You mean you took off the ear pads and removed the thin acoustic transparent material that covers the planar elements? Aren't you worried you'll damage the drivers? I think that at the very least would void the HiFiMAN warranty. Listening to Blood on the Tracks...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
Design and Comfort S5 is a new higher-end in-ear-monitor from Brainwavz retailing at about US$100. I’m glad Brainwavz has offerings at most price points below $200. It's great that companies such...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1151
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Who are you directing that towards? If it's me, I bought my pair off someone and they didn't include the black cloths in the sale. I just emailed Hifiman about ordering some and the left side blue headband piece that is damaged. Waiting on a response.
I don't know, man. I think I'll let discretion be the better part of valor. I don't see how that mod would improve soundstage. Get an amp with a crossfeed circuit or some software that offers it like JRiver.
It's not like removing grills off of loudspeakers. Your ears are inches away and that fabric is acoustically transparent. One thing I''ve never been able to use and that's ear buds and in-ear devices. I was on a commuter train and I counted 23 people mostly with iPods and those wonderful $5 ear buds that come stock. I put on a pair of Sennheiser PX-100's and people actually complained to the point the conductor told me to turn 'em down or off. HE-400's would give people a stroke they're so loud. I imagine any planar or electrostatic would do the same since basically they're dipoles that send sound in both directions equally. Magnaplanar and electrostatic speakers like Martin Logan's and Magnepan's have to have some serious acoustic treatment employed in their sound rooms. ASC Tube Traps and the like which ain't cheap. You can drop 5 large easily. That's why the vast majority of super high-end loudspeakers like Wilson and Rockport are dynamic. Us headphone users avoid that, but it's really almost impossible to re-create a live performance with headphones, but there are advantages. Like cost, space (you need a dedicated sound room. I had a friend who's wife insisted on placing a flower pot on his Phase Tech. speakers.) .
Hey has anybody heard the $12,000 Sennheiser Electrostatics that came out years ago. With the built in tube DAC?.
My point is relevant, given that I was commenting about a very specific thing you mentioned.. You said you need at least 700mW to get your money's worth with the HE-400. The X3 puts out 270mw at 32ohm, and the HE-400 is more demanding than that. I know I enjoy the HE-400 given this combo, and I seriously doubt I'm the only one either. My point was that I disagree with your assessment of needing 700mW minimum.
Xonar STX drives them well enough and is about 650mw into the HE400, even my sansa clip+ sounds alright with them, the HE400 were designed to be usable with low power.
I have to disagree:
my LG G2, or my Laptop also can drive the HE400 loud enough, the iBasso DX90 also can. But they don't drive these cans with enough authority. Loudness is not everything. Orthos love power, the more they get the better.
He only said they were designed to be USABLE with low power, not that they were optimized for use without an amp. Any headphone should sound better with amplification, but it isn't always necessary.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60 1 minute ago
- › Speakers recommendation - $500 budget 1 minute ago
- › NewOpto KH - 01 headphone portable amp at Fujiya Avic 2014 Show 1 minute ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Ranking of 21 DACs and DAC Configurations (and why chocolate ice... 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 558 for gaming? 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sony Discman D25 and D4 questions re chargers 4 minutes ago
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by kingpage
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)