Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 794

post #11896 of 17028

I don't know what I would do if my Nala and Ash (both cats) would pass away. :'( My condolences.

post #11897 of 17028
Thread Starter 
Many thanks everyone.
post #11898 of 17028

Hey guys

Could any of you post their HE-400 eq settings for foobar? I found a post by Raven where he uploded his but I can't download them anymore:/

post #11899 of 17028
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiserFS View Post

A lot also depends on how well the HE-400 have synergy with the rest of one's rig. I dare to say that Audio-Gd gear still has the best synergy.

 

I think it probably depends largely on the DAC used.

NFB-11.32 has Sabre ES9018, which is very detailed, but not bright - sounds great with HE-400 both through the DAC and HP outputs.The treble is less bothersome when it's packed with details - noise becomes music.

post #11900 of 17028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luczez View Post

Hey guys

Could any of you post their HE-400 eq settings for foobar? I found a post by Raven where he uploded his but I can't download them anymore:/

 

This is what mine looks like. 

 

post #11901 of 17028

Hello everyone! I'm currently experiencing a few problems with my HE-400s and I'm going to have to send them in for repair, and I decided to check out Head-Fi since I haven't been here since around March! (been so happy with my headphones that I haven't felt the need to keep up-to-date with everything else) So, has anything changed in the time I've been gone? New revisions, etc?

post #11902 of 17028

I wonder why this weight thing is so subjective.

I have a rather thin neck and most time i had problems with my neck cracking often. Since i use the HE-400 I actually dont have neck pain anymore and the cracking is gone.

Almost as if my neck muscles have gotten stronger.

On the pressure thing, I had it on the top of my head but seems I got used to it, and after changing to the beyer pads, the comfort around the ears is great.

 

All in all, I do feel they are too heavy and huge (especially for their own safety).

post #11903 of 17028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocharged View Post

Hello everyone! I'm currently experiencing a few problems with my HE-400s and I'm going to have to send them in for repair, and I decided to check out Head-Fi since I haven't been here since around March! (been so happy with my headphones that I haven't felt the need to keep up-to-date with everything else) So, has anything changed in the time I've been gone? New revisions, etc?

HiFiMan have recently released In-Ear phones and I think a portable player, that's all.

post #11904 of 17028
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspaw View Post

I wonder why this weight thing is so subjective.
I have a rather thin neck and most time i had problems with my neck cracking often. Since i use the HE-400 I actually dont have neck pain anymore and the cracking is gone.
Almost as if my neck muscles have gotten stronger.
On the pressure thing, I had it on the top of my head but seems I got used to it, and after changing to the beyer pads, the comfort around the ears is great.

All in all, I do feel they are too heavy and huge (especially for their own safety).

I personally was shocked at how light the he400s were the first time I put them on my head. I can understand the complaints about the lcd2/3 but not the he400s.
post #11905 of 17028

Do female vocals on the HE-400 sounds more forward than those of the HD-650? I'm guessing it's a huge NO.

I know it depends a lot on the recording etc. If it's accurate they can always sound distant when required..I'm ok with that.

 

Most annoying thing about any headphone for me other than too much bass is recessed/distant sounding vocals. Luckily I've not experienced this much.

 

Don't have a clue if i'd like the HE-400 or not but it's been on my radar a little.

 

I just need to find the Hifiman headphone that's best for female vocals (Iike found in Jpop etc) that doesn't require some new monster amp.

post #11906 of 17028
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Do female vocals on the HE-400 sounds more forward than those of the HD-650? I'm guessing it's a huge NO.

I know it depends a lot on the recording etc. If it's accurate they can always sound distant when required..I'm ok with that.

 

Most annoying thing about any headphone for me other than too much bass is recessed/distant sounding vocals. Luckily I've not experienced this much.

 

Don't have a clue if i'd like the HE-400 or not but it's been on my radar a little.

 

I just need to find the Hifiman headphone that's best for female vocals (Iike found in Jpop etc) that doesn't require some new monster amp.

HE500 would be your best bet (it's Hifiman's most "relatively" efficient planar headphone after HE400). Though you might want to get something with more heft than E17. I know because I had HE500 + E17 for months before I upgrade to an AudioGD amp with about 10x more power.

post #11907 of 17028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

HE500 would be your best bet (it's Hifiman's most "relatively" efficient planar headphone after HE400). Though you might want to get something with more heft than E17. I know because I had HE500 + E17 for months before I upgrade to an AudioGD amp with about 10x more power.

 

Yeah I don't plan to use the Hifiman headphones as a portable. I mainly use the E17 as a DAC or as a TV/bedroom amp. I actually have the Micro Amp and that has tons of power despite being so small. Probably not like the Lyr or even Asgard2. I just know that it drives the K400 extremely well and that's the most power hungry headphone i've ever had. I actually think the E17 is kind of not enough for even my Q701. It doesn't sound bad, but the Q701 doesn't seem like it's at it's best. The E17's soundstage is also rather small compared to my main setup. I think I like the E17 as a DAC more than an amp! Modi is still my favorite though.

 

I'll be surprised if there's a headphone the Micro can't drive well. I bet it's power output is even greater than the Matrix M-Stage, but don't remember the exact specs. I think they're on IF somewhere but I think he only reviewed the battery version (I think).

 

The HE-400 is one headphone where I just need to ignore the graphs, not that I trust any of them. HE-500 is way above my price range but I still would like to try it someday or maybe find one used. I try not to go past $400 for headphones.

post #11908 of 17028
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

Yeah I don't plan to use the Hifiman headphones as a portable. I mainly use the E17 as a DAC or as a TV/bedroom amp. I actually have the Micro Amp and that has tons of power despite being so small. Probably not like the Lyr or even Asgard2. I just know that it drives the K400 extremely well and that's the most power hungry headphone i've ever had. I actually think the E17 is kind of not enough for even my Q701. It doesn't sound bad, but the Q701 doesn't seem like it's at it's best. The E17's soundstage is also rather small compared to my main setup. I think I like the E17 as a DAC more than an amp! Modi is still my favorite though.

 

I'll be surprised if there's a headphone the Micro can't drive well. I bet it's power output is even greater than the Matrix M-Stage, but don't remember the exact specs. I think they're on IF somewhere but I think he only reviewed the battery version (I think).

 

The HE-400 is one headphone where I just need to ignore the graphs, not that I trust any of them. HE-500 is way above my price range but I still would like to try it someday or maybe find one used. I try not to go past $400 for headphones.

You could, ya know, sell a few pieces of gear first and buff up your budget limit tongue.gif

post #11909 of 17028
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

Not to stray to far off topic, but just thought I'd mention / ask the following:

 

1) Are there any current users who have the Aune tube amp with DAC paired with the HE-400?  If so, how does it treat the sibilance in certain tracks with vocals?  Thanks

Apologies for the late reply to this. I use HE-400s with J$ pads and a Mullard ECC88 in an Aune T1. No problem with sibilance whatsoever at my end. If there are particular tracks you would like me to test please let me know.

post #11910 of 17028
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

The HE-400 is one headphone where I just need to ignore the graphs, not that I trust any of them. HE-500 is way above my price range but I still would like to try it someday or maybe find one used. I try not to go past $400 for headphones.

 

If you already have the HE-400's and enjoy them the best thing you can do is try to forget about other can's and just enjoy the music. Spending too much time chasing the rabbit down the hole can prevent one from truly enjoying what this is suppose to be about in the first place...MUSIC.

 

Best of luck!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**