or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1156

post #17326 of 21617
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard51 View Post
 


Frankly i bought the two used ( the Ember and the Bushmaster)... I thinks that its certainly possible to have better than this pairs but with a most higher price.... I run the bushmaster mkII with ankaka battery.... The sound is detailed.... and the coated silver cable for the he 500 attached to my He 400 is marvellous with details all across the spectrum... and no more agressive high frequencies.....My next and last move move will be the he 560 in the next two years...I want to have the best for the minimum price... Its not for me to pay big money for only  minimal improvement....Simple note: before the Ember and the bushmaster i was not totally satisfied with the he 400 ,now i am pleased and i will wait two years before any upgrade....


Nice, about to get the Anker battery myself and maybe build a Bottlehead Quickie pre-amp focused on getting a better sound with planars.

I was skeptical about a battery improving the Bushmaster Mk2 DAC but will give it a try. It's good to hear the tube in the chain is smoothing out the highs on brighter planars.


Edited by Lohb - 5/23/14 at 6:22am
post #17327 of 21617
Thread Starter 

It's probably prudent to wait a while on the he560. New products sometimes take a while to get right. I'm hoping that they get it right on the first try, as I put down my money on the pre-order. 

 

I'm a bang for the buck person also. The he400 represented some of the best bang for the buck in the game for a long time...and to an appreciable degree, it still does. 

 

Right now my bang for the buck is the hd650 with the Crack amp. It makes seriously beautiful music for about $700 for the pair. 

post #17328 of 21617
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

It's probably prudent to wait a while on the he560. New products sometimes take a while to get right. I'm hoping that they get it right on the first try, as I put down my money on the pre-order. 

 

I'm a bang for the buck person also. The he400 represented some of the best bang for the buck in the game for a long time...and to an appreciable degree, it still does. 

 

Right now my bang for the buck is the hd650 with the Crack amp. It makes seriously beautiful music for about $700 for the pair. 


i understand your perfectly and i will wait 2 years before pruchasing the he 560 or the he 400i...... with the right set up the he 400 is one of the best deal especially now....

post #17329 of 21617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohb View Post
 


Nice, about to get the Anker battery myself and maybe build a Bottelhead Quickie focused on getting a better sound with planars.

I was skeptical about a battery improving the Bushmaster Mk2 DAC but will give it a try. It's good to hear the tube in the chain is smoothing out the highs on brighter planars.


the great advantage of the bushmaster is  the absence of noise ... Your hear it especially with batteries....I am convinced now that its a very good dac for the price... and the pairing with the he 400 is very good for my ears.... the in built amp is also very good.... But the ember has more power and its an upgrade for the dynamics....My last surprising upgrade : i have bought the silver coated cable , the stock cable of the he 500, and with the he 400 the details and transparency are better all across the spectrum for my ears... I have pay 30 dollars used , a bargain ...But pay attention if you have problem with the high frequency "tizz" of the he 400, this cable will make it worse.... But If you have the right set up for the he 400 this cable is a marvel versus the stock canare cable of the he 400 ...

post #17330 of 21617
Thread Starter 

I used to think batteries powered gear was weird. But now I've tried the battery powered "Quickie" pre-amp with the Crack and have been amazed at the performance. 

post #17331 of 21617
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

I used to think batteries powered gear was weird. But now I've tried the battery powered "Quickie" pre-amp with the Crack and have been amazed at the performance. 


I'm currently working on getting all my gear battery isolated from mains.... DAC/Pre/Amp. Whatever it takes to get more of that lush planar sound....:beerchug:

post #17332 of 21617

Dear all,

 

Could you please tell me how well does HE-400 perform with classical music? (Mainly large orchestral works of Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Bruckner, Shostakovich, etc.)

 

I have seen the FR graphs and heard many favourable reviews about its superbly-extended bass and flat mids, however, I am concerned about the 5dB peak at 0.7 - 1.5kHz.

 


                                       Modified HE-400 FR graph from innerfidelity.com

 

I am not a fan of treble boost (i.e. I hate it), however, the peak of HE-400 is not really in treble region..

 

Won't those cans feel fatiguing when listening to music filled with brass instruments (especially trumpets) and female opera vocal?

 

 

Thank you in advance.

post #17333 of 21617

The HE-400 has quite a bit of energy in the upper treble region of 10-14khz.  It can get very problematic for a lot of pop and hot recordings and vocals, bit's it's not a huge deal at all for classical/orchestral.  The small 1khz hump in the HE-400 doesn't affect its overall sound too much at all.  However the bite of brass instrumetns and female opera might seem a little subdued because it's colored to have a recessed upper midrange/lower treble in the area of 3-5khz.  This makes a lot of orchestral music sound like you're sitting far away in the back rows.

post #17334 of 21617
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

The HE-400 has quite a bit of energy in the upper treble region of 10-14khz.  It can get very problematic for a lot of pop and hot recordings and vocals, bit's it's not a huge deal at all for classical/orchestral.  The small 1khz hump in the HE-400 doesn't affect its overall sound too much at all.  However the bite of brass instrumetns and female opera might seem a little subdued because it's colored to have a recessed upper midrange/lower treble in the area of 3-5khz.  This makes a lot of orchestral music sound like you're sitting far away in the back rows.

 

this...

post #17335 of 21617

TMRaven,

 

Thank you for your answer.

To be honest, I have no experience with headphones having recessed treble, I usually had the contrary problems.

It is pleasant to know the 1kHz peak does not affect the sound of HE-400 badly.

 

So, would you personally rate them as good headphones for classical? Or headphones like HE-300, HD600 or HD650 will be a better choice for that type of music?

post #17336 of 21617

Instrumental and orchestral is one of my favorite genres for HE-400, that's just me though.

post #17337 of 21617
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by U6astik View Post
 

TMRaven,

 

Thank you for your answer.

To be honest, I have no experience with headphones having recessed treble, I usually had the contrary problems.

It is pleasant to know the 1kHz peak does not affect the sound of HE-400 badly.

 

So, would you personally rate them as good headphones for classical? Or headphones like HE-300, HD600 or HD650 will be a better choice for that type of music?

 

I have had the hd650 for two years and many other hp's. Unless you want to spend large money, the he400 is very good with classical. 

post #17338 of 21617

TMRaven,

 

Thank you.

 

 

 

MattTCG,

 

Thank you for your reply.

 

By talking about spending large amount of money, do you refer to HD6xx?

And, if I get it right, especially to the amplification costs?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It might sound funny, but I intended to connect HD6xx (in case I go for them) to my CDP headphone output (Onkyo agents told me the voltage output of my player is 2V into 600 Ohm).

 

Sorry for being blunt, but have you heard HE-400 with classical music yourself or it is an opinion of other people?

post #17339 of 21617
Thread Starter 

^^ I owned the he400 for two years. While I would not say that classical is my primary genre, I do enjoy it quite a bit.  I usually listen to the Brahms Symphonies, Ann Akkiko Myers, YoYo Ma, Haydn and others. 

 

The only hp that I owned personally or auditioned that I liked better with classical is the hd800 which was clearly better in every regard. 

post #17340 of 21617

MattTCG,

 

Thank you.

I am happy to know people like the sound of HE-400 with classical music.

 

However, for me personally, it is still difficult to make a decision between HD6xx and HE400.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**