There is no contest for me between the HD650 and HD800 either. HD650 is the much better tonal experience.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
This is my first review, but I will try to make it fast and straight to the point. I just received the HD580s from ebay, and before I bought them I did some research and found out these have...
First impressions When I first tried these headphones out of the box, I was a little disappointed at how the higher frequencies seemed to be more forward than the mids and bass. It wouldn't...
I was on the hunt for a well-made copper cable to complement my stock and third party cables for my Fitear IEMs when I came across Forza Audioworks. Good quality wire, ergonomics and aesthetics...
The best phones I've tried so far. I tried some well-burnt-in beyerdynamic and others in similar price range in a store, and I have owned the 601 before. I also own closed cans, e.g. the K271, and...
First of all, a big THANK YOU to @svyr and @H20Fidelity for organising this Australian tour. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included in this...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 923
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #13832 of 1702410/20/13 at 3:26pmQuote:If it's all about the mids, I could see that. Don't see them as being in the same class personally because of the "out of head" experience and supremely natural sound coming from the 800 (slight treble annoyance aside).Quote:There is so much that's disturbing about this picturepost #13833 of 1702410/20/13 at 3:29pmQuote:
Can't say I liked it much before either. Heard it on a Burson 160d and on the Senn amp and didn't like it... but this time it was magic.post #13834 of 1702410/20/13 at 3:47pmQuote:
That's what I am talking about!
Downward sloping - not really, because a flat midrange is still desirable. The closest thing I can think of that I have actually heard was the Andrew Jones wireless speaker + subwoofer. The thing actually sounds amazing for what it is, and it has a definite downward sloping line. It is definitely a tad bass heavy at times, but has a real rich sound. Jones did work for Harmon I believe. I definitely want to get my hands on his Pioneer speakers - I have a feeling they would be amazing in a small / medium sized room.post #13835 of 1702410/20/13 at 3:53pm
About 20dB down at 4 khz! Yikes. That phone is more scooped out than the HE-400s and probably is a little too treble light. I would love to hear them, but I would assume they are going to seem a little too rich and polite. However, the relatively flat response from 10hz-1khz is pretty impressive for a dynamic.post #13836 of 1702410/20/13 at 3:58pmQuote:
Yeah that's the thing I'm afraid of, having to spend my whole life trying to find an amp that I find the best with the HD800, haha. Its comfort is really, really great though.post #13837 of 1702410/20/13 at 4:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by MrMateoHead
About 20dB down at 4 khz! Yikes. That phone is more scooped out than the HE-400s and probably is a little too treble light. I would love to hear them, but I would assume they are going to seem a little too rich and polite. However, the relatively flat response from 10hz-1khz is pretty impressive for a dynamic.
They are pretty damn good actually.... More like around 8db down but with that random dip there, can't say I noticed it though... To me they were just about right with the frequency response... Maybe could be a couple DB more upper mids and treble... I left the EQ flat on the Momentums except for a small bass boost for EDM.... However the ear cups are tiny and the lack of soundstage and small sound compared to full size headphones ruined it for me.... If they were 50% bigger and had twice the soundstage size they would be around equal with the HE400 for sound quality overall.post #13838 of 1702410/20/13 at 4:30pmQuote:
+1, though I did like it, it was not what I am looking for.
Edited by Fearless1 - 10/20/13 at 4:32pmpost #13839 of 1702410/20/13 at 4:38pmI definitely didn't hear such a massive drop from mids an up on the Momentum. The graphs make it look like the Momentum has non-existent treble. That's pretty inacurrate. Yes, they're smooth, but they're not deficient or veiled...post #13840 of 1702410/20/13 at 4:45pmpost #13841 of 1702410/20/13 at 4:50pmpost #13842 of 1702410/21/13 at 7:13am
Well I am always fooled also by the way that response is plotted. I forget that, having relatively flat bass through 1 khz should, like the HE-400, even make the phones seem a little 'bass light' at first. Having owned a lot of senns, I also understand that they are not typically deficient in the treble. But they are veiled. Has anyone heard the HD-598s as well? How do those compare? The 598s would probably be my first choice for my next senns, or maybe some used 600s. But I couldn't afford the 700 or 800.
What's funny is that my old 428s were in some ways the bassiest, nicest phones ever - so long as they weren't pushed to super high volumes. They were quite veiled for music (which became a deal breaker), but sounded awesome for movies and games. I still like to throw them on for just those reasons.
Edited by MrMateoHead - 10/21/13 at 7:19ampost #13843 of 1702410/21/13 at 7:16ampost #13844 of 1702410/21/13 at 7:36amI currently own the hifiman he-400's, and the Sennheiser hd650, and Sennheiser hd595, and must admit.....I AM SO IN LOVE WITH MY he-400's!! I agree....the hifiman is completely awesome! I'm looking to sell the hd650, and keep the hd595, and use the hifiman for all my at home listening!! BEST HEADPHONE EVER!! it's worth way more than 400 dollars.....trust me!post #13845 of 1702410/21/13 at 7:54amQuote:
^This. The 598 came off as shouty and fatiguing to me. I much prefer the 558, which reigned in those mids and made the sound more balanced and versatile.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 7 seconds ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & comparisons (Added K3003, XBA-H3, S-EM6) 37 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 41 seconds ago
- › Need New Over Ear Headphones 1 minute ago
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 3 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 3 minutes ago
- › Best Value Tube Amps 4 minutes ago
- › Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14] 4 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! 4 minutes ago
- › Tube warmth and distortion and it's pros 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 580 by achelgeson
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by unshavenbastard
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by djvkool
- › Astrotec AX-30 by bowei006
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by Ultramus
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Skullcandy Fix In Ear Headphone With 3 Button Remote - White / Chrome by killeraxemannic
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob