Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 795

post #11911 of 17913

Seriously guys, what's going on? confused.gif  I'm starting to feel like my Magni isn't enough to make my HE-400s shine, but that isn't what everyone is saying on this website... Maybe it's the settings I'm using on my Xonar DG or the card itself. So what are the best amps for the HE-400?

post #11912 of 17913
Thread Starter 

Because the he400 amps so easily for an ortho, it won't take much to get to 90-95% of what it can do. The m/m combo is a clear upgrade over the iphone, no question so I'm not sure what is going on there. I found that the e17 was very good for the he400. Now this hp will scale some. It sounded really good from the A2 and just a touch better from the lyr which was clearly overkill. 

 

Don't ever underestimate source. Good source is always crucial. Crap in=crap out. 

post #11913 of 17913

I don't know what the best is but the 400's really sound great with the Lyr as long as you're using good source material. Actually, the Lyr has made all of my headphones (Grado, AKG and HiFiMan) sound better than before. Email Jason at Schiit Audio and get his opinion, he's always been VERY helpful to me with regards to amps AND headphones. There have been some GREAT recordings (great music recorded very, very well) mentioned in this thread, try some of those recordings and see if you get better results. 

Good Luck!

post #11914 of 17913
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJTech View Post

I don't know what the best is but the 400's really sound great with the Lyr as long as you're using good source material. Actually, the Lyr has made all of my headphones (Grado, AKG and HiFiMan) sound better than before. Email Jason at Schiit Audio and get his opinion, he's always been VERY helpful to me with regards to amps AND headphones. There have been some GREAT recordings (great music recorded very, very well) mentioned in this thread, try some of those recordings and see if you get better results. 
Good Luck!
+1, replace the stock tubes too.
post #11915 of 17913

A Lyr costs more than the cans themselves, not sure if I can justify that. Actually, screw justification, I couldn't afford a Lyr even if I wanted one. What I can afford is maybe an E07k or E17. Since I already have amping covered for desktop operation with my magni, would either of them paired with the magni bring them to 97%?

post #11916 of 17913
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omark12 View Post

A Lyr costs more than the cans themselves, not sure if I can justify that. Actually, screw justification, I couldn't afford a Lyr even if I wanted one. What I can afford is maybe an E07k or E17. Since I already have amping covered for desktop operation with my magni, would either of them paired with the magni bring them to 97%?

 

The only way to justify the lyr purchase is if you have other cans that will benefit from it. 

post #11917 of 17913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omark12 View Post

A Lyr costs more than the cans themselves, not sure if I can justify that. Actually, screw justification, I couldn't afford a Lyr even if I wanted one. What I can afford is maybe an E07k or E17. Since I already have amping covered for desktop operation with my magni, would either of them paired with the magni bring them to 97%?

 

What about a Xonar STX as your dac section and use the RCA > Magni....

 

The dac on the STX is pretty damn good.... Better than most external dac's under about £250 anyway.

 

Xonar STX > RCA > Schiit Magni > HE-400

post #11918 of 17913
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

What about a Xonar STX as your dac section and use the RCA > Magni....

 

The dac on the STX is pretty damn good.... Better than most external dac's under about £250 anyway.

 

Xonar STX > RCA > Schiit Magni > HE-400

I have a Xonar DG and for some reason I just don't feel like an STX would make a huge difference... I'm using the same amp anyway. I'm trying to stay away from internal cards, an E07k/E17 wouldn't have an as good or better dac?

post #11919 of 17913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omark12 View Post

I have a Xonar DG and for some reason I just don't feel like an STX would make a huge difference... I'm using the same amp anyway. I'm trying to stay away from internal cards, an E07k/E17 wouldn't have an as good or better dac?

The 'quality' of the DAC is probably essentially equal. My computer is crazy noisy (electrically) and I've tried a few different cards to no avail, but an external works perfect for me. YMMV I know a lot of guys use internals and they can be great I'm sure
post #11920 of 17913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omark12 View Post

I have a Xonar DG and for some reason I just don't feel like an STX would make a huge difference... I'm using the same amp anyway. I'm trying to stay away from internal cards, an E07k/E17 wouldn't have an as good or better dac?

