Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 926

post #13876 of 20386
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

Doesn't the HE500 have bass like the HE400? I like the bass on the HE400 a lot...
not like the he400.. Is more controlled..i think the he400 hits more agressively but less controlled if ur into that.. Soundsignature is also a bit more in ur face..more treble... Its a phone of extremes...for the money a good phone..but in general the he500 is the more balanced phone..but also 200usd more expensive..

And its of utmost importance that u get to drive the he500 well..or the he500 sounds not to well.. The he400 gets to its peak performance easier with lesser amping... So in some situations ur better of with the he400.
Edited by hifimanrookie - 10/22/13 at 1:17pm
post #13877 of 20386
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

 

Doesn't the HE500 have bass like the HE400? I like the bass on the HE400 a lot...

 

If you didn't have the HD650 then the He-500 was a better choose for you than the He-400. Personally I prefer to have both of the He-400 and HD650 than a HE-500. The He-500 is also heavier than He-400. 

post #13878 of 20386
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

I have no reason to try the HE-500, because the HE-400 was what I was looking for.  Only things on my list are LCD-XC and SR-007.  Depending on how I like the XC when I audition it from head-amp I'll probably only have the 007 on my list.

 

This one...

post #13879 of 20386
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrm360 View Post
 

 

If you didn't have the HD650 then the He-500 was a better choose for you than the He-400. Personally I prefer to have both of the He-400 and HD650 than a HE-500. The He-500 is also heavier than He-400. 

 

The HE400 + Xonar STX cost me £315 in total (used)....

 

The HE500 + Emotiva mini-x amp for example costs about £800.....

 

So I am trying to weigh up whether it is worth saving up for or if I should get something else (cheaper)....

 

Would not really want any less quantity or impact than the HE400 bass.... But if it is more refined then that is better.... HE400 up to about 800hz with more upper mids and smooth treble would be perfect... Still its a lot of money...


Edited by nicholars - 10/22/13 at 1:53pm
post #13880 of 20386
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

The HE400 + Xonar STX cost me £315 in total (used)....

The HE500 + Emotiva mini-x amp for example costs about £800.....

So I am trying to weigh up whether it is worth saving up for or if I should get something else (cheaper)....

Would not really want any less quantity or impact than the HE400 bass.... But if it is more refined then that is better.... HE400 up to about 800hz with more upper mids and smooth treble would be perfect... Still its a lot of money...
A used he500 and emotiva cost ya 800USD or less.. tongue.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 10/22/13 at 3:29pm
post #13881 of 20386
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

 

This one...

 

I'm not discounting the XC just yet!

post #13882 of 20386
Thread Starter 

This sr-007 is a sure bet. Too many unknowns about the XC IMO.

post #13883 of 20386

Well it's not like I'm getting one of the two within the next couple of days-- yet alone the next couple of months.

post #13884 of 20386
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

This sr-007 is a sure bet. Too many unknowns about the XC IMO.
Sr007 also needs an expensive amp to work... One day i will probably also jump on the stax wagon..probably the sr007 mk something Or the 009 with an amp to make it shine..blue hawaii maybe or one of those woo audio amps wink.gif
post #13885 of 20386
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

 

The HE400 + Xonar STX cost me £315 in total (used)....

 

The HE500 + Emotiva mini-x amp for example costs about £800.....

 

So I am trying to weigh up whether it is worth saving up for or if I should get something else (cheaper)....

 

Would not really want any less quantity or impact than the HE400 bass.... But if it is more refined then that is better.... HE400 up to about 800hz with more upper mids and smooth treble would be perfect... Still its a lot of money...

 

“NAD C 326BEE” would have enough power to drive the HE-500. ;)

post #13886 of 20386
I'm having trouble finding a buyer though....i don't think anyone wants the hd595....just saying...plus, they're my travel phones :-)
post #13887 of 20386

Mine are in the mail. I am exited. 

post #13888 of 20386
So, I'm always thinking of xdjfferent paths to take in this head-fi fantasy game I have in my head. So, I'm wondering what changing ny source will do for the he400. I'm thinking of upgrading from the e17 and sx-727 to maybe the aune t1 as the dac and the emotiva mini x or the garage 1217 project sunrise ii for the amp. I do want to upgrade to the he500 at some point. But I wanted to ask if maybe an amp and dac change would really do anything for the he400. Any thoughts?
Edited by hemipowered007 - 10/22/13 at 8:17pm
post #13889 of 20386
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

So, I'm always thinking of xdjfferent paths to take in this head-fi fantasy game I have in my head. So, I'm wondering what changing ny source will do for the he400. I'm thinking of upgrading from the e17 and sx-727 to maybe the aune t1 as the dac and the emotiva mini x or the garage 1217 project sunrise ii for the amp. I do want to upgrade to the he500 at some point. But I wanted to ask if maybe an amp and dac change would really do anything for the he400. Any thoughts?

I don't think the T1 will be much of a change from the E17, but the SX-727 would be a good pairing with the HE-500.  I've heard mine on an SX-850 and it sounds quite nice :D I say if you're looking to upgrade it may be most advantageous to move from the HE-400 to the HE-500 and pair with the Pioneer.  Continue to use the E17 and upgrade the DAC next.  I think improvements will be more minimal using the HE-400 vs HE-500, at least that was my experience anyway...the HE-500 being able to scale higher with better amp pairings.


Edited by modulor - 10/22/13 at 8:35pm
post #13890 of 20386

thats what i figured, now, to sell the magnum build the he400 to obtain an he500? Let me ask this, and maybe i should move to the he500 forum, but my main thing is i want more lush mids, specifically upper mids, which the 400 does not have, and i cannot for the life of me get any eq to properly fix just that part. so, does the he500 have what im looking for? I loved the upper mids of the hd 598, but the rest of the spectrum was lacking. I dont care a ton for bass, i like the bass on the 400 dont get me wrong, but i could afford to lose some quantity for a more neutral hp while retaining that "planar magic". 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**