What amp are you using? It could be clipping.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
I've owned an EarMax and Sennheiser HD 580's for 20 years, so I'm already familiar with tubed OTL headphone amps. The linestage of my old Quicksilver started developing some noise, and I didn't...
I bought these from Amazon about 2 weeks ago, and felt buyer's remorse when I wasn't blown away by the sound. They aren't bad, but they do lack bass and the feel is cheap. They were somewhat...
I would like to thank Brainwavz for the review sample of R3! Brainwavz R3 is a dual dynamic drivers IEM. It has 2 dynamic drivers in each housing, facing each other into a sound blending...
HIFIMAN HE-560 ON TAP: A FIRST DAY REVIEW SAGA (HIFIMAN HE-560 TOUR IMPRESSIONS) FIRST IMPRESSIONS Wow ... what a big box! I was expecting a more economically packaged box, but once I...
*Not an audio professional review, only my user opinion* After listening to lots of headphones inside this price ranger I decided on these. I was first worried cause lately I was reading lots...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 955
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Wow! Is he/she/it really that red or is that an artifact of the camera flash?
He's more like pink/purple, if you're interested you can check my videos in youtube channel - Chained2Alice ;)
Still not sure why you would want to have one of those things in your house out of choice lol....
So i can imagine why people like those exotic kind of animals
I like animals and all that.... Just not those creepy little things.... Seriously I mean.... WOT is a spider? It is not normal....
Anyway on HE400 related matters.... I settled on an EQ for my HE400, it is surprising actually how you can make these things sound almost 100% non sibilant / tizzy / harsh.... Just by EQ'ing the right frequencies by the right amounts....The treble to me now sounds natural... Definately a massive improvement over the graphic EQ... I went back to the 31 band foobar EQ as an experiment and yep.... After an hour or so my ears were hurting again.... To the guy who switched back to graphic EQ.... I strongly recommend giving ElectriQ another chance because it can work miracles with these headphones, Just need to do it using Sinegen and frequency sweeps then test a few songs and leave it alone.... Set up a few presets for good / bad quality recording and then do not touch it again. Do not change it depending on what song you are listening to or this can be a fast downward spiral into EQ tweaking insanity
Edited by nicholars - 11/12/13 at 2:17pm
hey HE400/headphone experts
i'm getting a weird static on heavy bass notes, i started noticing a couple weeks ago. it sounds very much like digital static, but i can only hear it on my HE400's, none of my other cans or any of my hi-fi zones. changing cables/usb ports etc on the DAC/amp did nothing. so it seems to only happen with my 400's, but its very, very digital in sound and only happens on lower bass, and i can only hear it when it's otherwise quiet (bass drops). it's really bugging me, any suggestions? is there something to check for this in the cans themselves (although i can't believe that because of how digital it sounds)
Known causes of static:
1) dust on your drivers (unlikely if you've not messed with mesh screens or kept your earpads on) *Never happened to me but has to others
2) Loose connection on one of the earcups - Re-Tighten connection *Happens to me quite a bit and creates static / cut outs
3) EQ settings being used to boost, rather than cut frequencies - lower EQ gain
4) Amplifier / Preamplifier clipping - adjust gain settings, or turn the volume down
and what I would personally wager as most likely:
5) Clipped Recording
I check for clipped recordings with Audacity. You can drag and drop the audio file in to the program and have it highlight clipping. There is no cure for you if it is there, but the clipping does sound exactly like static through the HE-400s. I also use waveform seekbar with Foobar. Usually I can tell that a recording is likely to be clipped just be looking at the waveform.
Brain burn in, definitely, the planar sound is one that surely takes time to get used to. Actual burn in, even if I did believe in such, is said to be very minimal with planar magnetics.
Not only brain, but their sound will change in the first 20 hours. I did compare my brand new HE-500 with the used one, the new one had more trebles in the beginning.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › *** MonoPrice DJ Headphones 8323 Review *** 6 seconds ago
- › Beat headphone + inbuilt MIC option? 38 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 40 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling 1 minute ago
- › Tokyo 2014 Autumn Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival October 25-26 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 2 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › Suggestions for newb on good headphones and amp/DAC for rock. 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by castleofargh
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › FitEar Private 333 by Kiats
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)