- 767 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Location: CA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productFiiO E17tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 10/31/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Trying to decide: HE400, HE500, HD600 or HD650 + Fiio E17/Fiio E9K Last post on 12/9/13 at 4:35am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HE-500 and FiiO E17 Last post on 1/26/14 at 1:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apple to Oranges HiFiMan HE-400, HiFiMan HE-500, or Denon AH-D600. What would you go with? Last post on 12/13/13 at 4:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal? Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
First, a big thanks to Todd The Vinyl Junkie for making the 'e' series loaner program possible. To the next guy in line: sorry I kept them for so long. The very first pair of 'high-end'...
A big thanks to TekFusion for sending the TwinWoofer in for review and Ibrahim for taking the photo shots! TekFusion is a brand new fresh company based in India. Targeted for consumer...
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
INTRODUCTION Build quality is excellent. This is my second headphone review.M40x is a recent release from Audio Technica,it is a...
PACKAGING : Earphones cames with a nice little box and 2 pair of white foamies (1 pair of donut and 1 pair of classic covered). I’m always using donuts one since it provides some slightly more...
**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 850
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Whenever Audeze releases their closed LCD I'll just be using that at home and on the go like an extreme hipster. This is all assuming they know how to magically dampen their closed backs to sound like an open back and not sound like a Mad Dog.
Btw I already tried out all the different tips and found the small double-flanged ones to seal and sound best. What do the TS400 tips do to the sound?
Edited by TMRaven - 9/14/13 at 11:40am
No price tag on the audeze yet just more and more pics of its gradually progressing design. The latest ones from the west coast meet look real good. Amazing what adding a metallic accent can do.
I wouldn't worry about the congestion if you're already used to IEMs and other closed headphones. It's par for the course. I'm just so used to the exceptionally layered sound of the HE-400 that even other closed headphones with decent clarity like the Mad Dogs sound badly congested.
Hmm I see, it would be unexpected for an iem to match the HE-400's layering abilities.
Btw raven, can you post a link to those images of the closed back LCD? I remember seeing the really early prototype, but haven't been keeping up with their progress.
My god they're beautiful. Now if they could do something about the headband to improve comfort.
God it's so hard to get used to the closed headphone and IEM sound congestion coming from open headphones. The little bass and more upper mids of the RE-400 compared to the HE-400 don't bother me as much as just the congestion. Plugging it into the magni/modi helps a little, but there's no practical point in doing that.
For 89 dollars though these will suffice for my portable usage. Definitely more warm and inviting of a sound than those ****ty Skullcandy Holua.
IE8 and Yamaha EPH are quite good for that (don't sound congested)
The ts400 is a very comfortable tip. Its isolate smuch better than any of the include tips to ny ears. I was using the stock bi flanges and they sounded best. But it was a pain to get a proper seal. They don't so much change the sound, but they add comfort isolation and let you get a better seal. Which in my case DID change the sound, enough so to warrant the 17 dollar pricetag. But. My diy tips sound near the same, they just aren't as comfy and won't last as long. So If you have foam ear plugs layin around, try that mod first before spending money, that's what I did. Liked them so much I bought the complys.
I don't think they are congested for IEMs, they are clear and transparent IMO. Despite being quite tiny both the RE-400 and RE-600 give a relatively good sense of airiness and 'out of your head' feeling, better than most I've heard anyway. The RE-600's soundstage is a bit larger overall in direct comparison. IEMs will always feel more intimate and 'in your head' compared to full-sized cans so you'll never truly escape that, but the latest in the RE series performs admirably. Full-sized open headphones are of course going to be superior in most regards so you have to expect it to be a bit jarring switching back and fourth. I just tried it and it's disorienting. On their own they are pretty great performers.
- **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › = Hifiman Regrilling Mod = 38 seconds ago
- › The Ear Pads Thread 1 minute ago
- › Fit Ear Master piece MH 335 DW Studio Reference First Prototype In... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x,... 2 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 3 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Experience with Ibasso amps 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by eke2k6
- › ASUS Essence III by 00lunar
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)