Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1129

post #16921 of 18679
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismini View Post

Give them a good 150-200 minutes of break in time. I use the Ayre Acoustics Irrational, But Efficacious disc that has:
1. Short Glide Tone
2. White Noise
3. Pink Noise
4. Brown Noise
5. Mono Brown Noise
6. Out of Phase Brown Noise
7. Full Glide Tone

Brown noise is ideal for breaking in components and cables and the glide tones are for de-magnetizing the entire system. I've found it invaluable for breaking in components and the glide tones used occasionally will clean up residual haze that builds up over time. It's the best $20 I've ever spent. I run all brown noise tracks and the one pink noise track. Also I include a one minute silent track to give the diaphragm a minute to "rest". Also I use Zappa's G-Spot Tornado form the Yellow Shark disc as it has some of the fastest transients I've ever heard. I found this track listing ideal for breaking in headphones and associated cables. You can get the Ayer disc at many on-line dealers or from the Ayer site as well. Just follow the instructions. There are many discs designed for this purpose, but many are quite pricey.
The difference between the HE-400's out of the box and after proper break-in is nothing short of astounding.
^this! I have these sounds I made in logic, but I will def buy the disk! You know your stuff sir!
post #16922 of 18679
I've probably spent $2000 on various break-in discs and I swear, I've had the best results with youtube compilations of fart noises. Gets the residual gunk that's built up over time right out.
post #16923 of 18679
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post

I've probably spent $2000 on various break-in discs and I swear, I've had the best results with youtube compilations of fart noises. Gets the residual gunk that's built up over time right out.

You are a ******** genius. One of the best trolling techniques I've seen yet. Well done, sir, well done.  

post #16924 of 18679

I must admit this is a unique idea I've never heard of before. Perhaps you should put together a compilation and market it. I wonder what would be an appropriate title? Flatulence improvement disc perhaps. With all the crazy tweaks out there, it might just work!

post #16925 of 18679

Audio Advisor among others carry it.

post #16926 of 18679
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismini View Post
 

I must admit this is a unique idea I've never heard of before. Perhaps you should put together a compilation and market it. I wonder what would be an appropriate title? Flatulence improvement disc perhaps. With all the crazy tweaks out there, it might just work!


Haha, I'm sure some people would buy it if the price were exclusive enough. Just need a little pseudo-scientific marketing schpiel. How about this: we've solicited only the finest biological specimens, whose rectal cavities create resonances optimized to loosen your speaker diaphragms, as verified by our innovative, big-data computer models. 


Edited by manbear - 4/8/14 at 8:09pm
post #16927 of 18679

It would be the same audiophile trap that surrounds most tweaks: if it's really expensive, it must work.

post #16928 of 18679

Break-in Discs are a waste. I downloaded a 1-Terabyte loop cleaning file to break in my headphones. Only cost me $100 for the HDD, and $350 for the break-in WAV file.

 

FYI you should run the break-in for about 3-5 years or until the warranty period is up before first listening. When new the HE-400 were good, but after I broke them in it was all:

 

 

O  M  G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #16929 of 18679
I usually break in the drivers with a 6$ rubber mallet until I get all the kinks worked out, takes about 2 seconds opposed to the 200 hours
post #16930 of 18679

Sent the payment for me HE-400's today, they are my first real set of cans! Will be picking up a O2/ODAC to drive them as I don't have an amp or dac yet.

 

Very much looking forward to this setup!

post #16931 of 18679

congratulations!!! I got mine earlier this week and am simply loving them! :beyersmile:

post #16932 of 18679

Well, I have to admit it, the jergpad mod is all that and a bag of chips. I received a set of jergpads this afternoon and I'm giving this mod a good listen as I type this. So far I'm impressed, a very nice bump in audio quality in the right direction. Thanks guys, the info I've gleamed from this impressions thread was very handy.

 

Now can anyone here point me to info on the HE-400 grill mod???????

post #16933 of 18679
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

 

Now can anyone here point me to info on the HE-400 grill mod???????


http://www.head-fi.org/t/619447/hifiman-regrilling-mod

Before you go to the trouble of making new grills, try taking off the stock grills and listening with no grills at all. I have to admit, when I did this I heard no real difference. Maybe a tiny something, but I assumed it was placebo. I know some people like this mod so YMMV.

To me, it doesn't seem worth exposing the drivers to dust. I know the dust doesn't really hurt, but it just bothers me lol

post #16934 of 18679

I'm sorry, but your post is completely ridiculous. You spent $450 for break in tones? That's $150 more than the HE-400 headphones cost!! I've been using the Ayre disc ($20) for years and I've found it to be invaluable. I've used it to break in everything from B&W Nautilus 802's ($7000) to $80 portable headphones. Break in headphones for 3 to 5 years? Only a lunatic would do that! The manual states 150 hours of break in time. Right now I'm breaking in a new custom cable. l'm  almost done and the break in procedure will be completely done.

post #16935 of 18679
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismini View Post
 

I'm sorry, but your post is completely ridiculous. You spent $450 for break in tones? That's $150 more than the HE-400 headphones cost!! I've been using the Ayre disc ($20) for years and I've found it to be invaluable. I've used it to break in everything from B&W Nautilus 802's ($7000) to $80 portable headphones. Break in headphones for 3 to 5 years? Only a lunatic would do that! The manual states 150 hours of break in time. Right now I'm breaking in a new custom cable. l'm  almost done and the break in procedure will be completely done.

 

Yes, his post is completely ridiculous, as I'm assuming it was intended.  Sadly, sarcasm never really works as well in text.  There almost always seems to be a misunderstanding.  Never thought about breaking in a new cable though.  Is that actually a thing?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**