Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1023

post #15331 of 17737

:popcorn:

post #15332 of 17737
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

I found it better to make a slight curve on the midrange and then lower the treble, (instead of increasing the midrange) it is up to you but try both, personally I preferred it when the treble is lowered and the midrange has a slight curve on it, it has a similar effect of increasing the upper midrange and lowering the treble. I just found it is better to lower frequencies around the area you want to be increased instead... Sounds a bit "wrong" to me when just increasing the upper midrange, but you might prefer it because everyone hears differently.

 

 

At this stage all I am trying to do is to even out the entire frequency response so when I do a sweep in sinegen there are not any obvious dips/peaks. I am just starting with the 1kHz-4kHz area because I only have 10 bands to play with at a time. So I will be doing the whole range eventually. The aim is to get a totally flat sweep in sinegen. How this will actually sound at the end, I am not sure, maybe it will be a waste of time. I found the more I listen the more variations I hear. There is probably about 20 variations in the 1kHz-4kHz region. With this method, as I listen to sinegen I can move the EQ and it effects the output of sinegen in realtime so it makes it easier to even things out. My headphones seem to have quite a large dip in the 1.5kHz area that I found if I bump that portion it does improve a little bit, but bumping up other areas doesn't seem to help that much. There are also some imbalances around 2kHz where I can hear the sound drop off on one side and swap over from side to side. This only happens for very small range. I have been doing this for the past few hours and trialing the result while playing some music and its not sounding all that great so far. I get the feeling that EqualizerAPO doesn't do as good a job as Electri-Q so I will need to transfer the final result into that.

 

This is my current EQ settings below which is based on a slight modification of one of your treble EQ's that I am quite liking so far. The problem is that I tend to like things for a week or 2 and then not so much later. The HE400 is quite a roller coaster ride. At one stage I forgot to switch on the EQ and listened to it like that for a whole day and thought, gee I really like these EQ settings, they have a lot more treble sparkle. I might have to join you in the EQ mad house soon.

 

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7zu1wo

 

post #15333 of 17737

I found that if you try and EQ every tiny little bump or dip it just ends up sounding worse, best thing to do is  keep it as flat as possible but remove the big peaks / dips. The 2 main offenders are 7.5khz and 12.5khz for the treble and also a small one at 5khz.... I found it works quite well to have a curve so everything from approx 200hz-3000hz is higher than everything else above that, this makes the lower mids sound thicker and also raises the 1000-3000 area relative to everything else, but depends what result you are trying to get.


Edited by nicholars - 12/18/13 at 10:00pm
post #15334 of 17737

This is what I mean (ignore the bass area I deleted that point)... Small curve on the midrange and everything else lower.

 

post #15335 of 17737
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

I found that if you try and EQ every tiny little bump or dip it just ends up sounding worse, best thing to do is  keep it as flat as possible but remove the big peaks / dips. The 2 main offenders are 7.5khz and 12.5khz for the treble and also a small one at 5khz.... I found it works quite well to have a curve so everything from approx 200hz-3000hz is higher than everything else above that, this makes the lower mids sound thicker and also raises the 1000-3000 area relative to everything else, but depends what result you are trying to get...

how didja find that the peaks were at 7.5khz & 12.5khz exactly?

post #15336 of 17737
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

how didja find that the peaks were at 7.5khz & 12.5khz exactly?

 

Program called Sinegen.

post #15337 of 17737
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

Program called Sinegen.

but the program is on your computer right? how would it know what frequency response the he400 is outputting?

post #15338 of 17737
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

but the program is on your computer right? how would it know what frequency response the he400 is outputting?

 

Those things on the side of your head.

post #15339 of 17737
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

 

Those things on the side of your head.

hahaah very funny. i meant do you just play some sort of tone that moves through the spectrum to hear where the boosts/lows are?

 

i wanted to download the program & try it out myself, but all the download links I found were filled w/ bloatware/malware.

post #15340 of 17737
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

This is what I mean (ignore the bass area I deleted that point)... Small curve on the midrange and everything else lower.

 

 

 

Yeah I think I will give this up, don't think it will work. Going into so much detail, the EQ isn't that accurate and affects other nearby frequencies, its never ending. Always seems to sound uneven in places. I will give your curve a try, should work OK. I think Audeze are bringing out a dac/amp that has a DSP correction circuit that will have their headphones programmed in it. Need something like that for the HE400.

 

I have heard a lot of high end headphones that I liked but I really like the HE400 (most of the time) and don't want to give it up. Its just a shame that it is so close that just a few shortcomings are ruining it. Maybe the new Hifiman models will be the answer or the Oppo. The LCDX/3/HD800 are all great too but overpriced.

