Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 833

post #12481 of 17760

Jumping on the HE-400 bandwagon, should have them this week sometime.  I'm also getting a Creative Sound Blaster ZXR since they are for computer use only.  Quick question, people say the HE-400 has a unique sonic signature.  Would anyone equate that with a Klipsch Horn?  If so, I like the Klipsch signature.  

post #12482 of 17760
Still no woodied he400s? Guess ill start taking mine apart....to attempt what I fear will lead to destruction and a feeling of self hatred...but I shall try!
post #12483 of 17760
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Still no woodied he400s? Guess ill start taking mine apart....to attempt what I fear will lead to destruction and a feeling of self hatred...but I shall try!

Fortune favors the brave...and if the expected happens, keep those anguished screams mutedbiggrin.gif. Good luck.

post #12484 of 17760
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Still no woodied he400s? Guess ill start taking mine apart....to attempt what I fear will lead to destruction and a feeling of self hatred...but I shall try!

 

I'm not sure if the wood would provide an impact towards improving the sound, or would just be a nice feature to have.  Marty of Martin Custom Audio has cut wooden Audeze cups recently and they look pretty good.  However, I suspect the cost of the cups could nearly add up towards the cost of the HE-400 itself.

 

Also, please do keep in mind that Hifiman did offer their first headphone, the HE-5 only in a wood cup.  However, I've read about many issues with the items splitting which resulted in Hifiman changing the process and moving towards the painted plastic cups that they use today.  But, the HE-5 sure is purdy.

 

post #12485 of 17760
Ya, its all aesthetics, for me, and I have a sheet of black limba here at home, so diy, no cost at all. Except for my ever precious time...
post #12486 of 17760
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Ya, its all aesthetics, for me, and I have a sheet of black limba here at home, so diy, no cost at all. Except for my ever precious time...

 

It would be lovely if the silver rings like the HE-5 could be produced so they could hold the mesh grills in place - just like the picture shows.  Then again, that part would be a bit over the top to produce without the necessary tools and material.

post #12487 of 17760
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Still no woodied he400s? Guess ill start taking mine apart....to attempt what I fear will lead to destruction and a feeling of self hatred...but I shall try!

Martin Custom Audio (known for Magnum/Grado wood mods and more) has done a few HiFiMans....and they all look spectacular! http://www.martincustomaudio.com/search?q=hifiman *drool disclaimer

post #12488 of 17760
Ya I've seen the mca ones. I meant more of a diy one. Martin is crazy pro, im an amateur. But I'm decent with ny hands, just lack the tools
post #12489 of 17760
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

Ya I've seen the mca ones. I meant more of a diy one. Martin is crazy pro, im an amateur. But I'm decent with ny hands, just lack the tools

You will likely need at least a lathe, even a simple one should do but it may take some time...just be patient and do the detail work with a dremel and finishing with sandpaper.  Trust me, I've thought about it haha... I just lack the lathe at this point.

post #12490 of 17760
i did my grado cups with hole saws and setup my drill press as a mock lathe, lots and lots of patience, but got it done, im very used to lathe work, my father was a very very good woodworker, i used to own a lathe, but it died on me. BUT, ill be buying a lathe hopefully in the next month, but i can get some of the work done prior with what i have now. I just dont think the black limba is strong enough. Anyhow, i dont want to get anyones hopes up here, i just really have been wanting to do this since before these hps ever even graced my head. Ill take pictures of everything, that way if it works out, maybe i can help some people accomplish the same. But, it will be a few months of piddling. Looking forward to hopefully getting the new jergpads by modular also!
post #12491 of 17760

So I have a question for the HE-400 fans here: I have a partially-written review (of the HE-400) in progress at the moment that's essentially negative and for that reason, I'm having second thoughts about finishing it and posting it. Seems like most people who've heard the HE-400 apparently love its sound. So I'm not sure my negative opinion will have a shared audience of even 1 when it seems like almost everyone on Head-Fi likes the HE-400. My question is, would there be any point for me to post a negative review of the HE-400? i.e., Would everyone just absolutely disagree with my negative opinion? Because if that's what's going to happen I'm probably not going to bother finishing writing it and just keep my negative opinion to myself. :p

post #12492 of 17760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post
 

So I have a question for the HE-400 fans here: I have a partially-written review (of the HE-400) in progress at the moment that's essentially negative and for that reason, I'm having second thoughts about finishing it and posting it. Seems like most people who've heard the HE-400 apparently love its sound. So I'm not sure my negative opinion will have a shared audience of even 1 when it seems like almost everyone on Head-Fi likes the HE-400. My question is, would there be any point for me to post a negative review of the HE-400? i.e., Would everyone just absolutely disagree with my negative opinion? Because if that's what's going to happen I'm probably not going to bother finishing writing it and just keep my negative opinion to myself. :p



Just as everything else, opinions gain value with rarity.


No point in writing another review just like the others, saying the same things with different words. Just tell us what you think. It will be interesting:)


Edited by realityhas - 9/4/13 at 2:34am
post #12493 of 17760
Not everyone likes the he-400. I would like to see the review as well.
post #12494 of 17760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post
 

So I have a question for the HE-400 fans here: I have a partially-written review (of the HE-400) in progress at the moment that's essentially negative and for that reason, I'm having second thoughts about finishing it and posting it. Seems like most people who've heard the HE-400 apparently love its sound. So I'm not sure my negative opinion will have a shared audience of even 1 when it seems like almost everyone on Head-Fi likes the HE-400. My question is, would there be any point for me to post a negative review of the HE-400? i.e., Would everyone just absolutely disagree with my negative opinion? Because if that's what's going to happen I'm probably not going to bother finishing writing it and just keep my negative opinion to myself. :p

The entire point of a review is to get the objective view of a respected member. I think it's important for you to post the review. Reviews become worthless if they are all glowing reports without a contrasting opinion. Of course, a few products are deserving of only praise but only a few. 

post #12495 of 17760

I do definitely think the HE-400 has fairly bug flaws, and my personal review would be partially positive, partially negative.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**