or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1136

post #17026 of 21668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netforce View Post
 

Looks like the little dot I+ has got a 8ohm output impedance so you won't have clipping but you won't have good dampening factor so the bass will theoretically suffer. Project starlight will be suitable to drive the dt250 250ohm yeah.


Damping factor doesn't make any difference for orthos because they have a completely flat impedance curve. 

I used the Little Dot MK3 with the HE-400 for a while. It was decent, but it clipped at high volumes. I still don't understand why, as it should have enough power on paper. Oh well... It's long gone now. 

I'm considering getting a Vali though. I know there's a few people here who use the combo. 

post #17027 of 21668
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post
 


Damping factor doesn't make any difference for orthos because they have a completely flat impedance curve. 

I used the Little Dot MK3 with the HE-400 for a while. It was decent, but it clipped at high volumes. I still don't understand why, as it should have enough power on paper. Oh well... It's long gone now. 

I'm considering getting a Vali though. I know there's a few people here who use the combo. 


ManBear do you hear a difference with battery power on your chain or is it a case of "better safe than sorry" ?

I have the Ankaka battery from Singapore bookmarked to completely isolate DAC and speaker amp...but not entirely convinced.....

post #17028 of 21668
Little dot mk 3 with tubes rolling
Mullard CV 4010 and 6H30Pi

Cheap and good SQ
post #17029 of 21668
Quote:
Originally Posted by akong View Post

I would also like to know the answer to this question. 
I should be able to answer this question this week. I just ordered a pair of the 400's to try with my Pan Am. While the Pan Am isn't under $250 it is available used for decent prices.
post #17030 of 21668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohb View Post
 


ManBear do you hear a difference with battery power on your chain or is it a case of "better safe than sorry" ?

I have the Ankaka battery from Singapore bookmarked to completely isolate DAC and speaker amp...but not entirely convinced.....


Honestly, I do not hear a difference. I was curious about using a battery so I figured I'd give it a try, and now that I have it I might as well use it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you think something is wrong with your computer's USB power. 

post #17031 of 21668
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post
 


Honestly, I do not hear a difference. I was curious about using a battery so I figured I'd give it a try, and now that I have it I might as well use it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you think something is wrong with your computer's USB power. 


Thanks ! As it adds up to about $260 for 2x Ankaka isolation batteries and it is cash that can go towards more headphones or a better amp....

post #17032 of 21668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohb View Post
 


Thanks ! As it adds up to about $260 for 2x Ankaka isolation batteries and it is cash that can go towards more headphones or a better amp....


Yikes. I spent around $50 total for my battery and splitter cable. 

post #17033 of 21668
just got my he400s today! about an hour in with the magni/modi stack,
so far out of the box it sounds fantastic!! still too early for full impressions though. i really don't hear any veiling like some have said.. could be that they need a hearing test. I've given some of my friends hearing tests with a tone slider and some can't even hear 13khz due to hearing damage.
post #17034 of 21668

I'm having a problem with mine and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

 

I was listening to these and pumped up the volume a bit, and it seemed as if suddenly the right driver went dead. I changed the balance on the computer so all the volume went to the right and noticed it still makes sound, but very faint. If I set the balance to normal, I the left side works fine but I can basically not hear anything from the right.

 

It's not the cable. I have already tried switching sides and nothing changes. The rights side simply stays quiet. Right now I'm running through an O2+ODAC from my computer. If I plug it in directly to the computer, my phone, or my stereo, it still is very quiet just on the right.

 

I bought these used on here and they have been working fine for the first month now, but hopefully they are not broken. If anyone has experienced somethings similar and has a fix I would greatly appreciate it.

post #17035 of 21668

Any definitive comfort solutions for the HE400? I just can't wear them for more than 5min (weight + headband/clamp issues). I've tried Alpha pads but they ruin the sound :( 

post #17036 of 21668

5 mins??? Jeez... I was wearing mine last night for a few hours. After awhile I FINALLY began to NOTICE the clamp, but it wasn't bothersome, I just became aware of it. The weight has not been a factor at all. While I wouldn't call them the most comfortable phones I have ever had on my head, I don't have any comfort issues w/ them at all.

post #17037 of 21668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firminator View Post
 

Any definitive comfort solutions for the HE400? I just can't wear them for more than 5min (weight + headband/clamp issues). I've tried Alpha pads but they ruin the sound :( 


You can start by gently bending the headband. Gently.

 

Then you can try twisting the cups to the angle of your head. Pinch the hifiman logo to the headband, and twist. It is stiff, and the cups are not held on by much, so be careful.

 

Both of those increased comfort for me!

post #17038 of 21668
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubusmybro View Post
 

I'm having a problem with mine and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

 

I was listening to these and pumped up the volume a bit, and it seemed as if suddenly the right driver went dead. I changed the balance on the computer so all the volume went to the right and noticed it still makes sound, but very faint. If I set the balance to normal, I the left side works fine but I can basically not hear anything from the right.

 

It's not the cable. I have already tried switching sides and nothing changes. The rights side simply stays quiet. Right now I'm running through an O2+ODAC from my computer. If I plug it in directly to the computer, my phone, or my stereo, it still is very quiet just on the right.

 

I bought these used on here and they have been working fine for the first month now, but hopefully they are not broken. If anyone has experienced somethings similar and has a fix I would greatly appreciate it.


You say it is not the cables but did you rotate them into opposite connector ? Tried another set of headphones in the same audio chain ?

post #17039 of 21668

Hello guys, I am trying to get a sense of how this headphone plays the low end. I have gone through Mad Dogs v3.2 (balanced and SE) and the AlphaDogs and I am just wondering if they are very similar in the low end or not. FYI, I am  currently using Fidelio X1 which I really like.

 

Thanks for the help.

 

 

Just ran across this:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

The he400 seems to add a touch more bass than the MD, where the Maddog seems to be more linear and true to the recording. Most would appreciate the extra coloration on the he400 as it provides a bit more "fun." 

post #17040 of 21668

I found the HE-400 to have a way stronger low-end than the Mad Dog 3.2.

 

I would actually consider the Mad Dog bass to have more of a non-linaer bass than the HE-400.  Whereas the Mad Dog has some noticeable hump in the 200-300hz region, the HE-400 is more flat there.  The HE-400 is a good bit stronger down low under 50hz and snappier around 100-200hz.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**