Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1076

post #16126 of 20015
Yeah I agree, I mean, my parents' denon avr2808ci receiver powers the he500 beautifully.
post #16127 of 20015
Thread Starter 

Some receivers, especially vintage ones, use the same amp stage for the hp out. And the planars just seem to love that extra power. My Pioneer has a very tubey sound although it is solid state of course. 

post #16128 of 20015
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Some receivers, especially vintage ones, use the same amp stage for the hp out. And the planars just seem to love that extra power. My Pioneer has a very tubey sound although it is solid state of course. 

Interesting comment, I was playing with a couple receivers and felt the same way even though they are both SS. My 1980's sony sounds just awesome with the 400's but I don't like my modern onkyo with them
post #16129 of 20015

I know some receivers are excellent at driving headphones, but others, like my Sony from the 90s are pretty meh. It's hard to generalize. 

post #16130 of 20015
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferday View Post


Interesting comment, I was playing with a couple receivers and felt the same way even though they are both SS. My 1980's sony sounds just awesome with the 400's but I don't like my modern onkyo with them

 

Once you get into the mid 80's, things changed pretty drastically. But there are some 60's and 70's receivers that are just phenomenal. 

 

Take the Fisher 500c. If you can find one in decent shape for under $1k, they are simply amazing. Possibly the most refined balanced sound that I've ever heard for both speakers and hp's. 

 

Most of the 70's Pioneers are very good with the sx1280 being my favorite. But the Sansui 9090 is also excellent. If you are driving the he400 or any planar hp and haven't gone to your local thrift store/goodwill are picked up a nice vintage receiver for under $100 you're missing out. 

post #16131 of 20015

Just making the announcement that, after several weeks, I put the modded pleathers (no spacer rings) away and am back to the velours. Some comments:

 

Spacer Rings - definitely something I hate about them. Pleather much more comfy without them. Either the seal quality, or the distance of driver to ears seems to impact sound quality somewhat - I consider it better without spacers than with. Something warm, fat, and nice about modded pleathers, but resonance problems live on, particularly when I've been listening to piano music. Fatigue sets in, and my ears get hot.

 

Back to Velours - 'wow these are kinda stiff', and definitely putting more distance between ears and drivers. Yet here that is not a SQ issue but more of an ergonomic one. Still soft and cool on the ears though. Not sure how good the seal is, but they definitely cup my ears in a different way. The ringing in the pleathers (even after mod) just doesn't seem to be present with the velours. Bass response and reach seems about the same, but maybe a tad less weight and, as noted, 'dryer' in presentation. Vocals actually seem more prominent to my ears, and yet more relaxed at the same time. Resonance is not a problem, and more detail may be the case because they do in fact, measure more treble configured this way.

 

Relaxed is the best word immediately coming to mind - more detailed and more spacious at the same time. The pleathers sound great, too, but a bit choked by comparison - performance has been left on the table.

 

Not that anyone cares about my personal flip-flopping, but if were chief engineer for Hifiman, I would probably conclude that the stock velours are really the way to go with these. The pleathers seem a little fatter and 'warmer', but they introduce resonance problems in the midrange that make the HE-400s sound more congested than they really are with some music. I can only speculate that the memory foam is too dense, or that there needs to be more of it and a better shape.

 

Maybe when they are released, someone can put some 400i pads on these and evaluate them - with frequency response charts and waterfalls . . . (Jerg, Purrin, Tyll  . . . . . ). SCIENCE!

post #16132 of 20015

I can agree with all that, regarding stock velours vs any variant of the pleathers.

post #16133 of 20015
Does this include the jerg pads?
post #16134 of 20015

What about the HiFiMan Leathers? The ones that the HE-500's come with.

post #16135 of 20015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
 

What about the HiFiMan Leathers? The ones that the HE-500's come with.

 

 

Not sure if serious.

post #16136 of 20015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

 

 

Not sure if serious.


There are three kinds of HiFiMan brand pads, the pleathers (come with the HE-400's, maybe lower versions as well), the velours (comes in addition to leathers with HE-500's and I believe higher), and the real leathers (comes with the HE-500's and higher).
 I have both the HE-400's and the HE-500's and thats how I have been able to compare. It looks like you can buy the Velours and the Leathers directly from HiFiMan, but I dont see the Pleathers available.

 

From their website:

 

Quote:
 
HiFiMAN

Leather earpads 

Department:Cables & Accessories

Brand: HiFiMAN

Our Price: $20.00

 

Package contain two pieces protein leather earpads. Compatible to all HE-series headphones (including HE-300, HE-500, HE-6, HE-4, HE-5LE, HE-5). The leather earpads have been included in HE-500 and HE-6 accessories since Sept 7, but will not be included in our other headphone packages.


Edited by ben_r_ - 1/22/14 at 12:33pm
post #16137 of 20015

Those are the pleathers.  There are only two types of hifiman pads: the velours and the pleathers.  I guess 3 if you count the old-style velours with the awful tab system.

post #16138 of 20015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

Those are the pleathers.  There are only two types of hifiman pads: the velours and the pleathers.  I guess 3 if you count the old-style velours with the awful tab system.


Youre SURE about that? You have purchased the ones I linked to on their website and tried them? Because they feel much nicer than the ones that feel like obvious pleather that came with my HE-400's which I just bought a couple weeks ago. And whats that bit HiFiMan puts in the description that those leather ones they list only come with the HE-500 and HE-6's?

post #16139 of 20015

Yes, call it what you will: leather, protein leather, pleather, I don't even know anymore, but bottom line it was first introduced alongside the HE-400, and since then started shipping as the stock pad for the HE-500 I believe.  I've bought an extra pair of those, two extra pair of velours, and a hifiman traveling case since I bought the HE-400 2 years ago.

 

I can't really answer the question about Hifiman's descriptions.  Another example is they list the Canare cables with specific lengths, then they list the HE-400 cable-- not calling it Canare.  The HE-400 cable is a Canare cable as well.

 

I also can't answer specifically about why you feel the ones on the HE-400 and HE-500 are different.  Maybe there's product variety, maybe there's expectation bias, who knows.

 

http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=115#


Edited by TMRaven - 1/22/14 at 1:11pm
post #16140 of 20015
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

 

Once you get into the mid 80's, things changed pretty drastically. But there are some 60's and 70's receivers that are just phenomenal. 

 

Take the Fisher 500c. If you can find one in decent shape for under $1k, they are simply amazing. Possibly the most refined balanced sound that I've ever heard for both speakers and hp's. 

 

Most of the 70's Pioneers are very good with the sx1280 being my favorite. But the Sansui 9090 is also excellent. If you are driving the he400 or any planar hp and haven't gone to your local thrift store/goodwill are picked up a nice vintage receiver for under $100 you're missing out. 

i accept your challenge and will begin my hunt for such a beast....i'll try and find the fisher or the other two you mentioned...i've hung out a bit on the vintage receiver thread but it's large and full of stuff i don't care too much about.  i noticed that a lot of these old units need some TLC, which might make a fun project anyways!

 

thanks for the tip and i'll post if i find anything locally :)

 

edit:  there is a sansui 9090 locally asking $550 with recent refurbish and working 100%....is that a good price?


Edited by ferday - 1/22/14 at 1:19pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**