or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 1017

post #15241 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMateoHead View Post
 

Describe the sound of the distortion. Is it like static?

 

Also, see if you can get the issue to replicate consistently. Do you detect it with the same song / album?

 

When you hear "static" through the HE-400s, I've noticed that it is typically either a loose connection in my left cup, or replication of a clipped wave in a bad recording (excessive dynamic compression). Or in other words, the HE-400 are not distorting - they are playing back the distortion!

hey thanks for the advice. the distortion was like clipping, did not always replicate within a specific track. I figured out the problem, it was my audio drivers. after i updated em, the issue has resolved. :)

 

funny how i never heard the distortion before though. the HE-400 really plays things back at a high resolution and super clearly.

post #15242 of 20490

I currently have an ASUS Xonar DG for gaming. I was looking into getting a DAC/AMP combo. I mostly listen to pop and hip-hop music.

 

A Schiit Magni/Modi with cables comes to about $217.52 shipped.

Pros: Cheap, USA warranty (faster RMA process)

Cons: Lack of features

 

An Audio-gd NFB-15.32 with cables comes to about $257.50 shipped + optical cable.

Pros: Features

Cons: China warranty (long/expensive RMA process)

 

So the question I have is how is the build quality of the NFB 15.32? I used to have Sunrise IEMs (Vietnam) and that process took like a month to get a replacement. I rather not go through that again. Also I saw TCXO upgrade and was wondering what that was about.

Finally... would I still be able to use Xonar DG Dolby Headphone with either of these combos and how would I hook it up to do that?

post #15243 of 20490

I'm selling my HE-400s -- the newest iteration with the white drivers. bought them August 2013. I'll also include the velour earpads for free. PM me if interested with an offer

post #15244 of 20490

Weren't you selling them a couple months ago.

post #15245 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

Weren't you selling them a couple months ago.

no?

post #15246 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulmaster View Post
 

I'm selling my HE-400s -- the newest iteration with the white drivers. bought them August 2013. I'll also include the velour earpads for free. PM me if interested with an offer

why are you selling em?

post #15247 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

why are you selling em?

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/15105#post_10055149

post #15248 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

why turn of volume leveling?


Volume leveling is done by digital attenuation. Digital attenuation = poor audio quality non-optimal audio

*edit: not optimal audio quality, although some people will not be able to hear depending on ears and gear.


Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 12/16/13 at 3:16pm
post #15249 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post


Volume leveling is done by digital attenuation. Digital attenuation = poor audio quality non-optimal audio

*edit: not optimal audio quality, although some people will not be able to hear depending on ears and gear.


It all depends. If you are playing 16-bit material with your DAC set to 24-bit, you get about -10 db of digital volume before it affects sound quality in the slightest. The reason being that the information shaved off by the digital volume control is limited to the extra 8 bits added by playing 16-bit material with 24-bits of headroom. 

post #15250 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post
 


It all depends. If you are playing 16-bit material with your DAC set to 24-bit, you get about -10 db of digital volume before it affects sound quality in the slightest. The reason being that the information shaved off by the digital volume control is limited to the extra 8 bits added by playing 16-bit material with 24-bits of headroom. 


We're talking about Spotify in this particular case. Not sure if they're running their volume platform on 24 or 16 bit or if they're tied into Windows 32-bit float point. I searched through their FAQ and site and all they state is encoding and  bit rate. There is however an answer on their forum about volume equalization and how it does effect quality. This is answered by a Spotify rep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, you can turn the volume all the way up. Using volume equalization will still drop the volume down certain songs digitally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaCosmos View Post
 

either way why not just run the volume all the way up


Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 12/16/13 at 6:19pm
post #15251 of 20490

either way why not just run the volume all the way up

post #15252 of 20490

Has anyone here compared the HE-400 using different amps including the Aune T1?  Do they pair well?  I'm considering getting a T1 for my HE-400.  Even though some people have said that the T1 works well with it, I'm a bit confused because the T1 has an output impedance of 10ohms whereas the HE400 has 35ohm of impedance.  Shouldn't the HP have at least 8x the impedance of the output impedance of the amp to work well? 

post #15253 of 20490
Amps amplify. Keep the output impedance low and you'll easily reach loud dbs
post #15254 of 20490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Warudo View Post
 

Has anyone here compared the HE-400 using different amps including the Aune T1?  Do they pair well?  I'm considering getting a T1 for my HE-400.  Even though some people have said that the T1 works well with it, I'm a bit confused because the T1 has an output impedance of 10ohms whereas the HE400 has 35ohm of impedance.  Shouldn't the HP have at least 8x the impedance of the output impedance of the amp to work well? 

are you considering the Aune T1 b/c of a certain group buy website?? lol... I read that the tube amp only powers the DAC... it amps w/ a SS. kinda spoils the fun IMO.

post #15255 of 20490
The wheels on the bus are round like most headphones.
Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 12/17/13 at 2:04am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**