Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 831

post #12451 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulmaster View Post

Man, bumping the bass up 4-5 db with a gradual decline to 0 at 1000khz makes this headphone bump!

 

Jerg do you think this affects sound quality negatively? I'm having a great time with the bass right now and I feel guilty for some reason, like I could be sacrificing clarity for bass fun. 

Why would you feel guilty? Everyone enjoys something different, and the point is to [i]enjoy[/i] the music. There is no pre determined acoustic rule to how you should enjoy it.

post #12452 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulmaster View Post

Man, bumping the bass up 4-5 db with a gradual decline to 0 at 1000khz makes this headphone bump!

 

Jerg do you think this affects sound quality negatively? I'm having a great time with the bass right now and I feel guilty for some reason, like I could be sacrificing clarity for bass fun. 

I sure hope you meant 1000Hz...

post #12453 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulmaster View Post

Man, bumping the bass up 4-5 db with a gradual decline to 0 at 1000khz makes this headphone bump!

 

Jerg do you think this affects sound quality negatively? I'm having a great time with the bass right now and I feel guilty for some reason, like I could be sacrificing clarity for bass fun. 

Sure some bass EQ could work great, I would recommend that you make a compromise though, and make the bass elevation ~3 dB at the highest (around 100-150 Hz), and in the form of a gentle hump, could roll it off toward midrange much faster than 1000 Hz, I'd say let it peter out by 500 Hz is more than enough. At the very low end, you could bump up a separate slope toward 20Hz by 3dB or so to really push out the bass extension.

 

Or just go crazy, and swap between the crazy bass EQ and no EQ for different music. I like to make a compromising EQ (like what I outlined above) that can be used to spice up the music without needing to revert to no EQ for reference though.

post #12454 of 17747
Thread Starter 

I'm moving from my he-4 and have a pair of j$'s and jergpads by Modular that I need to relocate. PM if you have any interest. 


Edited by MattTCG - 8/30/13 at 5:36am
post #12455 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulmaster View Post

Man, bumping the bass up 4-5 db with a gradual decline to 0 at 1000khz makes this headphone bump!

 

Jerg do you think this affects sound quality negatively? I'm having a great time with the bass right now and I feel guilty for some reason, like I could be sacrificing clarity for bass fun. 

 

I would not increase any volume after about 650hz because the headphones already have a bump from about 700-1400hz so if you are increasing any of this it will likely make them sound worse / glare. Bump up the bass from 500hz down because the HE400 sound better with boosted bass.


Edited by nicholars - 8/30/13 at 7:29am
post #12456 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I'm moving from my he-4 and have a pair of j$'s and jergpads by Modular that I need to relocate. PM if you have any interest. 

I would give them a go if funds permitted, but I'm sure you'll find them a good home soon - GLWS!

post #12457 of 17747

Here is my latest experiment in extreme HE-400 EQ....

 

Even when EQ this amount the bass on these headphones is still tighter than pretty much any dynamic headphone I have heard and also the treble tizz is pretty much non-existant.... They sound sort of like HD650 but with faster sound and much better bass....

 

Most headphones sound horrible if you EQ this amount but for some reason the HE-400 refuse to distort or sound bad even with a 16db difference between the highest and lowest parts haha....

 


Edited by nicholars - 8/30/13 at 3:10pm
post #12458 of 17747

Seems that nobody is interested in my EQ experiments then :(

post #12459 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

Seems that nobody is interested in my EQ experiments then :(

 

We are.  But, it's just the curve ... or lack of a curve that has us all concerned.  When did you last have your hearing checked?  At the time, did they test you to determine which frequencies you could or couldn't hear?  biggrin.gif

post #12460 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

We are.  But, it's just the curve ... or lack of a curve that has us all concerned.  When did you last have your hearing checked?  At the time, did they test you to determine which frequencies you could or couldn't hear?  biggrin.gif

 

What do you mean by lack of a curve? Do you mean that the treble should be a smooth curve with 1db steps? I am not an expert in EQ or anything as you can probably see but I mess about with it a lot... I do not usually EQ as much as in that picture but the HE-400 seem to need it / respond well to EQ.

 

I am pretty sensitive to high frequencies and sibilance also I like bass on electronic music etc. so that is why I have quite a dip at the treble and big bass.... The treble dip is equivalent (opposite) to the spike in the treble on the frequency response graph...

 

That EQ is for electronic music... So if you listen to rock etc. mainly it will probably sound bad... With Electronic music however it sounds good to me...

 

If you can tell me how to make it better then I am interested :)


Edited by nicholars - 8/31/13 at 7:19am
post #12461 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

Seems that nobody is interested in my EQ experiments then :(

 

I'm interested because I like to mess around with EQ every now and then, but it seems a little overboard. That config paired with already bassy EDM music would transform the HE-400 into nothing but a bass canon. It's fun to try it out and see how much the HE-400 can handle (and it can handle a lot), but I wouldn't settle on that though.

post #12462 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

I'm interested because I like to mess around with EQ every now and then, but it seems a little overboard. That config paired with already bassy EDM music would transform the HE-400 into nothing but a bass canon. It's fun to try it out and see how much the HE-400 can handle (and it can handle a lot), but I wouldn't settle on that though.

 

Yes that EQ was more of an experiment, I was using it yesterday... Thats why it was titled "an experiment in extreme HE-400 EQ" lol. I do find that the HE-400 need a boost in the bass and a pretty significant dip in the treble or they hurt my ears.

 

 

 

 

 

What am I supposed to do to make this better?


Edited by nicholars - 8/31/13 at 7:51am
post #12463 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

 

What am I supposed to do to make this better?

 

Hmm well it's down to you and what you're after. If any less treble EQ hurts your ears then you might as well leave the treble as is. As for bass personally I don't touch it at all. It sounds perfect and well balanced to me stock so I leave it, but I may consider a little bump in the sub bass region.

 

I've posted this before but since we're on the topic, this is what my setup looks like currently

 

 

 

 

Top image is Foobar for music, bottom is EqualizerAPO (universal EQ) for youtube and gaming. For me the HE-400 is perfect across the entire spectrum apart from the treble, so that's the only area i change.


Edited by beaver316 - 8/31/13 at 7:53am
post #12464 of 17747

How do you get that EQ as a plugin for foobar?

 

The dip in the treble looks similar except mine looks like it is more because of the shape of the image? Is yours about 6db as well?


Edited by nicholars - 8/31/13 at 7:58am
post #12465 of 17747
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

How do you get that EQ as a plugin for foobar?

 

The dip in the treble looks similar except mine looks like it is more because of the shape of the image? Is yours about 6db as well?

 

Nah mine is about 4.5db at it's lowest point. I don't want to totally remove the treble sparkle, I just want it less jarring. 

 

To get that EQ you'll first need a VST Wrapper, I recommend George Yohng's one. Secondly the free edition of the EQ plugin itself. Setting them up can be a little confusing, pm me if you need help with that.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**