Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1067

post #15991 of 18328

Yes, but only if your amp is capable of scaling with the dac change... and likewise headphones.  HE-400 doesn't have the highest ceiling around.

post #15992 of 18328

and you think the Magni won't be good enough to scale with the Bifrost?

 

if so then in order to get a decent upgrade in the SQ of the Headphones i will need a new amp and DAC, and you say the the HE-400 doesn't scale too much with better equipment so it would probably be somewhat pointless to invest another chunk of money in a new amp and DAC without going to a higher end headphone.

 

is that about right?  

post #15993 of 18328

Real talk:

 

Unless you reaaally like the sound signature of the HE-400, your money is best spent in getting a new headphone if you're looking fora chunk in sound quality increase.

post #15994 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginron View Post
 

and you think the Magni won't be good enough to scale with the Bifrost?

 

if so then in order to get a decent upgrade in the SQ of the Headphones i will need a new amp and DAC, and you say the the HE-400 doesn't scale too much with better equipment so it would probably be somewhat pointless to invest another chunk of money in a new amp and DAC without going to a higher end headphone.

 

is that about right?  

Its the law of diminishing returns. To get great sound you generally need all three pieces of the puzzle. Each improvement gets smaller when you upgrade.

post #15995 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

Real talk:

 

Unless you reaaally like the sound signature of the HE-400, your money is best spent in getting a new headphone if you're looking fora chunk in sound quality increase.

Real talk is good thanks. :D

post #15996 of 18328
So if there isn't much benefit going from the Magni to the Asgard 2 what about from going to the Lyr?
post #15997 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaffe View Post
 

Its the law of diminishing returns. To get great sound you generally need all three pieces of the puzzle. Each improvement gets smaller when you upgrade.


yea, you'll get most sound quality improvement upgrading headphones. then dac/amp.

post #15998 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaffe View Post
 

Make sure to avoid the Bottlehead Crack. It doesn't power these cans well. Not suited for 35 ohm headphones at all.

Thanks for the heads up! I think I'll go with that Antique Sounds or a Woo if I can snag one used.

post #15999 of 18328

I thought the treble was the upper mids. When I set my EQ like this, the 400's sound incredible.

 

post #16000 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taker64 View Post
 

I thought the treble was the upper mids. When I set my EQ like this, the 400's sound incredible.

 

 

 

Hearing damage...

post #16001 of 18328
That's some masochist EQ use right there.
post #16002 of 18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taker64 View Post
 

I thought the treble was the upper mids. When I set my EQ like this, the 400's sound incredible.

 

Is this EQ setting named "T1"?

post #16003 of 18328
Forgive me if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but do the he 400s really require the recommended 150 hours of burnin. It seems excessive to me, does the sound change much?

My he 400s arrived earlier today, but THE CABLE WAS DEFECTIVE. the right connector of the cable was broken, so I will have to wait till it gets replaced to finally listen to them, it's hurting me having them next to me but not being able to listen to them.



Edited by ZacRobbo - 1/14/14 at 10:19pm
post #16004 of 18328
I would say the treble become more bearable but that could be the brain tolerating it better. The difference between 150hrs and out of the box is not as significant as some dynamic drivers, to me.
post #16005 of 18328
I don't really know how to phrase this question, but I'll do my best. How do headphones produce sounds that sound up (above the head) and down (below the head) and all the spaces in between? I know how they make sounds appear left and right, but I swear I hear some sounds above and below others.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**