What amp are you using? It could be clipping.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 955
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Wow! Is he/she/it really that red or is that an artifact of the camera flash?
He's more like pink/purple, if you're interested you can check my videos in youtube channel - Chained2Alice ;)
Still not sure why you would want to have one of those things in your house out of choice lol....
So i can imagine why people like those exotic kind of animals
I like animals and all that.... Just not those creepy little things.... Seriously I mean.... WOT is a spider? It is not normal....
Anyway on HE400 related matters.... I settled on an EQ for my HE400, it is surprising actually how you can make these things sound almost 100% non sibilant / tizzy / harsh.... Just by EQ'ing the right frequencies by the right amounts....The treble to me now sounds natural... Definately a massive improvement over the graphic EQ... I went back to the 31 band foobar EQ as an experiment and yep.... After an hour or so my ears were hurting again.... To the guy who switched back to graphic EQ.... I strongly recommend giving ElectriQ another chance because it can work miracles with these headphones, Just need to do it using Sinegen and frequency sweeps then test a few songs and leave it alone.... Set up a few presets for good / bad quality recording and then do not touch it again. Do not change it depending on what song you are listening to or this can be a fast downward spiral into EQ tweaking insanity
Edited by nicholars - 11/12/13 at 2:17pm
hey HE400/headphone experts
i'm getting a weird static on heavy bass notes, i started noticing a couple weeks ago. it sounds very much like digital static, but i can only hear it on my HE400's, none of my other cans or any of my hi-fi zones. changing cables/usb ports etc on the DAC/amp did nothing. so it seems to only happen with my 400's, but its very, very digital in sound and only happens on lower bass, and i can only hear it when it's otherwise quiet (bass drops). it's really bugging me, any suggestions? is there something to check for this in the cans themselves (although i can't believe that because of how digital it sounds)
Known causes of static:
1) dust on your drivers (unlikely if you've not messed with mesh screens or kept your earpads on) *Never happened to me but has to others
2) Loose connection on one of the earcups - Re-Tighten connection *Happens to me quite a bit and creates static / cut outs
3) EQ settings being used to boost, rather than cut frequencies - lower EQ gain
4) Amplifier / Preamplifier clipping - adjust gain settings, or turn the volume down
and what I would personally wager as most likely:
5) Clipped Recording
I check for clipped recordings with Audacity. You can drag and drop the audio file in to the program and have it highlight clipping. There is no cure for you if it is there, but the clipping does sound exactly like static through the HE-400s. I also use waveform seekbar with Foobar. Usually I can tell that a recording is likely to be clipped just be looking at the waveform.
Brain burn in, definitely, the planar sound is one that surely takes time to get used to. Actual burn in, even if I did believe in such, is said to be very minimal with planar magnetics.
Not only brain, but their sound will change in the first 20 hours. I did compare my brand new HE-500 with the used one, the new one had more trebles in the beginning.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 5 seconds ago
- › Audioquest Eagle Eye Digital RCA S/PDIF cable, 1m. FREE shipping!! 33 seconds ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 46 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 50 seconds ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 1 minute ago
- › Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Do you dream about headphones now? 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)