Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 910

post #13636 of 19921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post
 

Finished and just posted the "highly negative" review that I mentioned a while back: http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-400/reviews/9759

 

I'm sure many will disagree with it, but it's just my opinion. :redface:

Thanks for having the courage :)

 

I posted a comment there.

post #13637 of 19921

I will never get how ANYBODY would generalize and consider the entirety of the HE-400's midrange as recessed.  2/3s of it is forward, and somehow it seems as though people think the last 1/3 of it-- the area from 3-5khz, as enveloping all of the midrange.  That's the feeling I get when I read remarks like yours.  I think David Mahler categorized HE-400's midrange the best.

 

As for the bass... well.  I don't really know what to say.

 

I also don't really know how you could consider the Magni to not be able to drive the HE-400 to loud volumes without bass distortion.  If the Magni is at 9-10 o'clock it's already loud enough for me and still never distorts.  

post #13638 of 19921
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

I will never get how ANYBODY would generalize and consider the entirety of the HE-400's midrange as recessed.  2/3s of it is forward, and somehow it seems as though people think the last 1/3 of it-- the area from 3-5khz, as enveloping all of the midrange.  That's the feeling I get when I read remarks like yours.  I think David Mahler categorized HE-400's midrange the best.

 

As for the bass... well.  I don't really know what to say.

 

I also don't really know how you could consider the Magni to not be able to drive the HE-400 to loud volumes without bass distortion.  If the Magni is at 9-10 o'clock it's already loud enough for me and still never distorts.  

I'm 90% sure about the source of the bass comments from Asr, check my comment below his review there.

post #13639 of 19921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post
 

Finished and just posted the "highly negative" review that I mentioned a while back: http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-400/reviews/9759

 

I'm sure many will disagree with it, but it's just my opinion. :redface:

 

I’m not 100% disagree with you, but it’s not that bad in compare with other headphones in same price range. I do think the HD600s are better all-rounder headphones.

post #13640 of 19921

Jerg, do you have a review of your HE400 and HE500 pairing with the 11.32?

post #13641 of 19921

I don't buy that he needs a good seal either.  I don't really like circle pads, as they don't fit and seal quite as well as angled/oval pads like the LCD2 or Mad Dogs, and even with some of the velour pads not creating a seal around my ear I still get very good extension from the HE-400.

 

I can understanding not liking the recessed upper mids and treble spike-- hell I have to EQ down that treble, but I don't know where to start with the bass remarks.

post #13642 of 19921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post
 

Jerg, do you have a review of your HE400 and HE500 pairing with the 11.32?

Nope...I never saw the point. 11.32 does the job, dead neutral, fairly resolving, with good control in the bass region. It does lack a bit in smoothness but that's the case with most solid-state amps I think.

post #13643 of 19921
I'm wondering if he is listening too loud on them and that is what's wrong. I can't see how the magni cannot go loud enough and also distort before the headphones gets excessively loud. I tried them at 1-2 p'clock before for a brief 3 sec and no distortion. Either that they are defective or the headphone is defective.
post #13644 of 19921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post
 

Finished and just posted the "highly negative" review that I mentioned a while back: http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-400/reviews/9759

 

I'm sure many will disagree with it, but it's just my opinion. :redface:


I found your review interesting, but I'm curious, what are some headphones that in your opinion have bass with good impact, energy, tightness, etc.? I'm not looking to disagree with your opinions at all, just interested to know what has good bass by your standards. 

I do agree with your comments about diffusion and separation, somewhat at least. I only notice this on certain songs, usually towards the end of a longer listening session when I'm starting to get tired, but sometimes the music sounds like different frequencies are located in very distinct bands around my head, usually with parts of the midrange in the outermost bands. It sounds very unnatural. I don't always hear it that way though, so I just interpreted it as a sign that my brain is tired of listening to music. 

post #13645 of 19921
I get disliking some aspects of the he400, but wow.... Boring bass? Theres so much texture and detail in its bass, how the hell is that boring? The mids thing I somewhat get,but, like tm said, he overgeneralized it. Its just a slight reduction in upper mids that makes them sound "off", but a small eq bump and you're good to go. At first I didn't like them a lot, but they taught me to listen at lower volumes and appreciate the intricacies in music. Now someone give me their he4 already!!!
post #13646 of 19921

I just want to say that, in general, if someone doesn't like the way a headphone sounds, people who like that headphone shouldn't rush to pick apart that person's opinion and find some kind of defect that explains that person's negative opinion. It's great that a lot of us hear the same things (or it's a terrible symptom of hive mind and confirmation bias...), but all of this is extremely subjective. Even the objective stuff :wink_face:. Id really just like to hear Asr's opinion of what has better bass than the HE-400, since I really enjoy their bass. I don't find it objectionable that someone doesn't like something that I like. I still know I like it, right?

post #13647 of 19921
Guess I should question what exactly isn't quality to him instead of acting like he's crazy.
post #13648 of 19921
Jerg, I can't find your comment on Asr's review - maybe because I'm on the mobile site? Anyway, Asr, if your review is all pure, meaning no EQ, I can see your points. Without EQ, I don't think I'd enjoy listening to the 400 very much. The only thing I wonder about is something that you do mention - that perhaps you couldn't get a good seal. I say that because you mention a lack of impact/force, whereas planars (these included) are the only kind of headphones that can actually vibrate my head with their bass impact. Even here I have to make a qualification though as I usually boost 30Hz about 4 or 5 dB on the 400 (electronica, you know how it is cool.gif )
Edited by ethan7000 - 10/14/13 at 9:29pm
post #13649 of 19921
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post

Jerg, I can't find your comment on Asr's review - maybe because I'm on the mobile site? Anyway, Asr, if your review is all pure, meaning no EQ, I can see your points. Without EQ, I don't think I'd enjoy listening to the 400 very much. The only thing I wonder about is something that you do mention - that perhaps you couldn't get a good seal. I say that because you mention a lack of impact/force, whereas planars (these included) are the only kind of headphones that can actually vibrate my head with their bass impact. Even here I have to make a qualification though as I usually boost 30Hz about 4 or 5 dB on the 400 (electronica, you know how it is cool.gif )

 

 

 

I said

Seal is really, really important for HE400's overall bass quality. A lack of seal with HE400s = creates a significant midbass hump and severe roll-off, as well as massively increased harmonic distortions (aka loss of tightness) in the bass region. This seal ~ bass quality correlation has been proven in excess by measurements by purrin.
 
I can understand your opinions with regards to the midrange and treble, however; at least with stock earpads.
post #13650 of 19921
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post



I said
Nice, thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**