There is no contest for me between the HD650 and HD800 either. HD650 is the much better tonal experience.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
(Note - XL ear pads are installed. The sound will be judged based on that.) Introduction: I purchased these headphones mainly out of curiosity. I was reading reviews and watching youtubers...
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 923
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #13832 of 1708310/20/13 at 3:26pmQuote:If it's all about the mids, I could see that. Don't see them as being in the same class personally because of the "out of head" experience and supremely natural sound coming from the 800 (slight treble annoyance aside).Quote:There is so much that's disturbing about this picturepost #13833 of 1708310/20/13 at 3:29pmQuote:
Can't say I liked it much before either. Heard it on a Burson 160d and on the Senn amp and didn't like it... but this time it was magic.post #13834 of 1708310/20/13 at 3:47pmQuote:
That's what I am talking about!
Downward sloping - not really, because a flat midrange is still desirable. The closest thing I can think of that I have actually heard was the Andrew Jones wireless speaker + subwoofer. The thing actually sounds amazing for what it is, and it has a definite downward sloping line. It is definitely a tad bass heavy at times, but has a real rich sound. Jones did work for Harmon I believe. I definitely want to get my hands on his Pioneer speakers - I have a feeling they would be amazing in a small / medium sized room.post #13835 of 1708310/20/13 at 3:53pm
About 20dB down at 4 khz! Yikes. That phone is more scooped out than the HE-400s and probably is a little too treble light. I would love to hear them, but I would assume they are going to seem a little too rich and polite. However, the relatively flat response from 10hz-1khz is pretty impressive for a dynamic.post #13836 of 1708310/20/13 at 3:58pmQuote:
Yeah that's the thing I'm afraid of, having to spend my whole life trying to find an amp that I find the best with the HD800, haha. Its comfort is really, really great though.post #13837 of 1708310/20/13 at 4:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by MrMateoHead
About 20dB down at 4 khz! Yikes. That phone is more scooped out than the HE-400s and probably is a little too treble light. I would love to hear them, but I would assume they are going to seem a little too rich and polite. However, the relatively flat response from 10hz-1khz is pretty impressive for a dynamic.
They are pretty damn good actually.... More like around 8db down but with that random dip there, can't say I noticed it though... To me they were just about right with the frequency response... Maybe could be a couple DB more upper mids and treble... I left the EQ flat on the Momentums except for a small bass boost for EDM.... However the ear cups are tiny and the lack of soundstage and small sound compared to full size headphones ruined it for me.... If they were 50% bigger and had twice the soundstage size they would be around equal with the HE400 for sound quality overall.post #13838 of 1708310/20/13 at 4:30pmQuote:
+1, though I did like it, it was not what I am looking for.
Edited by Fearless1 - 10/20/13 at 4:32pmpost #13839 of 1708310/20/13 at 4:38pmI definitely didn't hear such a massive drop from mids an up on the Momentum. The graphs make it look like the Momentum has non-existent treble. That's pretty inacurrate. Yes, they're smooth, but they're not deficient or veiled...post #13840 of 1708310/20/13 at 4:45pmpost #13841 of 1708310/20/13 at 4:50pmpost #13842 of 1708310/21/13 at 7:13am
Well I am always fooled also by the way that response is plotted. I forget that, having relatively flat bass through 1 khz should, like the HE-400, even make the phones seem a little 'bass light' at first. Having owned a lot of senns, I also understand that they are not typically deficient in the treble. But they are veiled. Has anyone heard the HD-598s as well? How do those compare? The 598s would probably be my first choice for my next senns, or maybe some used 600s. But I couldn't afford the 700 or 800.
What's funny is that my old 428s were in some ways the bassiest, nicest phones ever - so long as they weren't pushed to super high volumes. They were quite veiled for music (which became a deal breaker), but sounded awesome for movies and games. I still like to throw them on for just those reasons.
Edited by MrMateoHead - 10/21/13 at 7:19ampost #13843 of 1708310/21/13 at 7:16ampost #13844 of 1708310/21/13 at 7:36amI currently own the hifiman he-400's, and the Sennheiser hd650, and Sennheiser hd595, and must admit.....I AM SO IN LOVE WITH MY he-400's!! I agree....the hifiman is completely awesome! I'm looking to sell the hd650, and keep the hd595, and use the hifiman for all my at home listening!! BEST HEADPHONE EVER!! it's worth way more than 400 dollars.....trust me!post #13845 of 1708310/21/13 at 7:54amQuote:
^This. The 598 came off as shouty and fatiguing to me. I much prefer the 558, which reigned in those mids and made the sound more balanced and versatile.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Need some new versatile Home 'Studio' cans with a bit more precision 2 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 20 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 46 seconds ago
- › Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90 2 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 2 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 4 minutes ago
- › Plussound Audio - The Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Question about my MTPC regarding different tips and how they affect... 6 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 6 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude