- 743 Posts. Joined 10/2013
- Location: Pittsburgh
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
if u are looking for a great dac you can better buy new motherboard with supreme fx it sound practicly the same and its cheaper
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1130
Gear mentioned in this thread:
All cables, especially high end cables need a break in period. Usually 100 hours will do the trick. Try listening to your new cables right out of the box. Then after 100 hours of breaking time, listen the them again. You should definitely hear a huge improvement. I use a mixture of tones and music with fast transients. I use brown and pink noise for one play list and music on the 2nd play list. This is all done using iTunes. However I do not use iTunes for listening pleasure. For that I use Foobar 2000 which is free. J River is supposed to be the best program out there, bit it has a huge amount of features I'll never use. It's also $50. I downloaded and used their free demo. During raw playback, I couldn't hear any difference between the 2. Now if I had $50 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd probably jump on the J River bandwagon as it ha some cool features and it's visually amazing. For now Foobar is fine...
They all look at me like I was crazy. But they all say that breaking in a speaker works because it's a moving part.
I will say the only change I thought I heard was achieved with the non blind test between the canare and the tarnished radioshack cable
Hi, I am about to purchase the HE400 but have a few questions. I am planning to get the amp with it but not sure which one to get. There is the Hifiman ef2a and Schiit Magni and Modi combo. Which of these will be a better value?
Hi, thanks for the reply. What will be the best amp/dac combo under $250 for the he400?
advice is really appreciated!
The objective2/odac was one of my choices too. Didnt find too many reviews of it with he400, so was on the fence about getting it.
IT will be great if you could comment on how it sounds with the he 400 when you get it.
Solid state amps are really great with the he-400. Used to run my pair through a tube amp and distortion was pretty common and sub bass was very rolled off. Running my pair for the last few months through a dragonfly dac v1 and set up sounds quite good. The schiit modi/magni and o2/odac are both great choices, personally prefer the schiit as its lay out is preferable to the objective 2.
The he-400 are the most power hungry cans in my collection and don't really need a strong amp but does benefit from one. Into the near future I will probably be building my own o2 but that is just me.
I have an old review of the O2/ODAC when it was new. I bought it specifically for the HE-400s. I need to edit the review a tad (in it I talk about hiss, which I now know was totally the laptop as source, not the amp).
The change was, Laptop -> O2 ->O2 + ODAC
In short, they make a fine combination. Definitely superior sonic quality compared to the laptop - black background, nice punchy dynamic sound and so on. But I would caution that the audio quality wasn't NIGHT and DAY better, just a clear step up in some ways. The most important aspect was gaining additional power so I could reach the SPL I wanted with the HE-400 under different listening conditions. The ODAC is great, but gave me more buyers remorse as I realized the DAC in my computer sounded more or less the same. But the totally black background of the combo is pretty awesome once you get used to it!
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › WIN Sennheiser HD 800 and a year worth of HDtracks downloads! 2 seconds ago
- › Arizona Head-Fi Meet: October 25th, 2014 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 2 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 2 minutes ago
- › CanJam at RMAF 2014 impressions 3 minutes ago
- › STAX SR-007MK2 with MK1 drivers? 5 minutes ago
- › I Basso HDP R 10 is IBasso DX 100 Japan Version impressions thread 7 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 8 minutes ago
- › Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D by Pokerstar
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)