Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1094

post #16396 of 19813

I switch back to the pleather to see just how much different they sound compared to the velours and its like night and day to me. The pleather sounds so much more hollow and the bass has a more mid-bass to it which I don't like. Before I got these I never thought that different ear pads would make that much of a sound change.

post #16397 of 19813

^^^ Same.

 

That is why modding the pleather is also so great - they really have an overall sort of "warm" response with nothing but the spacers taken out a and a bunch of holes cut in them. The still have some resonanace / harshness this way, but it is cut rather drastically.

 

That said, I've still been preaching the velours. They are the best all around and easiest to just put on and enjoy.

post #16398 of 19813
The HFM velour pads are so stiff. The pleathers/jerpads are so much more comfortable.
post #16399 of 19813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Warudo View Post

The HFM velour pads are so stiff. The pleathers/jerpads are so much more comfortable.

Yeah, thats why I went with the Beyerdynamic pads.

post #16400 of 19813

can someone post Foobar EQ curve to combat the treble please  

post #16401 of 19813

For any of you considering the Emotiva mini-X a-100 to drive your HE-400's, I thought you might like to see this:

 

My finished Emotiva mini-X a-100:

 

 

You can read my DIY thread on this build here: LINK

post #16402 of 19813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
 

For any of you considering the Emotiva mini-X a-100 to drive your HE-400's, I thought you might like to see this:

 

My finished Emotiva mini-X a-100:

 

 

You can read my DIY thread on this build here: LINK

Can we get a pic of it on with the blue LED?

post #16403 of 19813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 

Can we get a pic of it on with the blue LED?


Coming. My Woo Audio headphone stand will be here next week and Im going to take a pic with the HE-500 on the stand on top of the amp powered on. Just have to wait till next week for it. But I figured since there is probably a huge influx of people getting their mini-X a-100 amps from the big Emotiva sale this week, I should get the thread and DIY up now.

post #16404 of 19813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
 


Coming. My Woo Audio headphone stand will be here next week and Im going to take a pic with the HE-500 on the stand on top of the amp powered on. Just have to wait till next week for it. But I figured since there is probably a huge influx of people getting their mini-X a-100 amps from the big Emotiva sale this week, I should get the thread and DIY up now.


Should take a pic of it with the LED before then. PLS?!?! :D

post #16405 of 19813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzerz View Post
 


Should take a pic of it with the LED before then. PLS?!?! :D


When I get home tonight Ill try and remember.

post #16406 of 19813
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

I've since reworked my iTunes balanced EQ to (sorta) match the Olive-Welti target curve.  It definitely does 'lift' the HE-400 out of its laxness, in a sense-- and without adding too much tinny quality that's associated with too much 2khz (*cough* re-400 *cough*)  The only downside to this is the transition from 2-4 and then 4-8khz isn't as smooth as it could be.

 

 

 

Edit: btw the HE-400 aren't too resonant at all.  Have a look at Purrin's CSDs.  About the only thing they really display is a characteristic 'ortho wall' In the upper mids.

 

That's just about exactly the same as how I EQ mine. Sometimes I'll boost the bass up 3 or 4dB when I'm feeling my basshead side but other than that yours is pretty much spot on to what mine looks like.

post #16407 of 19813

Got my velour pads today!

 

 

I remember some users have reported that bass improves, but to me though the bass isn't any different.

post #16408 of 19813
Thread Starter 

I wouldn't say that the velours improve the bass. Maybe a little tighter. Not that the bass needs any improvement. :wink:

post #16409 of 19813
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrolover View Post
 

Got my velour pads today!

 

 

I remember some users have reported that bass improves, but to me though the bass isn't any different.

 

They did absolutely nothing to the bass to me.  The thing they did improve on was making the midrange more defined and less hollow.

post #16410 of 19813
Interesting..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**