 

If you have a decent PC with a decent PSU and case then personally I think the STX is a better option. However if you are set on an external dac then I probably won't be able to change your mind because you want an external box.

 

With an STX you are actually getting a very good DAC with EM shielding and also an excellent power supply (if you have a good PSU in your PC)... Also has a lot of other features such as dolby headphone etc. With a Fiio for example you are getting a worse power supply, paying money for the external casing, less features and a worse actual dac....

 

If you want to spend like £300 then you could get a better external dac than the STX but with your budget I would not bother because you will get bigger improvements from other components.


Edited by nicholars - 8/4/13 at 10:32am
post #11921 of 17913
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

If you have a decent PC with a decent PSU and case then personally I think the STX is a better option. However if you are set on an external dac then I probably won't be able to change your mind because you want an external box.

 

With an STX you are actually getting a very good DAC with EM shielding and also an excellent power supply (if you have a good PSU in your PC)... Also has a lot of other features such as dolby headphone etc. With a Fiio for example you are getting a worse power supply, paying money for the external casing, less features and a worse actual dac....

 

If you want to spend like £300 then you could get a better external dac than the STX but with your budget I would not bother because you will get bigger improvements from other components.

 

Oh believe me I'm an avid dolby headphone user, but even with my current card I could have it stream DH through wave to an external DAC like the E17/E07k. And why does power suppy matter if I'm using a magni?

post #11922 of 17913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omark12 View Post

 

Oh believe me I'm an avid dolby headphone user, but even with my current card I could have it stream DH through wave to an external DAC like the E17/E07k. And why does power suppy matter if I'm using a magni?

 

Well one of the things that you will get on more expensive dac's is a better power supply... Better dacs have a dedicated supply whereas cheaper ones have a power brick / plug.... I do not know how much of a real world difference it makes.... But that is one of the things you are paying for with a high end dac... Better power supply... If you are using a good PSU in your PC then the STX is using a high quality power source.... Better than a power brick on a cheap external dac anyway...

 

BTW I went through a few different external dacs under £300 before I "downgraded" to a Xonar STX.... So I am not just mindlessly hyping the STX. IMO any external DAC under about £250-£300, you are paying the money for a pretty case, buttons, connections etc. and the actual performance will not be any better or possible worse than the STX.... Probably some of the expensive dac's are better, I have not tried them....


Edited by nicholars - 8/4/13 at 11:44am
post #11923 of 17913
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

Well one of the things that you will get on more expensive dac's is a better power supply... Better dacs have a dedicated supply whereas cheaper ones have a power brick / plug.... I do not know how much of a real world difference it makes.... But that is one of the things you are paying for with a high end dac... Better power supply... If you are using a good PSU in your PC then the STX is using a high quality power source.... Better than a power brick on a cheap external dac anyway...

Well if this makes more sense for why not to have the STX, I'm running a 4 year old PC. Core 2 Duo, DDR2 ram, 550 watt psu.

post #11924 of 17913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omark12 View Post

Well if this makes more sense for why not to have the STX, I'm running a 4 year old PC. Core 2 Duo, DDR2 ram, 550 watt psu.

 

Hmm well as I said if you have your mind set on an external box then I will probably not change your mind...

 

The quality of the components is not the issue, if you have a decent PC case and a good PSU from a good brand.

 

I only have a core2quad and a 650w antec PSU...

post #11925 of 17913
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

With an STX you are actually getting a very good DAC with EM shielding and also an excellent power supply (if you have a good PSU in your PC)... Also has a lot of other features such as dolby headphone etc. With a Fiio for example you are getting a worse power supply, paying money for the external casing, less features and a worse actual dac....

 

Nicholars, I don't hope you are talking about the STX as being a technically better DAC because it has a better DAC chip than so many other DACs in the same price range.. Because, I guess we both know that the DAC chip is not necessarily that important.

 

But anyway... I defo see your point, but you kind of make it sound like there is not better DAC under 300£ which seem pretty drastic. I suppose you haven't tried 'em all.

 

 

Ohh, I almost forgot.. Personally I think the e17 DAC is pretty mediocre. Really nothing special, just a decent allrounder. Just.. get something slightly better or look into some of those budget DACs... Like the hifimediy sabre DAC or something.


Edited by davidsh - 8/4/13 at 3:44pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**