimensionality. Could be that echo effect that was mentioned but ended up putting them back in to the now removed cups, muddiness inducing or not. One thing I did notice is the rings are a small amount too big and as a result some minor creasing of them occurs in each cup to make them fit.

 

Anyway, will probably stick with the velour until the hybrids arrive -- I know, so fickle...

post #17505 of 18136
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCInc View Post
 

Ordered the HE-560 hybrid pads, hope they don't just end up attracting dust like the velours.

 

Are they for sale now?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**