- 652 Posts. Joined 10/2013
- Location: Pittsburgh
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Hi All, I have done a video review of Hifiman HM901. Thanks for watching :)
The 2014 Brainwavz S5: A Single Dynamic Driver IEM Specifications Found here: www.yourbrainwavz.com/s5.html No measurements for the S5 were available at the time of this...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1130
Gear mentioned in this thread:
All cables, especially high end cables need a break in period. Usually 100 hours will do the trick. Try listening to your new cables right out of the box. Then after 100 hours of breaking time, listen the them again. You should definitely hear a huge improvement. I use a mixture of tones and music with fast transients. I use brown and pink noise for one play list and music on the 2nd play list. This is all done using iTunes. However I do not use iTunes for listening pleasure. For that I use Foobar 2000 which is free. J River is supposed to be the best program out there, bit it has a huge amount of features I'll never use. It's also $50. I downloaded and used their free demo. During raw playback, I couldn't hear any difference between the 2. Now if I had $50 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd probably jump on the J River bandwagon as it ha some cool features and it's visually amazing. For now Foobar is fine...
They all look at me like I was crazy. But they all say that breaking in a speaker works because it's a moving part.
I will say the only change I thought I heard was achieved with the non blind test between the canare and the tarnished radioshack cable
Hi, I am about to purchase the HE400 but have a few questions. I am planning to get the amp with it but not sure which one to get. There is the Hifiman ef2a and Schiit Magni and Modi combo. Which of these will be a better value?
Hi, thanks for the reply. What will be the best amp/dac combo under $250 for the he400?
advice is really appreciated!
The objective2/odac was one of my choices too. Didnt find too many reviews of it with he400, so was on the fence about getting it.
IT will be great if you could comment on how it sounds with the he 400 when you get it.
Solid state amps are really great with the he-400. Used to run my pair through a tube amp and distortion was pretty common and sub bass was very rolled off. Running my pair for the last few months through a dragonfly dac v1 and set up sounds quite good. The schiit modi/magni and o2/odac are both great choices, personally prefer the schiit as its lay out is preferable to the objective 2.
The he-400 are the most power hungry cans in my collection and don't really need a strong amp but does benefit from one. Into the near future I will probably be building my own o2 but that is just me.
I have an old review of the O2/ODAC when it was new. I bought it specifically for the HE-400s. I need to edit the review a tad (in it I talk about hiss, which I now know was totally the laptop as source, not the amp).
The change was, Laptop -> O2 ->O2 + ODAC
In short, they make a fine combination. Definitely superior sonic quality compared to the laptop - black background, nice punchy dynamic sound and so on. But I would caution that the audio quality wasn't NIGHT and DAY better, just a clear step up in some ways. The most important aspect was gaining additional power so I could reach the SPL I wanted with the HE-400 under different listening conditions. The ODAC is great, but gave me more buyers remorse as I realized the DAC in my computer sounded more or less the same. But the totally black background of the combo is pretty awesome once you get used to it!
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Need help choosing a pair of inexpensive IEMs 5 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 15 seconds ago
- › Comparison: HD600, MA900, DT 150 and SRH840 1 minute ago
- › Looking for price/performance portable headphones! 1 minute ago
- › New Cavalli Audio Portable Amp officially in the works 1 minute ago
- › Looking for high quality Headphones + DAC/amp with 400 EURO budget... 2 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 3 minutes ago
- › IC Dual Questyle CMA800R's. 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › beyerdynamic DTX 350 p Portable Headphones by twister6
- › Sony MDR-CD 780 by mark235
- › EarSonics EM32 by Rollk2
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)