 

money4me247, Nicholars wrote a guide..

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687845/how-to-equalise-your-headphones-using-electriq-parametric-equaliser

 

Here is a sinegen without the bloat, http://www.sendspace.com/file/5n3e74

post #15341 of 17737
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

hahaah very funny. i meant do you just play some sort of tone that moves through the spectrum to hear where the boosts/lows are?

 

i wanted to download the program & try it out myself, but all the download links I found were filled w/ bloatware/malware.

 

Yeh you drag a bar with the mouse from 0-20khz and you listen for when it gets louder / quieter, you can then save each frequency and its volume is in DB and then when you have saved them all u can click through them to check that the volume is the same for each. Once you have got all that sorted out you can plot it onto the equaliser curve. It is quite time consuming and can be irritating to learn electriQ but it gives a much better result than using the 31 band graphic EQ. If you are lazy you can try one I posted but your HE400 / hearing might be different to mine so probably best to do it yourself, if you like tweaking things then it is quite fun.

post #15342 of 17737

Anybody here use the HE-400 with an Audio-GD NFB 11.32? I'm seriously considering it, but I'd like some impressions on the pairing.

post #15343 of 17737
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlxx View Post
 

 

Yeah I think I will give this up, don't think it will work. Going into so much detail, the EQ isn't that accurate and affects other nearby frequencies, its never ending. Always seems to sound uneven in places. I will give your curve a try, should work OK. I think Audeze are bringing out a dac/amp that has a DSP correction circuit that will have their headphones programmed in it. Need something like that for the HE400.

 

I have heard a lot of high end headphones that I liked but I really like the HE400 (most of the time) and don't want to give it up. Its just a shame that it is so close that just a few shortcomings are ruining it. Maybe the new Hifiman models will be the answer or the Oppo. The LCDX/3/HD800 are all great too but overpriced.

 

money4me247, Nicholars wrote a guide..

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687845/how-to-equalise-your-headphones-using-electriq-parametric-equaliser

 

Here is a sinegen without the bloat, http://www.sendspace.com/file/5n3e74


MLXX - don't be a quitter!

 

Remember that the goal for "perfect" response is not a 0 dB variance peak-to-peak. I am willing to bet that if you can get to + or - 3 dB you are in the perceptually 'flat' range, since 3 dB is about the amount it takes for your ear to perceive a change in loudness. So, you could cut a frequency by 3 dB, and its neighbor could be 3 dB louder by comparison, and you would not necessarily perceive the imbalance negatively. Maybe a tonal / timbrel issue, but otherwise smoother than a comparable speaker with +- 6 dB variance or worse.

 

Part of the issue is probably the 'ringing' or poor damping of the phones' - known issues for planars. That is not correctable by EQ, unfortunately. That is also why different pads seem to impact the sound. Have you tried swapping for velour pads? Have you tried modding the pleathers? I suggest you do. Either method impacts the sound in a way I think you would notice. Just don't forget that listening to sine waves all day gets pretty annoying/fatiguing. At some point, you should be A/Bing your EQ with your selected tracks. Then you need to live with the EQ for awhile to see if you've really improved things. I am ALWAYS making small tweaks on other systems from time to time - it is hard for EQ to be "universal" when records vary so much in their quality. More bass, less bass, more treble, less treble . . . . .

 

I am going to the store later to look for polyfill / less dense foam to stuff into the ear pad to see if it can 'calm' them a tad in piano music. I am in the mood to screw around and see what, besides EQ, can make an appreciable change in the sound. I am wondering if cramming some foam strategically into the cups could help. But it is a good idea to make sure you have a known recording that is either a) a known awesome recording or b) a recording known to bring out the worst in speakers. Playing with materials / cutting holes and into headphones and what not is not different from 'deadening' a room in your house by adding thick carpet and wall panels. EQ is important, but some fatigue / unwanted sound could be reflections. Anyway.


Edited by MrMateoHead - 12/19/13 at 9:56am
post #15344 of 17737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdr529 View Post

manbear, you get 3x the power but that resister is dissipating 7x the power of the he-400 right? Resistance is proportional power, P = I^2 * R. What did it sound like with/without the adapter?


I actually noticed more clipping with the adapter. Even though the amp was outputting more power, the voltage divider formed by the resistor adapter was probably causing a net reduction. I'm not sure exactly what output voltage the Little Dot MKIII can swing though, so IDK how to calculate it. I sold the amp anyway, so I'm not that concerned... How are you getting this 7x number? 

post #15345 of 17737
double post
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**